GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY hockey puck jack pad

Scotty2Hotty

Go Kart Champion
OK, dumb question time...

I am going to cut a channel into a hockey puck to use as a jack pad. Do I want to cut it shallow, so that the contact point is still the bottom of the lip (the green part circled on the left) or deep enough that the puck actually contacts the car higher up, assuming the puck is even deep enough (the parts circled in green on the right)?

These diagrams depict the puck from the side view with the pinch weld lip at differing depths.

Sorry about my lame-ass MS Paint skillz. I just want to make the question clear...

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion

Scotty2Hotty

Go Kart Champion
Still doesn't answer my question. Do you want the contact to be the lip itself or the metal above it?

Muskie

Go Kart Champion
You aren't going to hurt it by resting it on the pinch weld, I would cut your hockey puck just almost to the flat edge. It is going to settle a little bit.

Pinch weld is where most lifts lift the car, and those are usually just a metal piece

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Still doesn't answer my question. Do you want the contact to be the lip itself or the metal above it?

The Pinch weld lip itself is pretty heavily reinforced. I've got a lift and have raised the car a dozen or more times in the past 2 months with just a flat rubber pad on the reinforced pinch area...No problems or deformation.

If using a hard Puck, I'd groove it a little just to keep it in position.

Scotty2Hotty

Go Kart Champion
You aren't going to hurt it by resting it on the pinch weld, I would cut your hockey puck just almost to the flat edge. It is going to settle a little bit.

Pinch weld is where most lifts lift the car, and those are usually just a metal piece

So whether the puck contacts the pinch or the frame just above the pinch, it really shouldn't matter, right?

I'm fixing to put my winter wheels on towards the end of the month.

Muskie

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I'd grove it like 3/4 up the pinch weld, because it is eventually going to settle in deeper. You will be fine either way though. Just make sure the puck stays on the jack pad....

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I did the same thing with a puck using the option on the left (ie: the pinch rests on the groove) as Modshack has suggested.

The only thing is, I thought you had to be Canadian to do this 'mod'!

NeedsMoar

Passed Driver's Ed
The only thing is, I thought you had to be Canadian to do this 'mod'!

And here I thought a Canadian would never deface a hockey puck in such a way!

(sorry for adding pointless comments to your thread op - but thanks for asking the question since I'm coicidentaly modding a puck myself tomorrow. )

Scotty2Hotty

Go Kart Champion
You guys have to stop talking about this. FocalPoint ended the thread, remember? You have to use a fucking brick from your neighbor's driveway.

mkviken

Ready to race!
i fitted audi TT lift pads to my GTI today

really simple to fit and gives a solid place to lift of without touching the body.

i would invest £20 in these and save the puck