GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

long crank & Stall issue -

Hi there

I reported awhile ago the beginning of a long crank issue. However, it has been at random and brushed it off.

This evening; same very long crank & fire. However, was about to pull out of a driveway, and car long crank, fired -- then spit/spat and stalled - battery light came on. Reset, crank - fired, stall.. etc.

Gave it some gas - and all was good. Turned car off, reset and fired and then was ok.

Had battery tested @ Auto-zone. For voltage & load test. Everything was spot on. Battery was fine under load, @ 12.47volts (Seen myself)

This the common LPFP symptoms? There ANY way to test this pump via VAG_COM?

Last edited:

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
most likely fuel pump.. does it do it after sitting a while? and do you hear the pump prime when you open the drivers door?

most likely fuel pump.. does it do it after sitting a while? and do you hear the pump prime when you open the drivers door?

kinda.. @ lunch time it fired no problem. Tonight leaving work at 5pm. little longer than average crank. Drove for about 40 mins. Then parked for 10-15 minutes, went to start car... then it happened as I posted above.

If I go out tonight - car shouldn't leave me stranded should it? Long as I prime or old school start + gas it?

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Start by replacing inline fuel filter. If issue continues I'd test LPFP. If within spec i'd suspect issue with the tune. I've seen a few cars with extended crank due to APR tune but nothing so far with UNI.

Replaced inline fuel filter about 3k miles ago. Was cake to DIY the filter.

Any instructions for testing the LPFP within vagcom?

car been cranking and starting just fine now after the fact I posted asking about it. Just wanting to stay ontop of anything so dont end up stranded.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
It's the LPFP. Same exact symptoms I had 3 weeks ago. I could drive the car all day, but if I shut it off and went to start it again shortly after it would stumble and die. I'd let it sit for 5-10 minutes and it would start again. Changed the LPFP, issue solved.

Thanks!

Did you notice any power inconsistancies with the LPFP in early failure stage? Also been noticing erractic performance differences.

Like every 3-4 restarts, the car changes and will run as it should and pull like a train. And then when not, i feel revv hang that lasts for days & car is meh. highly annoying.

Going to look for prices on LPFP and look at DIY section to get this swapped.

Appreciate everyone here!

found part # 1K0-919-051-DB

oy... nearly $250 for pump.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Start by replacing inline fuel filter. If issue continues I'd test LPFP. If within spec i'd suspect issue with the tune. I've seen a few cars with extended crank due to APR tune but nothing so far with UNI.

Try this first. Might be a bad fuel filter

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
Any of these ring a bell?

P0087 - Fuel Rail/Pressure Too Low P2293 - Pressure Regulator 2 Performance P0300 - Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire P0087 - Fuel Rail/Pressure To Low

Any of these ring a bell?

P0087 - Fuel Rail/Pressure Too Low P2293 - Pressure Regulator 2 Performance P0300 - Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire P0087 - Fuel Rail/Pressure To Low

Not sure what that is in reference to? I did not post any CEL codes.

Will pick up another new fuel filter tmrw and go from there.

Have folks experience bad fuel filters in the past - or they prematurely fail? Assume they collapse?.

thanks!

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
Not sure what that is in reference to? I did not post any CEL codes.

Will pick up another new fuel filter tmrw and go from there.

Have folks experience bad fuel filters in the past - or they prematurely fail? Assume they collapse?.

thanks!

Well my fuel filter is being swapped as we speak, I hope it fixes my codes but I highly doubt it will be that easy a fix. If the filter doesnt fix it, I am pretty sure my LPFP has gone to shit, and assuming that your issue is the same as mine, you might have to check yours too.

The codes I posted are a reference to what I have going on, and seeing as my thread is dead, i came here :D

gotcha! Im going to also find few moments to scan my car with VAGCom and see if any soft codes showing up.

Were you experiencing same intermittent long crank and rough start / stall issue?

Possibly my LPFP has been weakening for awhile now; as performance is up and down - and no not heat soak

As I mentioned before. 3-4 or what ever re-starts of the car. And it will randomly or magically run amazing and pull like a train. Say I start car, drive, quit, rinse and repeat a few times and a magic number appears and car decides to pull hard and feel like a stage 2 tune.

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, car takes way longer to crank. Also idles like shit for 30 - 45 seconds (almost stalls) and then goes back to normal, smells like a lot of unburnt fuel when you walk to the back. Also car likes to buckle in 3rd when getting on it hard