GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Guess the damage estimate...win a cookie...

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Driving on the highway last night. Have to get into the left lane for left lane exit ramp that merges onto another highway. There's a line of vehicles in the left lane and we've all slowed down to around 40ish or so as we're getting ready to exit and merge.

All of a sudden, a white, contractor~type sprinter like van in front of the vehicle in front of me comes to a sharp, complete stop (the two women in the car in front of me were the ones that initially stated that). The car in front of me jams on its brakes and manages to stop just before hitting the van. I stand on my brakes, but can't completely stop. I managed to avoid a total rear end job by swerving slightly into the middle lane, I managed to see there was a vehicle approaching in that lane too so I couldn't go fully into it either. The front left part of my car met up with the rear right of her bumper.

Thankfully, everyone was OK.

After waiting for state police and some fender pulling by myself and the trooper, I was able to drive home. Did the same on the vehicle I hit to help them get home without needing a tow too. The right part of her rear bumper was rubbing on her rear tire, but the trooper and I cut a small piece away with his knife and we managed bend most of it away from the tire.

Anyway, I'm pissed as hell about the situation, but what are ya gonna do. That's why they call them accidents, I guess. Gonna drop it off today at the body shop for an estimate and repair. At least I can get rid of my front plate now...*sigh*

Closest to the damage estimate wins.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
$12,256

zef

Drag Racing Champion
This wouldn't happen to be going from I-84 to RT72 headed toward Bristol would it?

A new hood, fender, halogen headlight, bumper, assuming brand new parts from VW, with paint, I'd say $5,500. Plus another $150 for an alignment. Another 6-8 inches over and it'd be a different story.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Sorry that happened. Damn that just sucks. Did the friendly trooper write you a ticket?

$1,000,000 plus the cost of the cookie.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
How's the wheel? Anything happen to it? Was it pulling to that side on ur way home? If that's all good. Your looking at hood, fender and bumper all painted. That alone is prolly around 7.5k. Factor in grill headlight maybe rad support? Sprinkle another 1k. Did air bags deploy? If so that would likely push estimate into total range. My estimate would be $8.5k-10k. I've filed two 7k claims on my gti still have the car and insurance. So I'm not going to say totaled.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Im gonna say $7,999.99

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
No Price is Right rules here, peeps. Not closest without going over, just closest. Some of those predictions are cray, cray. 17K? 12K? Srsly? Can't believe it would come close to those numbers unless there's internal damage. Book value on it can't be too much more than 9K or so.

I should probably add an extra level too. Shop estimate versus insurance company estimate.

Got a Mazda 3 for a rental. Lookin' at prolly 3-4 weeks. FML. Hilarious that people compare these cars to the GTI. Not even in the same universe.

Sorry that happened. Damn that just sucks. Did the friendly trooper write you a ticket?

$1,000,000 plus the cost of the cookie.

No ticket. Following too close warning. It's bullshit considering the circumstances and what the girls in the car I hit were saying about the situation, but I fully expected to get something since I struck from behind.

This wouldn't happen to be going from I-84 to RT72 headed toward Bristol would it?

A new hood, fender, halogen headlight, bumper, assuming brand new parts from VW, with paint, I'd say $5,500. Plus another $150 for an alignment. Another 6-8 inches over and it'd be a different story.

No, I-691 to I-91 merge.

guessing your car is paid off already?

T O T A L E D.

Yes'th.

How's the wheel? Anything happen to it? Was it pulling to that side on ur way home? If that's all good. Your looking at hood, fender and bumper all painted. That alone is prolly around 7.5k. Factor in grill headlight maybe rad support? Sprinkle another 1k. Did air bags deploy? If so that would likely push estimate into total range. My estimate would be $8.5k-10k. I've filed two 7k claims on my gti still have the car and insurance. So I'm not going to say totaled.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Doesn't seem to be any structural damage to the suspension. Tough to tell last night because I had to drive with a part of the fender well rubbing on the top of my tire. Jacked it up this morning and took it out. Drove to the shop and it seems to ride normal. No pulling or vibrations.

Air bags didn't deploy. That could be the difference maker.