GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Slow radiator leak, but which replacement?

gt44ever

New here, so please be kind. BTW, I can be long winded but thorough (maybe too thorough) so I apologize in advance.

The car:
MY2012 Gti
CCTA engine
DSG
4 door
Base
Basically stock (only made a few maintenance upgrades)
Limited warranty support - certified warranty is over and not everything is supported by the extended (including cooling system, hence I'm here)
(Let me know if I've left anything important out)

I appear to have a busted radiator, possibly the worn-through because of some clip issue that's bee seen previously. I'm dropping coolant (confirmed) fairly slowly. It's mostly showing on the driver side, but I can see wet all along the bottom of the rad and it looks like the fans (and prolly just wind) are pulling coolant through the fins and spraying it around the engine bay. It's still a slow leak so I'm taking my time and doing the research so I can avoid doing the work twice. There's one wet hose connection low in the bay driver side (sorry, I don't know exactly what's what yet), but that doesn't explain why there's coolant halfway up the rad.
Based on where I'm seeing coolant, I'm fairly confident its the rad. Definitely not the water pump. That said, I'm open to suggestions since quality rads aren't cheap

Now, on to the radiators:
Does anyone have experience with Behr radiators on the Mk6? I'm getting mixed signals as to the fit. Some places say they fit and others don't. Even Behr's online catalog isn't clear: using the vehicle and engine it takes you to 2 models, but mk6 gti isn't listed in the matching vehicles.
Behr part nos:
376774031 (OEM quality, made in germany, almost $200)
376774034 (aftermarket quality, made in China, $70 cheaper)
I'm looking at ordering from FCP Euro for these though by part no. I may be able to get them for less elsewhere (Rock Auto, etc.)
Both are listed as matching 5K012125J

Other options that seem to be universally accepted as fitting where ever they're sold:
Nissens (~$150)
VW (~280 - I'm trying to save some money if I can so I'd rather not go there)
Carquest from Advance (~$150)
Spectra (cheap)
Denso (stupid cheap, but some of Denso's parts are good)

Open to other options as well.

Basically trying to determine my best value and if any particular ones are crap and should be avoided.

Thanks

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Does anyone have experience with Behr radiators on the Mk6?

Behr is an OEM supplier to VW. I know for a fact that they made the factory intercoolers for the GTI, so I would have to assume/believe that they probably made & supplied the radiator to VW as well.

So it would be the OEM radiator, just without the VW part number or VW price tag (upcharge) on it.

That said, I'd go with the Behr

zrickety

The Fixer
I installed a Nissens radiator a couple years ago, fit was good and it's been working great.
Your radiator is probably leaking from the seam at the side like mine did.
Edit- here are some pics

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Oem Golf r radiator fits like OEM but is about 30% more efficient. Equal to S3 without needing to trim hoses.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

gt44ever

Oem Golf r radiator fits like OEM but is about 30% more efficient. Equal to S3 without needing to trim hoses.

Did not know that. 2012 Golf R? If so, I can cut this bill in half with a different Nissens or get a Valeo that FCP lists as OEM quality.
Behr is basically same price for aftermarket quality, but might be worth it for the cooling efficiency.

Looks like the core might be a bit taller though (648 vs. 640) so may err on the side of not having to ship it back if things go south for some reason and shop around local parts stores.

edit: nevermind on the size difference. that seems to be more due to manufacturer spec/measurement than necessarily a part fitment. Checked 2 Nissens and they're apparently exactly the same size overall

Last edited:

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure about the brands ur listing.
1K0145803BP
Is part number. Best "plug and play" option imo can't compete with other options though so only get if u don't plan to go big turbo or want fmic.

markus037

Ready to race!
just be glad you dont have a cbfa. i had to buy mine from the dealer and since it has some emissions bullshit on it. its double the price as a ccta one. mine was leaking at the bottom left corner. be prepared to make a mess because theres no coolant drain. also, you dont have to take the bumper off. i was able to sneak mine out the top.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
just be glad you dont have a cbfa. i had to buy mine from the dealer and since it has some emissions bullshit on it. its double the price as a ccta one. mine was leaking at the bottom left corner. be prepared to make a mess because theres no coolant drain. also, you dont have to take the bumper off. i was able to sneak mine out the top.
I have cbfa didn't know there was a difference in radiators! My part number is prolly good for cbfa then.

markus037

Ready to race!
I have cbfa didn't know there was a difference in radiators! My part number is prolly good for cbfa then.

yep. the shitty thing is the fittings are on the opposite side of the ccta engine. so vw basically forces you to buy it. comes with some sort of sensor to monitor whatever coating they have on the radiator. i paid $330 plus coolant.

Totally_Stock_Except

Passed Driver's Ed
yep. the shitty thing is the fittings are on the opposite side of the ccta engine. so vw basically forces you to buy it. comes with some sort of sensor to monitor whatever coating they have on the radiator. i paid $330 plus coolant.
Mine also leaked from lower left corner, slow leak, replaced it 20k miles ago. I got the Behr, fits perfect. Fyi this is the best time to install a new bigger intercooler since you'll have the whole front end apart.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

zef

Drag Racing Champion

Thankfully I have eurodyne maestro software... I was able to disable that sensor, took the old radiator, put it up against a tree in my backyard and dumped 2 mags of 5.56 into it. Good riddance. Running the Tyrolsport radiator now with no check engine light :happyanim:

I was going to suggest to the OP going the tyrol route since he's CCTA and doesn't have to worry about the sensor (and it's a baller upgrade) but it sounds like he's looking to stick with OEM.