GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011-2014 Water Pump Recall Incoming

R

Rayunited

Just had the water pump recall done this afternoon. The part number is 06J-121-026-BG. My 2nd pump was BB.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Just got a letter in the mail for my 2012... I am planning on taking it on an extended trip and wondered if anyone has had issues with the new water pump? Would you guys change it? It's been replaced once that I know of already...

I just came in from a roadtrip to S. Carolina. No issues with the current pump, which is the 'BB' version I've had replaced once already. I subscribe to the mantra, ''if it ain't broke, don't fix it.''

I was at the dealer last weekend and asked about my car. The worker told me if you request the pump to be looked at and it's not leaking or anything then you cannot have the pump replaced later down the road it finally goes out. And yes it's good until December 2018 which is awesome!
And that's pure baloney from your particular dealer; it's on recall, they don't get to say all or nothing right then and there! I wish they wouldn't do crap like that, that's why they get a bad rap in a lot of places.

For example, as I said above, I just came in from a road trip. My GTI is right at 29,900 and due for the 30k check. Had the 'BB' pump put in last March when the orig one failed. So yesterday, it went in for the 30k check. Service writer tells me I'm on the list for the new pump and did I want it done then? I said it was running fine so far; could I wait and just have it done at the 40k check which is a biggie anyway, with DSG service and all. He said sure, no worries and if I changed my mind I could schedule the pump by itself anytime! This 'BB' version I have is holding pretty well so far so I'm hoping it will last to the 40k check.

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!
OMFG Yessss...now recall the HPFP and I'll be set
I had my hpfp & all four injectors replaced under warranty, even with all my mods.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Well folks I will soon be a member of the water pump club. This morning I noticed a few drips of coolant under my GTI. Called the dealer & made an appointment. I was told it will be covered under my 60K power train warranty. When I asked about the program that replaces these pumps even for cars beyond 60K the service writer acted as if he never heard of such a thing. That's interesting, is VW trying to save money it will need for fines? Hmmm.....

My thought is if your car is due a new water pump do it before VW runs out of money to buy new pumps. ;)

07stuntin6r

Ready to race!
Even more reason to not have a VW anymore. They said they never had an issue with water pumps on the GTI. They thought it was strange lol

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Picked up my GTI on Friday with a new BG water pump installed. Drove home about 15 miles or so & pop the hood. Low on coolant & someone left a 1/2" drive ratchet on the pan under the engine??? It appeared to be rubbing on the crank pulley. Not good.

Called the service writer & went back over. I asked that the original tech not touch my car. The shop foreman took my car & I right back put it on the lift & inspected for damage done by the lost ratchet. No damage, but a pressure test of the cooling system did show my car was still leaking coolant.

I talked with the foreman & asked him about the tech who had worked on my car. When asked why the guy left a cheap Harbor Freight ratchet instead of a quality one the truth came out. This guy was not an A tech I was told. Then why was he working on my car? Added to the info about me & my GTI is the notation that only A techs will do the work from now on.

They gave me a loaner & said it would be done in the morning. Normally I would never let the dealer wash my car, but I was told their high end detail guy would wash my car. He does the Lambo, Ferrari's & Aston's so I said OK. Later the service writer called me & said one of the o-ring seals had been torn during installation. New seals were installed & all was good.

After a nice drive in the country in the loaner my wife & I stopped in to pick up my GTI. Really glad to get out of the loaner. A Passat with all the bells & whistles to me a German Camry. Holy cow my GTI looks like new. Washed inside out & waxed to boot. I was told the tech who screwed up is not employed their anymore. Turns this wasn't his only screw up, but certainly the last one there.

I know some folks would bitch their heads off about this screw up. Sometimes stuff happens. How they handled it was says what a great shop they really are. I'll use them again. For me a happy ending. :D

Last edited:

07stuntin6r

Ready to race!
Picked up my GTI on Friday with a new BG water pump installed. Drove home about 15 miles or so & pop the hood. Low on coolant & someone left a 1/2" drive ratchet on the pan under the engine??? It appeared to be rubbing on the crank pulley. Not good.

Called the service writer & went back over. I asked that the original tech not touch my car. The shop foreman took my car & I right back put it on the lift & inspected for damage done by the lost ratchet. No damage, but a pressure test of the cooling system did show my car was still leaking coolant.

I talked with the foreman & asked him about the tech who had worked on my car. When asked why the guy left a cheap Harbor Freight ratchet instead of a quality one the truth came out. This guy was not an A tech I was told. Then why was he working on my car? Added to the info about me & my GTI is the notation that only A techs will do the work from now on.

They gave me a loaner & said it would be done in the morning. Normally I would never let the dealer wash my car, but I was told their high end detail guy would wash my car. He does the Lambo, Ferrari's & Aston's so I said OK. Later the service writer called me & said one of the o-ring seals had been torn during installation. New seals were installed & all was good.

After a nice drive in the country in the loaner my wife & I stopped in to pick up my GTI. Really glad to get out of the loaner. A Passat with all the bells & whistles to me a German Camry. Holy cow my GTI looks like new. Washed inside out & waxed to boot. I was told the tech who screwed up is not employed their anymore. Turns this wasn't his only screw up, but certainly the last one there.

I know some folks would bitch their heads off about this screw up. Sometimes stuff happens. How they handled it was says what a great shop they really are. I'll use them again. For me a happy ending. :D

Kinda was expecting a pic of your car detailed....

Rascal

Ready to race!

mmmm....bologna sandwich :p

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
definitely don't need to remove the intake manifold to replace the water pump, but for $261 that's a pretty killer price for carbon cleaning.

When I had my pump replaced I went to my car to get a bag and the service advisor was pointing out the parts that were removed to replace the pump. I was a little mad when I got home though because they didn't install the newest pump (BG). This was done earlier this year IIRC with around 11k miles on the car. Now I am at 22.5k miles and still haven't had any new water pump issues *knock on wood*. I may or may not have the newest pump installed but I do need to take my car in soon for two other issues (tail light issue and drivers window seal). Will be interesting to see if they bring it up or tell me it has to be done. If this pump works then I am fine with it... the question is IF.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
My pump worked fine for 24,000 miles & then it leaked. If you are taking your car in for other issues might as well get the BG water pump done at the same time.

Mk6Daddy

Ready to race!
Well, exactly one year ago today I had number 2 replaced. So far so good. Only had to top off tank once although I still smell coolant from time to time. Cannot see any signs of drips. I looked at my invoice thinking I had the BG installed but I have a BB instead. As long as not leaking think I'll keep it on there.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
You have until Dec 31 2018 to change it. I planned on waiting, but my pump had other ideas.