GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Light came on, catalytic converter malfunction?

rondocap

Ready to race!
So today I parked the car to go eat, came back, and when I turned it on, a yellow light was on in the dash.

I checked the manual, and it said it is a "catalytic converter" failure. I did not notice any driving issues with the car, what could it be? Colder weather or the car cold/then warm in a short period?

Car is stock aside from Carbonio intake stage 1 and 2, and APR stage 1 ECU. Exhaust is all stock.

Any ideas? It looks like the light went out when I turned it on, so maybe it was temporary.

Picture of error included.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 5,095

rondocap

Ready to race!
The light turned off automatically around the 3rd or 4th time I started the car, and I'm feeling no symptoms. A scan with my scanner showed code "P150a", but then I cleared it, and has not come back tonight.

Can it just be a fluke? I did drive over some uneven ground earlier, and the temperature has been cold today dropping from warmer. Any chance it's a fluke?

tardman91

Ready to race!
Could be a fluke. If it's still under warranty I would take it in and have them look at it. In my old truck the light came on, my mechanic friend pulled the code and then reset it. It stayed off for a few months, but it didn't hide the fact that I still needed a new throttle body when it came back on. Bottom line is something caused the light to come on. Is that something major, or just a freak occurrence? The dealership has the right diagnostic tools to tell you.

rondocap

Ready to race!
I have my 10k mile service coming up, so I'll be sure to get this looked at. The car only has 8k miles, so it's weird, but hopefully it won't come back.

js07

So today I parked the car to go eat, came back, and when I turned it on, a yellow light was on in the dash.

I checked the manual, and it said it is a "catalytic converter" failure. I did not notice any driving issues with the car, what could it be? Colder weather or the car cold/then warm in a short period?

Car is stock aside from Carbonio intake stage 1 and 2, and APR stage 1 ECU. Exhaust is all stock.

Any ideas? It looks like the light went out when I turned it on, so maybe it was temporary.

Picture of error included.

i have just experienced the same problem with my golf and i wanted to ask to see what was done to yours to get the problem fixed. My catalyic light has been on and off and i have no idea what i can do about it. The car seems to drive fine but the light being on and off is just making me worry if there is any underlying problem which i dont know about.

idriveastick

Ready to race!
For the record, CELs are for emissions. It might not be the cat, it could be a faulty O2 sensor. However, post-cat O2 sensors typically go bad due to a faulty cat.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
Phantom cel

Manu1

catalytic converter light

Hi

I started having this problem with my catalytic light from yesterday. The light is now staying on. is it safe for me to drive the car before taking it in to a work shop ?