GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Test drove a 2015 Civic Si

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
So recently I had the thought. My car is getting up in miles and with a new kiddo in the house I wanted to minimize the amount of time in the garage fixing stuff. I wanted something fun to keep myself reasonably entertained for my daily grind, but also accessible and easy to use with the family on the weekends. So I've got a short list of cars that are as close to new as possible for the price I set, and the 2015 Civic Si is right in the sweet spot.

The Si was....... disappointing.

To be fair, there seemed to be something going on with this one because they surely aren't supposed to torque steer as much as this one did, wonder on the highway as much as it did, or vibrate the steering wheel so much. But it only had 38k miles, so wtf. Alignment off? Probably. In need of a tire balancing? Also probably. But neither of those should induce much highway speed torque steer.

That said, the interior was nice enough, the exterior was handsome enough (sedan model), but it just wasn't..... fun. When I think of Honda engine sounds I think of the amazing induction noises from VTEC K20s and B-series engines. The K24 just sounded coarse, like it had no business being in a sport focused vehicle, nor did it feel like it had its rated power output. Handling was fine, although I didn't get an opportunity to really feel it out.

The shining jewel of the car was the shifter, which rates as among the best I've ever used, but it just wasn't enough to make me like the car. My well cared for seven year old 110k mile Volkswagen just drives so much nicer, even with the worn out OEM suspension. I also have a new appreciation of the noises the EA888 makes (stock intake and exhaust, w/2010 noise pipe still in place), which are so dramatically better that I wouldn't have believed it if you told me prior to driving the Honda.

So here's the question..... assuming I don't find another car I like as much as my GTI and I choose to keep it and just pay a shop to repair the thing when it breaks, what can I do to get my shifter feeling anything like the one in the Si? Would a Dieselgeek kit and a weighted knob do the trick?

At this point it seems like my only other options for a fun car to throw the wife and kiddo in would be a MkVII GTI and the Ford ST twins. WRX is off the list because I can't find one with an "in warranty" odometer reading for less than $20k.

GuiltySpark

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll chime in about the shifter and my experience. I came from a 2004 RX-8 with an axial flow short shifter and now have a 2012 GTI with a dieselgeek shift kit.

The GTI's shifter still feels like i'm rowing a paddle in barrel of molasses and rocks.

Honda's and IMO the RWD Mazda's have some of the best in the business so getting even close is going to be quite hard.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I'll chime in about the shifter and my experience. I came from a 2004 RX-8 with an axial flow short shifter and now have a 2012 GTI with a dieselgeek shift kit.

The GTI's shifter still feels like i'm rowing a paddle in barrel of molasses and rocks.

Honda's and IMO the RWD Mazda's have some of the best in the business so getting even close is going to be quite hard.

What fluid is in your transmission? With my stock shifter and OEM fluid I wouldn't say that it feels like molasses in there. It just doesn't feel as direct and precise as a good Mazda or Honda shifter.

But yeah, those two companies really know how to build a good manual shifter. It's a shame that neither company offers something fun with that equipment that I can toss a child seat in the back of.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion

Out of all the manual transmission vehicles that I ever owned, the 6 speed in my 2007 6MT accord was the best shifting factory installed manual that I ever owned. I liked it better than the manual transmissions in my 1997 Civic, 2006 Mustang GT, and 2012 WRX.

Philimon

Ready to race!
I'm pretty sure the focus has significantly less rear leg room than the GTI.

I also want something with more rear legroom and reliability and a manual transmission. The current gen Accord Sport is atop the list (used for like 17k less or more depending on miles).

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I think the Focus ST deserves a look. If you can get past the look of the interior & its cheap plastic feel. I don't know about leg room, but it sure looks like head room is lacking for the rear seat passengers. A couple of friends have them & like their ST's very much.

If you want to feel a great shifter drive a Miata.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Out of all the manual transmission vehicles that I ever owned, the 6 speed in my 2007 6MT accord was the best shifting factory installed manual that I ever owned. I liked it better than the manual transmissions in my 1997 Civic, 2006 Mustang GT, and 2012 WRX.

How sad is that? I mean it's awesome that the Accord comes with such a sweet shifter, but it's a shame that more vehicles can't have that treatment.

I'm pretty sure the focus has significantly less rear leg room than the GTI.

I also want something with more rear legroom and reliability and a manual transmission. The current gen Accord Sport is atop the list (used for like 17k less or more depending on miles).

There's a 2013 Accord Sport nearby with a clutch that looks like it's in decent shape with low miles for a surprisingly low price. I think I might enjoy it, but I think I'd ultimately kick myself for not getting something a little more performance oriented.

I think the Focus ST deserves a look. If you can get past the look of the interior & its cheap plastic feel. I don't know about leg room, but it sure looks like head room is lacking for the rear seat passengers. A couple of friends have them & like their ST's very much.

If you want to feel a great shifter drive a Miata.

Yeah, the interior quality of most of the cars I'm looking at are a step down in interior quality compared to my GTI. Still, I'll have a look at the Focus ST. Thankfully the people who would spend time in the back are all short enough that back seat headroom shouldn't be an issue and I'll only be driving the family around in it in town, we'll use the wife's Camry for out of town runs. What I'm more concerned with is seat comfort, something my wife hated about the last Accord we tested.

Miata....... if only I could get both my wife and kid into it at the same time. If I really, really wanted a Miata I'd get one, but it's really fun to enjoy screaming around in a car that turns and accelerates like the GTI with the family in tow.

Philimon

Ready to race!
Look at the Mazda6 reviews. It's sportier than the accord with a Miata-esque shifter. However, the 4cylinder seems to be not as nice as the accords, and I prefer the accords looks and residual value.

Of course there is the GLI which is also one of the cars I am strongly considering as a second car because of that leg room and similar gti interior and performance and sound.

Perhaps a certified or bumper to bumper warrantied bmw? I would love such except I want a car that I can expect to happily want to keep beyond warranty.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
The Mazda6 is a really pretty car, and I've read that it drives nice too. My mother in law has a current Mazda3 w/2.0 and auto and it drives much better than that combo should. The transmission is one of the best auto boxes I've used. Not as snappy as a dual clutch unit, but surprisingly nice to use compared to most.

I always wanted a Mazda with a Honda engine in it. Like an RX-8 with an F20C, or a Mazda3 hatch with a K20Z3. I always liked driving rotary engines, but I don't want to live with another one.

I'll have a look at BMWs but I'm not sure I could find one that I'd be happy with for under $20k.

The next car I look at will probably be that Focus ST. I feel like there's a fair chance that I could get one for around under $20k before TTL. If I can't, I'll casually look at other cars and keep driving the GTI (it helps that I still really love this car). Hell, if I daily drive the thing another 2-3 years it'll be worth so little that I'd be better off keeping it as a project car than selling it or trading it.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I test drove the Focus ST today. It was new and there was a lot of traffic so I couldn't get aggressive enough to enjoy its virtues.

The clutch was weird, gas/brake pedal spacing was weird (hard to heel-toe), steering was quick (nice), shifter was decent, brake feel was amazing (that's a sore spot with the GTI though). The seats weren't as nice as my GTI's, but not so much that it was a deal breaker.

Overall I did like the car, probably enough to buy one, but I really can't say that I enjoyed it any more than the car I have. I think that my car with a couple of upgrades would be a better drive, but the ST is new and has a warranty.

I might enjoy the ST more if I had the opportunity to really feel out the handling. I'm on the fence on this one.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Go to another dealer for a test drive. Try to find a dealer that is close to some semi deserted roads. Driving in traffic really doesn't tell you what you want to know.