GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock GTI exhaust on 2.5l

VWghost26

Ready to race!
I've read some threads on swapping out the stock gti exhaust onto a 2.5l rabbit. With keeping the exhaust note on the quiet side of things is this possible with minimal modifications to the exhaust and would it benefit hp or tq wise to go through the process. It sounds great from some of the sound clips and can be picked up for a steal if you look around.

So far I've only seen this on MK5's using the MK5 GTI exhaust. But seeing how aftermarket exhaust from the rabbits fit my MK6 I'd assume the swap would be transferrable.

Any 'helpful' opinions??

p.s. not looking to own a rocket here obviously since its just a 2.5l. Just trying to help it exhale a little better.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
yes it will fit, but you also need the gti diffuser if you want the mk6 gti exhaust...the only real difference is the piping is 2.5" instead of 2.25" performance and sound gains are minimal

lewylou78

Ready to race!
You can fit an MK5 GTI exhaust on an MK6 Golf 2.5. It's a complete bolt on, and won't require changing the diffuser. The MK5 GTI exhaust has dual polished tips on just one end instead of a sigle polished tip on opposite ends.

All you have to do is add a resonator (I recommend Magnaflow p/n 10415) to make up the 23.5 inch difference. You will need 2 OEM 60mmx95mm sleeve-type exhaust clamps (your car already comes with one). Installation is very simple, it can be done in about an hour.

As for sound, it's slightly louder than the stock 2.5 exhaust, but it's a very mellow sound. It definately looks better and is less restrictive so you should have some gains, but don't expect much.

If the OEM GTI exhaust is not your cup of tea, try finding any aftermarket MK5 GTI exhaust. They will all fit an MK6 Golf 2.5 when you add the resonator mentioned above. The OEM Driver Gear exhaust is on sale now at www.ecstuning.com so that's one of the less cost options.

VWghost26

Ready to race!
You can fit an MK5 GTI exhaust on an MK6 Golf 2.5. It's a complete bolt on, and won't require changing the diffuser. The MK5 GTI exhaust has dual polished tips on just one end instead of a sigle polished tip on opposite ends.

All you have to do is add a resonator (I recommend Magnaflow p/n 10415) to make up the 23.5 inch difference. You will need 2 OEM 60mmx95mm sleeve-type exhaust clamps (your car already comes with one). Installation is very simple, it can be done in about an hour.

As for sound, it's slightly louder than the stock 2.5 exhaust, but it's a very mellow sound. It definately looks better and is less restrictive so you should have some gains, but don't expect much.

If the OEM GTI exhaust is not your cup of tea, try finding any aftermarket MK5 GTI exhaust. They will all fit an MK6 Golf 2.5 when you add the resonator mentioned above. The OEM Driver Gear exhaust is on sale now at www.ecstuning.com so that's one of the less cost options.

So this may be re-surfacing for me. I may have the chance to pick up a donor exhaust for $150 but the part number you provided is for a 2.25" resonator. I'd need the 2.5" correct? And is there any difference between aftermarket resonators besides possible sound?

VWghost26

Ready to race!
Oh I got er' now. Part #10416

lewylou78

Ready to race!
Your OEM exhaust clamps (60mm = 2.36") may not fit with the 2.5" resonator, I suggest you go with the 2.25" resonator (p/n 10415).

Most aftermarket resonators will sound the same, I love how the Magnaflow sounds and it's a quality piece.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
I've done the mk6 gti rear end swap and I can say it's definitely worth it. performance wise no, but looks, yes. Looks a lot nicer than our stock set up. i removed my resonator and it is a little bit louder and deeper sounding.

I've done the mk6 gti rear end swap and I can say it's definitely worth it. performance wise no, but looks, yes. Looks a lot nicer than our stock set up. i removed my resonator and it is a little bit louder and deeper sounding.

would love to hear how it sounds. so you just put the stock mk6 GTI exhaust , but with a straight pipe to connect to the cat right?

I'm looking to do the same , but with an mk5 GTI exhaust. Someone that did it said without the resonator you hear some raspyness at high rpm in first gear. How's yours?

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
i'll try to get up a video eventually. you do need to take it to a muffler shop so they can add about 6 inches of a straight pipe in order to make it fit. only cost me $50 for them to do it.

i'll try to get up a video eventually. you do need to take it to a muffler shop so they can add about 6 inches of a straight pipe in order to make it fit. only cost me $50 for them to do it.

yep you have to add a straight pipe if you don't already have the GTI downpipe that you can cut a piece out of that section.

so can you confirm there is no raspyness or drone at highway cruise speed?

Last edited:

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
no raspyness and a tiny little bit of drone on highways, but its very tolerable. my gf was with me in the car on the highway one day and she didn't notice it til i pointed it out.

VWghost26

Ready to race!
Your OEM exhaust clamps (60mm = 2.36") may not fit with the 2.5" resonator, I suggest you go with the 2.25" resonator (p/n 10415).

Most aftermarket resonators will sound the same, I love how the Magnaflow sounds and it's a quality piece.

Well I'm not concerned with buying new clamps. putting a 2.25" resonator would defeat the purpose of installing a 2.5" exhaust. I'd just be bottle necking the thing from the get go.

lewylou78

Ready to race!
Well I'm not concerned with buying new clamps. putting a 2.25" resonator would defeat the purpose of installing a 2.5" exhaust. I'd just be bottle necking the thing from the get go.

No, it would not defeat the purpose. The 2.25" resonator has the same 2.5" interior core as the 2.5" resonator. The only difference is the inlet/outlet size (which is about 3 inches long on each end).

While the OEM exhaust is around 65mm in some areas, there are other areas that are smaller (60mm or 2.36") and there is a nice flat spot (to prevent hitting the undercarriage) right before the pipe connects to the big rear muffler.

I tried the 2.5" resonator at first, and it too big (and I couldn't get any of the clamps to work) so that's why I went with the 2.25" resonator, the 2.25" one fit perfect.