GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warning style 10 beep sound on start

AnthonyP619

Hello everyone, glad I can finally post this on the forum. I just recently purchased a used 2013 GTI and had the exhaust manifold gaskets repaired under PZEV warranty about a week ago.

After about a 24 hour period, I heard this strange sound that would go off after letting the car sit a while. It only sounds when I actually turn the engine over (not in accessory key position). It sounds like a warning sound but the car runs great and there are no light warnings on the HUD. The sound is always ten beeps. To be honest it sounds like it's coming from a different, singular, accessory speaker (not the stereo speakers that bings and chimes come from).

The emergency brake was in fact on and it doesn't have any bearing on whether the sound goes off or not.

I am taking the car back to the dealership to get it checked out on Thursday but was wondering if anyone knew what this was as it's eating me alive inside.

I have a video of the sound here:

https://youtu.be/tUGbHhbhnA0

What the heck do you think this is?

Thanks for any replies.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
That is a sound my GTI has never made. To me it almost sounds like an alarm. Maybe ask the dealer you bought it from.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
that sounds like a car alarm to me. i dunno maybe somebody installed some sort of an aftermarket alarm?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'd bet it has something to do with that GPS tracker the sticker says you have. I've never seen a sticker like that on our cars.

AnthonyP619

usually this high pitch chime would accompany an oil can light at the top of your MFD for low oil pressure. I would replace your oil pressure switch to be safe, it's good maintenance in general.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KWGI8IS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The sound seems to be quite different from the oil pressure sound. We'll find out tomorrow what it is. I'll post an update. I'm sure it's got something to do with the GPS tracking or some alarm crap or something.

AnthonyP619

Hahaha, nice find!

So, I took it to the VW dealership today that did the recent repairs. They stated that it is a proximity alarm that is supposed to be disabled by the actual dealership I purchased the car from. I did not purchase it at the dealership that did the repairs.

I find it odd that the alarm would start sounding after having it for a month or so. I'm so damn glad it's nothing!

Thanks to everyone for the advice!