GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car decision: 2012 GTI or FR-S/ FT86/ Toyaburu ?

2012 GTI now or FR-S next year?

• GTI

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • FR-S

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RACER00

Passed Driver's Ed
If you are going to wait for the Subota, consider looking at a Golf R or the Focus RS while waiting. Toyota is not noted for its handling and in a new box it could be risky. With the R and RS you have performance history on your side and lets face it Europe just engineers better cars.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Not to diverge the topic, but the new genesis coupe is expected to come w/ a power bump and revised aesthetic's, just food for thought.

good point! nice.

If you are going to wait for the Subota, consider looking at a Golf R or the Focus RS while waiting. Toyota is not noted for its handling and in a new box it could be risky. With the R and RS you have performance history on your side and lets face it Europe just engineers better cars.

do you mean Focus ST? RS isn't coming here last I heard.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie

This is interesting point, and one actually is rather surprising seeing some tests in the past years....IS-F as tested by C&D on their lightning lap test was 9 second faster in a 3 minute ish lap from different model years. With all that was changed was suspension tuning....There might be a good reason not to buy the first year car...

RACER00

Passed Driver's Ed
As for the Focus RS, yes we will get that in November. I actually have seen the car in testing here in Arizona and it is badged RS. Regardless, the Golf R is high on my list to replace the GTI. Consider this, I test drove a Mazda Speed 3, was not impressed with the seats and the car just felt tinny and noisy, sure it is faster than a GTI. The GTI remains the benchmark for the class....enough said.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Wow, I hadn't seen that confirmed anywhere, only the ST. Any info/links on the RS coming stateside?

RACER00

Passed Driver's Ed
Stop the car and back-up. I was a test driver at Toyota for 5 years, have driven the MR2 and the MR2 Spider (a major let down that killed the car in the US market). Its is all about what you are comparing...sports cars or sports coupes. I race in NASA & ASA, compare the MR2 Spider to Mazda MX5and the latter is a better performer with the engine up front, and you can still buy new. When talking about handling, stick with new cars you can get now.

RACER00

Passed Driver's Ed
I stand corrected, just got back from Autoblog, the Focus ST is correct for US market (tamer than the RS). Interesting when you read the ST blog they say "GTI watch your back.". Still the test car was badged "RS", which lead me to the error.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
ah OK, I was gonna say - hot damn if the RS was coming here....

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Subaru's flat four is a horrible engine IMHO. Fuel efficiency is poor, they have cheap ass cast pistons, and they run their engines very lean during boost to pass emissions. Google 2011 Wrx/Sti dyno chart and you'll see what a poor power curve the factory tune delivers.
I had a 2009 WRX and I found the flat four to be a pretty good engine, actually. The power curve might be poor to some because it uses a larger turbo which has a bit more lag. In daily driving, this was never an issue and it was only noticed during more spirited driving, but that was part of the reason why such cars tend to be more fun if you can shift the gears yourself; you can keep the engine in the "sweet spot" of the power band. Also, I frequented the NASIOC forums when I had that car and people didn't really complain about it running lean unless you were to add an intake. Pistons were never an issue unless people wanted to get up to "stage 3" power levels.

I only decided to get rid of it for styling reasons and practicality reasons. Gas mileage wasn't the best compared to the GTI, wasn't comfortable on trips longer than a few hours (which I do relatively frequently, and the exterior was oh-so-ugly, but the wide-body 2011s actually look pretty good to me).

There are many times I wish I kept it, like whenever I want to go fast or if I'm in a tunnel. That car with a catback exhaust was niiiice.

Boxer engines drink gas. My friend had an RX8. That shit had him visiting the pump all day.
The RX-8 has a rotary engine, and yes, the current-gen rotary engine does consume a lot of gas (and oil). The boxer engines may appear to consume a lot of fuel because they also have to deal with a lot of mechanical drag with the AWD setups that Subaru offers. There is always room for improvement though, and GunKata pointed that out.

The RX-8 has a rotary engine and they are known to have high fuel efficiency.
I'm under the impression that they're known for low fuel efficiency and high oil consumption.

Back to the topic at hand:
If you're considering these cars, I'd wait until the Toyobaru comes out so you can test them back to back. I'm not sure if I'd go for the Scion/Toyota/Subaru quite yet because as others have mentioned, it will be a first-generation car. Also, the poor Scion will likely be associated with "ricers" and your other typical Scion crowd. I'd wait and see if Subaru comes out with a turbocharged performance version (because let's face it, I'd expect it to have unequal length exhaust headers like its other turbocharged engines and it should therefore have that beautiful-sounding boxer rumble).

Dirt Nasty

Go Kart Champion
PHP:

Boxer engines drink gas. My friend had an RX8. That shit had him visiting the pump all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
im not gonna buy it but its looking good for those car companies if the toyaburu car works out. maybe this car will be the next big thing for drifting fans seeing how its rear wheel drive.