GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

05588: Driver Side Air Bag Igniter Fault (N95)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Welcome to another journey of Gramble's MIL diagnosing. :D

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 1K0-909-605.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 1K0 909 605 AB HW: 1K0 909 605 AB
Component and/or Version: 6K AIRBAG VW8R 034 8000
Software Coding: 0013899
Work Shop Code: WSC 01269 785 00200
Additional Info: 1K0959339G BF-Gewichtsens. 007 0007
Additional Info: Geraet 00200
VCID: 6CF1F69A4F2D4F78EDD
1 Fault Found:

00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON

So, I got this fault on Tuesday sort of randomly when pulling out of my driveway. I cleared it and drove my happy way to work. No issues until I got off the interstate.

Upon doing some research with what little references I had, I found out that the clock spring was a key target for this issue. Praying the best, I cleared the fault hoping it would just shutup and go away. Unfortunately it came back again.

I decided that taking a lazy and wishful approach was not going to solve this matter this time. So I had to take it up a notch. I started to take note of when it happened after I cleared it and specific instances where the fault would occur. I noticed IMMEDIATELY that it never happened while on the interstate. Seems right since I'm driving in a straight line. It would happen almost instantly when turning the wheel beyond 25-30*. This was telling me I need to replace my clock spring in my steering wheel. But, still....hoping for the best I kept an eye on it this morning to see what happened.

No MIL coming to work, but after stopping and turning the wheel to the right to back into a parking spot the fault popped up immediately. I figured an objective approach would eliminate this speculation.

I decided to log the Air bag resistance across the igniter (Air Bag Control Moldule > Measuring Blocks > Group 21) and came up with this after turning the wheel back and forth a few times.

The 8 represents a "TOO HIGH" reading from the sensor. I needed to quantify it to show it on the graph:

Notice anything? Yeah, the Driver side aig bag resistance is WACK. Its totally dependent on the Steering angle too. I'm going to have to look into it further, but its looking like I'm going to have to spend $ to get a new clock spring.

More on this later.

Attachments

• Airbag Resistance.JPG
    Airbag Resistance.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 7,544
  • Airbag Diagnosis.txt
    8.1 KB · Views: 465

A_Bowers

1st....:D couldnt resist

Reading now

You are right on the money sir. VAGCOM to save the day. Thats going to be interesting to try and pry that wheel off to get to the wiring harness....HOPEFULLY it is like they are saying and is a ribbon cable that just plugs in on both ends.

Then you can slap the wheel back together.

Something is opening up...hence your Resistance is running up and down and up and down. It would be interesting to stick a meter on it once it is out and see how high the resistance is going...VAGCOM is reading up to 8 ohms...just to see how bad of a break or open circuit you have.

Glad you have pinpointed the issue though. My money goes there as well.

Last edited:

A_Bowers

A_Bowers

Well...maybe not..Read over the DIY guide...1st time will be slow. Hopefully the only time. Put the car on jack stands again, shouldnt have any issues getting the wheel to turn 90.

You got a bead on getting a clock spring sensor yet? Would Keffer stock that item?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I have NO problem doing it, minus the air bag stuff. Worse comes to awful, it deploys and I replace it....but it shouldnt be bad once the battery has been disconnected for about 30mins

A_Bowers

I have NO problem doing it, minus the air bag stuff. Worse comes to awful, it deploys and I replace it....but it shouldnt be bad once the battery has been disconnected for about 30mins

And hopefully your face isnt 6inches from it. :yikes:

Agreed.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Update:

1) Paddles dont work
2) MFSW Buttons dont work
3) Horn Doesnt work
4) Airbag light
5) Steering wheel signal implausible VAGCOM fault
6) Lights on the SW Doesnt work.

Conclusion: Bad Clock spring. $100 from keffer.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Clock Spring: 1K0959653C $120 shipped from Keffer

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
The Clock spring install was very very interesting. Most of the time when you work on your car, your constantly moving from one spot to another. However, for this install, I stayed in my front seat the entire time starting at the column. The install was very straight forward, but I'm definitely a person that doesnt like to mix it up with electrical stuff. Still, I guess having automotive experience and some logical thinking, I managed to do it without even looking at a DIY.

With the clock spring out and the new one in, I manage to have the entire work done in an hour. This includes a trip to Autozone since I did not have a T8 torx. Cleared all of the codes and drove around for a little bit to make sure everything worked......even beeped my horn about 50 times throughout the neighborhood. They're happy with me for sure