GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Motor oil

V Dubbed

Passed Driver's Ed
Since everyone wants to do there first oil change on there GTI
Let's clear some things up on what brand we should use !
And why has Volkswagen given the contract to Castrol and chosen them as the oil of choice ! what do they know that we don't
Does everyone have Castrol on there oil cap as well and log book?
That's one huge contract any way i have spoken to vw about changing oil early and going to Mobil one , vw service said its best to stay with oil of choice castrol cause the Gti motor has been tested and formulated with it .
But to my surprise he said i would do more damage if i changed oil more offen then 15.000km as you don't give the oil a chance to wear in at all if you change it at 5000km. He said the old day's have gone long bye where you used to do service's on car at 5000km or 7500km and people have to change with the times It's 2010 and motor oil has come a long way its just the bottle has not changed and looks the same . He also added all of vw cars will come with 30.000km service intervals after 2015 so we really need to get with the times. It does make since and i can save some money buy servicing it every 15.000km at the end of the day its for our benefit looking forward to now and 2015 spend my cash on other stuff.:thumbup:

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Because oil breaks down.

I'm not saying you need to change it every 1000 miles, but doing so certainly won't hurt your engine.

x2. I was ]i]very[/i] weirded out by the suggestion that we leave in the factory oil until the 10,000 mile oil change.

That's a LONG time to have metal particles in the oil floating around doing who knows what to the engine. Not to mention the degradation of the oil.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
So we dont have an oil filter?
My first car was handed to me...
I drove it 50,000 miles without changing the oil... Still ran fine the other 25,000 miles I owned it..

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
agreed.. the part about waiting so long to change oil makes absolutely no sense at all.

If you're interested about oil start here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

OK well BITOG had many post on people getting there oil sampled with 10-15k without an oil change and the company said they could EXTEND the oil changes..

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
my dealership said the gti's don't need to be changed until every 10,000 miles because they are highly efficient. but i'm still going to change mine every 4 or 5k miles to keep it clean

fokker

Ready to race!
So we dont have an oil filter?
My first car was handed to me...
I drove it 50,000 miles without changing the oil... Still ran fine the other 25,000 miles I owned it..

Yes, there is an oil filter -- that should be changed at regular intervals. I feel sorry for the guy you sold your car to and I hope you gave him a good deal b/c that car is likely to have problems later in life.

OK well BITOG had many post on people getting there oil sampled with 10-15k without an oil change and the company said they could EXTEND the oil changes..

That depends on any number of factors including but not limited to:

1. Oil
2. Engine
3. Driving behavior
4. Climate
5. Altitude
6. Gasoline
7. ....

To make a blanket statement that ABC oil can go 50k miles without a change is foolish, imo.

Do you want to know how far you can go without an oil change? There is a way to find out.

Change your oil at X miles. Send a sample of your used oil to Blackstone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/) for analysis. See what they say. Change interval if necessary. Repeat.

Personally, this is too much work to do for every car I've owned. So, instead I change the oil every 5,000 miles in any car I care about. Is this excessive? Perhaps, but so what.

I know someone who didn't change the oil in his Porsche Boxster for somewhere around 40,000 miles. That engine seized and he had to get a rebuild.

YMMV. Literally.

fokker

Ready to race!
Original thread (page 3):

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1696985

Here is what happens when you simply take it on authority that the owners manual is correct. Those recommendations are based either on European testing where these engines run in lean stratified mode (thus having vastly different fuel diltion issues)or based on marketing or both. For example this U.S. 2.0FSI ran 502 approved M1 0W40 according to the manual, changing every 10k miles

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
i wonder what octane gas he used. that makes a big difference too