GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me with some information please?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Hey all;

My Golf TDI is getting bought back by VW since I am already at ~160k miles and it wouldn't make sense to pass up the buyback at this point.

One of the cars I am considering as a replacement is a Golf R. I miss my R32, and while the Golf R isn't the same in the engine department, it is obviously an overall faster, better car; and I expect it would "fill the void" quite nicely... :D

What I am wondering is the goods/bads of doing a MK6 R vs a MK7 R; and if it makes more sense to go used or just get the new one? Anyone compared them or driven both? Are the new "perks" of the MK7 R worth it, or just fluff? Are there any drawbacks other than the higher price?

Thanks!

MKJBM05

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd cop the MK6 R because visually it looks a lot better, more aggressive. Can obtain an MK6 R for a lot cheaper, with the extra $$$ you can build a T450 IE turbo, and smoke all the MK7 R on the streets for the price of purchasing a(n) MK7 R. Just my thought, good luck on your search. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mensurpj1

Ready to race!
I have an MK6 R and I absolutely love it ( minus the annoying diff. whine) Im currently stage 2+ and i keep up with FBO evos and beat most of these v8's out there. Im actually upgrading the turbo to a hybrid ko4 for some extra power. That being said, The MK7 R engine is a new beast. The thing can easily go to 500HP without upgrading any internal. Intake exhaust and tune and you are in the 11's which is sick.

Cant go wrong with either but i think its really up to what you are looking to spend and what your preference in looks is.

Saabstory

Thanks for the input guys.

If I do get one; I doubt I would mod past stage 2 as it would be my daily driver still. That said, I hadn't realized the MK7 actually has a TSI now, that's a big plus over the FSI...

What is the diff whine you speak of, something common in the MK6?

Mensurpj1

Ready to race!
Thanks for the input guys.

If I do get one; I doubt I would mod past stage 2 as it would be my daily driver still. That said, I hadn't realized the MK7 actually has a TSI now, that's a big plus over the FSI...

What is the diff whine you speak of, something common in the MK6?

From what ive gathered, the differential whines ( I hear it everyday) cruising at highway speeds. VW said it was normal. Ive had my Haldex serviced and all. Other have reported it also but apparently when I took my car in for a check up they said the diff and Haldex were 100% good. So its one of those, live with it noises.

But yes the MK7R Engine is great

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
As an OG mk6 R owner (4 yrs, 100k miles) who has been greatly anticipating the arrival of the mk7, here's why I haven't taken the plunge:

1.) Deals are not to be had on these. Dealer mark ups have been nuts from the get-go and in some cases mk7 R's are still being marked up. Maybe you'll get lucky.
2.) No 2dr option
3.) No sunroof

Those are a big deal to me... always seems like there is some compromise on the R for whatever reason in the US market. Smaller items that irk me:
1.) No spare tire... yes there is a step by step DIY on how to add a spare tire on 'tex lol
2.) Center console won't open... there is also a DIY for this and it'll open but it won't ratchet
3.) Steering wheel a step back from mk6...
4.) Get used to k-turns... it has a larger turning radius
5.) Many reports of stupid soft paint and ridiculous swirls
6.) Manual has a weak clutch
7.) Software prevents manuals from launching... tons of reports of bogging. Tune may fix but not sure.

Other than that, the mk7 has better infotainment, DCC, better gas mileage, and updated engine (albeit with chain and may still have carbon issues).

Lao278

Passed Driver's Ed
I have an MK6 R and I absolutely love it ( minus the annoying diff. whine) Im currently stage 2+ and i keep up with FBO evos and beat most of these v8's out there. Im actually upgrading the turbo to a hybrid ko4 for some extra power. That being said, The MK7 R engine is a new beast. The thing can easily go to 500HP without upgrading any internal. Intake exhaust and tune and you are in the 11's which is sick.

Cant go wrong with either but i think its really up to what you are looking to spend and what your preference in looks is.

What hybrid turbo are you going with? I've been looking at the TTE420..

Saabstory

As an OG mk6 R owner (4 yrs, 100k miles) who has been greatly anticipating the arrival of the mk7, here's why I haven't taken the plunge:

1.) Deals are not to be had on these. Dealer mark ups have been nuts from the get-go and in some cases mk7 R's are still being marked up. Maybe you'll get lucky.
2.) No 2dr option
3.) No sunroof

Those are a big deal to me... always seems like there is some compromise on the R for whatever reason in the US market. Smaller items that irk me:
1.) No spare tire... yes there is a step by step DIY on how to add a spare tire on 'tex lol
2.) Center console won't open... there is also a DIY for this and it'll open but it won't ratchet
3.) Steering wheel a step back from mk6...
4.) Get used to k-turns... it has a larger turning radius
5.) Many reports of stupid soft paint and ridiculous swirls
6.) Manual has a weak clutch
7.) Software prevents manuals from launching... tons of reports of bogging. Tune may fix but not sure.

Other than that, the mk7 has better infotainment, DCC, better gas mileage, and updated engine (albeit with chain and may still have carbon issues).

Dealer mark-ups will hopefully not be an issue (I expect some pretty sweet deals from VW to retain customers once the mass exodus buyout starts); but the bolded above is a huge one for me.

I spend as much as 4-5 hours a day in my car; sunroof is one of my key comfort items...

Guess it's a MK6, thanks for that info!

bebersol

Ready to race!
I always thought the MK5 was a better looking car than the MK6. the MK6 is a better looking car than the MK7.

The EA113 (mk6) engine is very tunable, the only issue being the cam follower in the HPFP. That said, it's an easy maintenance item to do every 20 - 25K miles.

The EA888 (mk7) is a solid engine and I'm sure will also improve with time.

I think the interior of the MK 6 is more cockpit like while the MK7 is more generic sedan like.

The new MBQ platform is probably stiffer, but this is easily solved with a cross brace in the MK6.

All modern cars feel a little slop from the automated assembly process when the subframe is attached to the unibody, this is also easily solved with the Tyrolsport dead set kit.

BTW nobody knows more about the MK6 R then the Dude !

Last edited:

jlk250

There is one small thing nobody has mentioned yet: the mk6 has a handbrake whereas the mk7 has an electric button ebrake. No big deal for most people but for winter driving I would only buy a car with a hand brake.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
If you can afford mk7 get it, if not get the mk6- that simple!

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I always thought the MK5 was a better looking car than the MK6. the MK6 is a better looking car than the MK7.

The EA113 (mk6) engine is very tunable, the only issue being the cam follower in the HPFP. That said, it's an easy maintenance item to do every 20 - 25K miles.

The EA888 (mk7) is a solid engine and I'm sure will also improve with time.

I think the interior of the MK 6 is more cockpit like while the MK7 is more generic sedan like.

The new MBQ platform is probably stiffer, but this is easily solved with a cross brace in the MK6.

All modern cars feel a little slop from the automated assembly process when the subframe is attached to the unibody, this is also easily solved with the Tyrolsport dead set kit.

BTW nobody knows more about the MK6 R then the Dude !
Thanks haha, it's far from the truth, though. Many people in the community I lean on for help.

Saabstory

Thanks guys; yeah, I am pretty set on MK6 at this point if I do go with a Golf R (I have some other options I am looking at still as well, we'll see...)

I agree with you bebersol; I think the MK5 is a better looking car as well; the MK6 is a little more aggressive looking but it is also far more generic than the MK5 is.

I'd buy a low mileage MK5 R32 in a heartbeat, only problem with the MK5 is going back to a DSG again... I have no issue with DSG and enjoyed driving it, but my son wants to learn stick :thumbsup: