GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Underboost code P0299 - Turbo?

hack-man162

Passed Driver's Ed
First of all I apologize in advance. This post may go all over the place...

2010 DSG, all stock, 94K miles.

I've been getting an P0299 code for a while. If I drive mellow and don't get into the boost, it eventually goes away. Or if I clear it, and drive mellow, the CEL stays off. My DV has already been replaced and is the plunger type. I got under the car this weekend to have a look, and verify the DV hasn't come loose. That was all good. Also, checked various plumbing for any bad connections, and all looks good.

I had called the dealer awhile back and asked them about smoke testing, and the service advisor told me "100%, the turbo is bad". So I stopped by a local indy and he said with my mileage (94K miles) that the turbo is probably bad. But reading the forums, I get the feeling that may not be true. I don't drive my car hard very often, and perform oil changes around 7500 miles with Liquimoly and OEM filters.

When I was looking at the DV, I did notice an oil film coming from above it. I couldn't quite see the source, but it is near the turbo. My oil level has never fluctuated though, and there was not enough to cause any drips in the garage. I have heard that when these turbos do go bad, it is the wastegate area? Could that be where the leak is coming from, and indeed the turbo is bad? I couldn't see the waste gate mechanism, so hard to tell.

Lastly, if the turbo is bad, what route should I take? The K04 is intriguing, but do to life changes, I may be tracking this car soon, and I have read (in the Track forum) that stock, or stage 1 might be better for that. It's looks like it's $1600-ish for a new K03 and install, versus close to double that going K04. Opinions?

thanks!

One last thing, if anyone has a solid recommend for a shop in Austin area, please let me know.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
From what I've read definitely sounds like your Turbo is the issue. Don't buy a new K03, used ones go for 200-300, I have 2 used ones in great condition on hand, let me know if you want to buy one if your Turbo is the source of the problem. I'm up in Dallas, so no shipping fees/easy meetup.

hack-man162

Passed Driver's Ed
From what I've read definitely sounds like your Turbo is the issue. Don't buy a new K03, used ones go for 200-300, I have 2 used ones in great condition on hand, let me know if you want to buy one if your Turbo is the source of the problem. I'm up in Dallas, so no shipping fees/easy meetup.

Do you know the approximate mileage of the turbos you have on-hand? I'm going to try to get more info on what is going on with mine this week, but I am definitely interested.

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
I have been getting the same code on my 2011 with 96,000 miles. Been told it is the wastegate failing.

Have several quotes for replacing the turbo. I've been getting about $1,800-$2,000 for OEM replacement. And $3,000 minimum to go to K04...

You do need a new downpipe and a ECU Flash. Most places recommend upgrading intercooler at that time as well. My place also told me I would need a DSG tune... I just assume K04 is a huge rabbit hole of $$$ that I do not need to go down at this point.

However, I cleared the code twice. And it hasn't come back, even with some hard driving. So YMMV.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I just dealt with this issue myself. Went the K04 route. A new K04 kit depending on brand can go from 1500 to 2500. I went in the middle and got Integrated Engineering. Came out to like 1899.99 even with free shipping. Arrived quite fast.

The install will cost around 500. You are DSG so that saves you on clutch costs which ended up murdering me between getting a drop in disc plus the labor fees. I'd imagine you only need to have done your DSG service at what? 70k?

Then you just need to factor in the tune costs. Depending on which provider you go with the costs vary. Honestly, I'm not sure if will be tremendously more than getting a new K03 plus labor fees. Especially if you find a used K04, it would be even cheaper than what I mentioned.

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
I just dealt with this issue myself. Went the K04 route. A new K04 kit depending on brand can go from 1500 to 2500. I went in the middle and got Integrated Engineering. Came out to like 1899.99 even with free shipping. Arrived quite fast.

The install will cost around 500. You are DSG so that saves you on clutch costs which ended up murdering me between getting a drop in disc plus the labor fees. I'd imagine you only need to have done your DSG service at what? 70k?

Then you just need to factor in the tune costs. Depending on which provider you go with the costs vary. Honestly, I'm not sure if will be tremendously more than getting a new K03 plus labor fees. Especially if you find a used K04, it would be even cheaper than what I mentioned.

A new OEM turbo and all associated parts are running about $1,200. So already $600 cheaper than IE K04. Need a new Downpipe for sure - tack on another $150 for a cheap one. Then the cost of a tune - APR would be charging me $500 as an existing customer.

That does not include upgrading anything else that tuners highly recommend upgrading when moving to K04 - Intercooler & piping, etc. (Brakes to stop all that "extra" power).

So already I am at $1,250 more for K04 than just replacing the factory turbo. If I treat my failing OEM turbo replacement as "sunk cost", then yes, $1,250 to go K04 is a steal. But $1,250 is real cash money.

If I go used, the cost difference is even greater. $200-300 for used OEM, $400+ for used K04.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Going new OEM turbo is ridiculous in my opinion. A low mileage used k03 turbo is easily found for $200-300.

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
Going new OEM turbo is ridiculous in my opinion. A low mileage used k03 turbo is easily found for $200-300.

I was told by my shop the waste-gate has been redesigned in newer turbos. So it would be worth it to go with a newer turbo than one from the same vintage as mine. See image below of a turbo replacement from Tiguan from said shop...

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 11,352

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I was told by my shop the waste-gate has been redesigned in newer turbos. So it would be worth it to go with a newer turbo than one from the same vintage as mine. See image below of a turbo replacement from Tiguan from said shop...

Interesting. I may be wrong..but that shop may be yanking your chain. That turbo looks different. Correct me if im wrong but the shop is recommending that you install a turbo not designed for the car?

Personally, im not aware of a revised turbo for the MK6 platform.

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting. I may be wrong..but that shop may be yanking your chain. That turbo looks different. Correct me if im wrong but the shop is recommending that you install a turbo not designed for the car?

Personally, im not aware of a revised turbo for the MK6 platform.

They sent me the picture when I asked about the waste-gate failing again on the stock IHI turbo. They said they do roughly 3 turbos on 2.0Ts per month, probably 75-80% of them for bad waste-gates.

He said the part on my car is this: 06J145702KX

The part they would replace it with is this: 06J145713KX

They did say both parts are still available, and they could do either. But their latest data shows the 713 as superseding the 702.

I trust this shop, but like anything they could have bad info, or trying to sell me something I do not need.

This is also with no diagnosis being done, just me reporting code and symptoms and both our best guesses. They would do an actual diagnosis once I take it in.

But my main point was that the "Just go K04 it isnt that much more" comment is not for everyone. It is a minimum $1,250 addition with the cost of a new factory turbo. If you do find a used one, that lowers the cost $600-$700 more. Then you are talking almost $2,000 more to go K04 before you start talking other things that need to be upgraded.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
They sent me the picture when I asked about the waste-gate failing again on the stock IHI turbo. They said they do roughly 3 turbos on 2.0Ts per month, probably 75-80% of them for bad waste-gates.

He said the part on my car is this: 06J145702KX

The part they would replace it with is this: 06J145713KX

They did say both parts are still available, and they could do either. But their latest data shows the 713 as superseding the 702.

I trust this shop, but like anything they could have bad info, or trying to sell me something I do not need.

This is also with no diagnosis being done, just me reporting code and symptoms and both our best guesses. They would do an actual diagnosis once I take it in.

But my main point was that the "Just go K04 it isnt that much more" comment is not for everyone. It is a minimum $1,250 addition with the cost of a new factory turbo. If you do find a used one, that lowers the cost $600-$700 more. Then you are talking almost $2,000 more to go K04 before you start talking other things that need to be upgraded.

Typically when a part number ends in X it means that its re-manufactured. Mk6 GTI turbos are the following:

CBFA turbo: 06J 145 713F

CCTA turbo : 06J 145 713K

If hes quoting you a part number of 06J 145 713KX, it leads me to believe hes quoting a re-manufactured turbo. Which is normal because i don't think they sell brand new CCTA turbos anymore. But, if you were to go with the 06J145713KX turbo you'd be getting the same turbo (old style waste gate)

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...manufactured-k03-turbocharger/06j145713kx~kt/

The picture you provided does not make sense in my opinion. Side by side they seem to be completely different turbos.

hack-man162

Passed Driver's Ed
I seems like the wastegate is the common failure on these. Is there a rebuild, or something that can be done for that? If I were to buy a used K03, am I looking at it going bad at 100K total miles? Ideal situation would be to buy a used one for $2-300, then rebuild, or modify, the wastegate so it doesnt meet the same failure.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I seems like the wastegate is the common failure on these. Is there a rebuild, or something that can be done for that? If I were to buy a used K03, am I looking at it going bad at 100K total miles? Ideal situation would be to buy a used one for $2-300, then rebuild, or modify, the wastegate so it doesnt meet the same failure.

It's really hit or miss. Your best bet would be to either rebuild your turbo or buy a used one and get it rebuilt. There's no telling how soon these turbos fail. Generally they are pretty reliable but personally i'd be surprised if my turbo lasted past the 100k mark.

You should get you car properly diagnosed though. The p0299 can also be caused by a boost leak, which is pretty common.

hack-man162

Passed Driver's Ed
DansGTI, your thoughts are the same as mine. I am going to go ahead a get a diagnosis. If it's the turbo, it looks like I can get a used one for $2-300, and a rebuild for about $350. Then I don't have any down time while mine is being rebuilt. I may add a Stage I tune then as well.
Does anyone have a recommend on who I might use for a rebuild?