GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying a KO4 mk6, should i be worried?

kgozi1

The vehicle I'm looking to purchase is a 2012 GTI with APR KO4 swap, with APR exhaust etc.

Now he installed the KO4 at 20k KM as-well as a Stage 3 bully Clutch

The vehicle is now at 120k KM, having the KO4 ran for 100k KM as-well as the clutch can that be worrisome or do they usually hold up quite well.

Car is very clean and well maintained, i did inspect it, any advice or extra knowledge is appreciated.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
inspect inspect inspect....glws.

zrickety

The Fixer
You should be excited. My K04 has held up well 142k miles...sounds like a great car.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I got mine with a k04. Gave it a good inspection and all has been well for my 10k ownership thus far! Super solid setup imo

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
k04s are oem turbos for other audi/vw cars they can go 100ks of miles without issues. Take it to a neutral mechanic if he is willing to and have it inspected but i think it should be okay.

I dont have a manual so i cant really comment on the clutch but if you drive it and it operates fine i think you should be fine, from my knowledge if clutches are going bad you will know it/feel it.

webbry4

Ready to race!
Ya turbo should outlast our cars for the most part but clutch could be something to worry about depending on the driver. Because while it may drive nice now but it could be on its last leg and 5k from now it could be dead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I would personally never buy a modified car, too many kids half assing mods. I don't feel comfortable not knowing what might have broken in the process, or what was rushed because the sun was going down. I think the VW crowd is a bit older and mature than some other groups, though. Look at everything on the car, you'll get a good idea of how well the car was cared for, a well cared for car is much more likely to have the mods done correctly. You should be able to tell if the car was kept clean and nice, or if it was just detailed before selling. Either way though, you're taking your chances, but if the price is right, and it checks out, go for it.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I would personally never buy a modified car, too many kids half assing mods. I don't feel comfortable not knowing what might have broken in the process, or what was rushed because the sun was going down. I think the VW crowd is a bit older and mature than some other groups, though. Look at everything on the car, you'll get a good idea of how well the car was cared for, a well cared for car is much more likely to have the mods done correctly. You should be able to tell if the car was kept clean and nice, or if it was just detailed before selling. Either way though, you're taking your chances, but if the price is right, and it checks out, go for it.

I kind of agree, with as many people I see saying it's fine to re use stretch bolts on here... You just never know what kind of hack work they might have done on it.

But at the same time plenty of people return their modded car to stock and trade it in all the same. There's no safe way to be 100% sure.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

I was like that with my old car. It was a POS mostly because of what I did to it and that was the entire reason for getting rid of it.

I've done very few things to this car myself. The majority of the work has been done by the mechanic I've been going to for the last 6-7 years.

I feel bad for whoever got my last GTI, but whoever gets my current GTI should get a nice car that hopefully won't give them any problems just as its never given me any problems.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
The vehicle I'm looking to purchase is a 2012 GTI with APR KO4 swap, with APR exhaust etc.

Now he installed the KO4 at 20k KM as-well as a Stage 3 bully Clutch

The vehicle is now at 120k KM, having the KO4 ran for 100k KM as-well as the clutch can that be worrisome or do they usually hold up quite well.

Car is very clean and well maintained, i did inspect it, any advice or extra knowledge is appreciated.

I would inspect it, research it and test drive it like you would any other car. APR K04 kit is top notch. If you don't have experience riding or driving a K04 equipped car see if you can find someone who does that will go for a ride and give you some input on performance.

Modded cars, when mods are performed by professionals can be good values. Having said that, it is buyer beware. Know that folks do these types of mods so that they can drive fast and hard generally. They can be well cared for and appear quite nice, run well but it is the wear to the motor, trans etc that you can't really see. This car has 75K miles on it with 62K of those miles with the KO4 on it.

For me, I would say that most of the "best" trouble free miles have been consumed already. I would consider buying it but only for a fair price for a 75Kmi GTI, no value to the APR stuff in my opinion because the way it was driven and for the number of miles on the kit it sort of washes in my opinion. (just an opinion)

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I kind of agree, with as many people I see saying it's fine to re use stretch bolts on here... You just never know what kind of hack work they might have done on it.

But at the same time plenty of people return their modded car to stock and trade it in all the same. There's no safe way to be 100% sure.

I would probably put my car up as is (with mods stage 2) and if i didnt get interest quick enough i would part out and sell "STALK"
If and when it comes time to sell

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
you should buy it sight unseen and chronicle what happens for our enjoyment ;)