GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TOP and stupid green oring

Chris659

Ready to race!
So don't flame me for not doing more searching but I am looking to do my IC install this weekend and was recently told I have a boost leak at the TOP to IC hose.

I have a new green o ring to install but remember seeing someone on here use silicone pipe around this coupler for extra seal. What size hose was used?

I am using a FrankenTOP

I planned on using the green o ring and then add the silicone around the outside of he coupler and secure that with hose clamps. Local store sells it in 6 in lengths but they want $24 per piece! So I don't want to make multiple trips or anything if I don't have to

Thanks!

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Just go sell the top that you have and go buy a Awe s3 style top that elminates the green o ring and the billet adapter. The Awe s3 style top makes it so the IC hose just slides over the bottom of the top.

FriggenT1

Banned
Just go sell the top that you have and go buy a Awe s3 style top that elminates the green o ring and the billet adapter. The Awe s3 style top makes it so the IC hose just slides over the bottom of the top.

This...im the one who slid a piece of radiator hose over the top to ic hose, but the s3 top is what I have now...its a much better part.

Chris659

Ready to race!
Yeah I was going to buy that pipe but when I went to their website the installed picture and he comparison picture both use the green oring. And at that point it was the same as the FrankenTOP so I went with what I could get a better deal on.
I see the one picture on there that has the correct end on it.
Well crap. I'm going to go ahead and use the new green o ring for now since I already have it and am putting on my IC this weekend.
I can then buy the S3 pipe soon (just bought grams TB, ECS CC, ARMA exhaust valve so I need time to save up again)
I still have a Spulen TOP that fits the oe turbo I'm trying to sell

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

Even these aren't bullet proof. I've had my awe top for a few years now and I track it often. This summer it's been popping off. I changed the clamp 3 times, and cleaned out the inside of the hose. The last time it popped off I noticed the end of the TOP where the hose slides over had glazed and become slick as butter. I took a dremel to it and roughed it up a bunch then put two constant tension clamps on it. Took it to the track last weekend and it held fine.

Chris659

Ready to race!
Even these aren't bullet proof. I've had my awe top for a few years now and I track it often. This summer it's been popping off. I changed the clamp 3 times, and cleaned out the inside of the hose. The last time it popped off I noticed the end of the TOP where the hose slides over had glazed and become slick as butter. I took a dremel to it and roughed it up a bunch then put two constant tension clamps on it. Took it to the track last weekend and it held fine.

Thanks for the heads up! I ended up having to run it without the green seal at all as the new one was destroyed attempting install. I used a piece of 3" radiator hose to go over the joint and then two hose clamps to secure it. I took it on a test drive and all seems ok. Def more lag now but not horrible.

Ordered the AWE S3 pipe and will fit it as soon as it arrives. I'll try scuffing up the ends before install

FriggenT1

Banned

Yep, I had same issue with ic pipe at ic...degreased, 91% alcohol wipe, sanded and wiped the inside of the clamp hairsprayed it, so far so good. People forget silicone can sweat oil...gets on the clamps and it just keeps popping off.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Maybe its the placement of my ic, but there is zero room for those pipes to move. I could probably take the clamp off and it wouldn't move. I guess each car is different.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FriggenT1

Banned
Maybe its the placement of my ic, but there is zero room for those pipes to move. I could probably take the clamp off and it wouldn't move. I guess each car is different.

Mine is like that too...i don't like the hoses on mine though...one thing I don't like about the wagner kit

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

yeah, that's what I thought too. And continued to think every time it popped off. Literally looks and feels like it could stay on even without a clamp. Getting it back on is a pain, There's zero room for it to move, but yet it has still popped off on me 3 times.

FriggenT1

Banned
yeah, that's what I thought too. And continued to think every time it popped off. Literally looks and feels like it could stay on even without a clamp. Getting it back on is a pain, There's zero room for it to move, but yet it has still popped off on me 3 times.

The friggen power of BOOST!

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion

I never had a issue with mine yet. I have 1 clamp up by the turbo and 2 clamps down but the IC end never once has it popped off for me.

Chris659

Ready to race!
one of the two hoses that came with the do88 kit fits really badly. I'll see how it lines up once I get the awe pipe on but I'm thinking I'll have to get a different hose. It's about an inch off. The only way it's currently working is bc of the radiator hose.