GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0 TSI engine "50 state" legal versions?

joema2

Ready to race!
For the 2.0 liter TSI engine used on the MkVI GTI, are there multiple versions for different U.S. emission regions, or just a single 50-state version?

TDI110

O_o
I'm pretty sure it's just one type of engine for all locations. It would make little sense for VW to produce specialized engines for states that have stricter laws. Maybe someone who knows more can give further input?

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
There is different versions for emissions . I had to order the strictest one since I ordered it for military overseas

zee

Go Kart Champion
CBFA and CCTA, but with identical engines specs. Just a few of the engine add-ons are different.

California and a few of the greener North East states have the CBFA version. Rest of USA and Canada have the CCTA. Quebec-Canada will 'probably; adopt the CBFA version in two to three years.

joema2

Ready to race!
Is there any difference in how amenable to mods the CBFA vs CCTA versions are? Are the common stage 1 and 2 mods more difficult for the PZEV (CBFA) engine?

Whether stock or modified, is there any detectable difference in the drivability of the CBFA vs CCTA versions?

TeutonicTurbo

Passed Driver's Ed
dude if you read that vortex thread i posted all those questions of yours would magically disappear...

zee

Go Kart Champion
Is there any difference in how amenable to mods the CBFA vs CCTA versions are? Are the common stage 1 and 2 mods more difficult for the PZEV (CBFA) engine?

Whether stock or modified, is there any detectable difference in the drivability of the CBFA vs CCTA versions?

Stock or modified, the driving experience is identical. When modified, power output is also identical. Some mods will require you to specify to the enging is CBFA though...I "think" like the downpipe which has an extra oxygen sensor.

joema2

Ready to race!
dude if you read that vortex thread i posted all those questions of yours would magically disappear...
I read it carefully before posting. My questions were not specifically answered. Historically, 49-state emission vehicles have sometimes had slightly different drivability, maintenance and performance than "California" vehicles.

While these two distinct groups don't directly translate to the TSI PZEV and SULEV variants, it's a reasonable question.