GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$25 (shipped) "Euro" switches on ebay... they work!

Skitals

Ready to race!
So I bought a "Euro" switch on ebay from a Chinese seller for $4.99 + $20 shipping. Was delivered 11 calendar days after "buy it now." Installed today with a trigger wire I got from VW, and it works.

This is the exact same China made switch bold-sport and others are selling for double the price. An actual German made switch is even more. But in reality, they are identical. The China made switch is a real VW part just made and sold for the Chinese market. There is no difference in appearance or functionality.

Just thought I would put this out there. Not knocking bold-sport (just got a "euro" cup holder from them) or others, but they are selling the same China made VW parts but marking them up drastically for a US audience. It's not even like they are stocking these parts and shipping from the US... they are shipping directly from Hong Kong.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
So I bought a "Euro" switch on ebay from a Chinese seller for $4.99 + $20 shipping. Was delivered 11 calendar days after "buy it now." Installed today with a trigger wire I got from VW, and it works.

This is the exact same China made switch bold-sport and others are selling for double the price. An actual German made switch is even more. But in reality, they are identical. The China made switch is a real VW part just made and sold for the Chinese market. There is no difference in appearance or functionality.

Just thought I would put this out there. Not knocking bold-sport (just got a "euro" cup holder from them) or others, but they are selling the same China made VW parts but marking them up drastically for a US audience. It's not even like they are stocking these parts and shipping from the US... they are shipping directly from Hong Kong.

There IS a difference between OEM and Chinese when it comes to the light switches.

I have a Chinese switch and had issues with it, so I disassembled both it and the OEM switch. They are very different internally. I did a bit of modifying and got my Chinese switch to work, but had I known about this (or that what I was buying off another user was chinese) I would've made sure to buy an OEM switch.

Skitals

Ready to race!
Also to complete the install, you need a trigger wire. The VW part number is: 000979009E

I got mine from KefferVW along with my lip, so I didn't pay extra for shipping. Shipping is cost inhibitive to buy it alone online. This seller on ebay sells them for $8.49 shipped.

You need ONE wire for just the city lights. You will need a SECOND wire if you also have a rear fog light.

You can also get the wire from your local VW parts department, though I didn't check and I don't know if this is a part they keep stocked.

Skitals

Ready to race!
There IS a difference between OEM and Chinese when it comes to the light switches.

I have a Chinese switch and had issues with it, so I disassembled both it and the OEM switch. They are very different internally. I did a bit of modifying and got my Chinese switch to work, but had I known about this (or that what I was buying off another user was chinese) I would've made sure to buy an OEM switch.

What issues did you have? Did you take pics of the internals?

Keep in mind, bold-sport sell the chinese switch as "VW OEM" for $44.99 +shipping. ECS markets it as "Original Equipment Supplier" for $59.95 shipped. Both are IDENTICAL to the ebay switch for $24.99 shipped. To get the "real" European VW switch is $85.

Point being, if you want the chinese made "OEM" switch, get it on ebay. I agree if you bought it from ECS, the price difference isn't that drastic ($60->$85). But $25->$85 is a huge price difference. You can buy 3 and hope at least one of them works right :) But a switch is a switch. If china can manufacture the iphone, I think they can make a switch.

Skitals

Ready to race!
What kind of modification did you have to do? At $5, I don't think you can hate on it!

No modification, switch is plug and play. As i mentioned above you need a trigger wire(s) to get the full functionality. I got it so I can run my city lights and fog lights independently of my headlights.

Skitals

Ready to race!
Is it a biznatch to install the trigger wire?

Took me maybe 10 minutes, hardest part was removing the plastic cover from the CECM connector. Here is the DIY I followed.

The guide is very thorough and makes it look more complicated than it is. You slip the wire into pin 3 on the switch connector, and slip the wire into pin 19 on the CECM connector. I cheated and popped the fuse panel cover and it gives you a direct way to route the wire without having to fish it with a coat hanger. That is the biggest complaint people have. The wire is just long enough to run it over top the fuse panel.

Skitals

Ready to race!
FYI, this is how I ran the trigger wire. Ignore the other 3 wires, they are for my boost gauge.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
What issues did you have? Did you take pics of the internals?

Keep in mind, bold-sport sell the chinese switch as "VW OEM" for $44.99 +shipping. ECS markets it as "Original Equipment Supplier" for $59.95 shipped. Both are IDENTICAL to the ebay switch for $24.99 shipped. To get the "real" European VW switch is $85.

Point being, if you want the chinese made "OEM" switch, get it on ebay. I agree if you bought it from ECS, the price difference isn't that drastic ($60->$85). But $25->$85 is a huge price difference. You can buy 3 and hope at least one of them works right :) But a switch is a switch. If china can manufacture the iphone, I think they can make a switch.
Mine is a Euro Auto switch (OFF/AUTO/CITY/ON) with both front and rear fogs

The off position wouldn't turn the lights off, it actually turned them on because it would throw an error (Implausible signal) and for safety (I believe) turn them on. This is because it wouldn't disconnect one of the contacts due to cheap internals and would have multiple pins "activated" which should never be activated together. Lucky for me I am very good with electronics and was able to troubleshoot/disassemble/rig it to work. Works as intended now, but I am prepared to buy an OEM one when it finally decides to stop working again.