GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommened Oil Filter?

jcme0557

Passed Driver's Ed
Because the Mk6 turbo filter is unique, I'd stick with either MANN or the OEM filter (made by MANN.) $15 bucks is cheap compared to a new long block. And, don't forget to order a drain plug sealing washer, too.

BTW, WIX makes some excellent filters for the after-market...don't know if they do a 2.0 TSI one or not...probably not. Fram used to be a "go-to" filter, but not any more...
Google: "Fram, oil filter, failure" it'll scare the socks off you!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Just curious where everyone gets their facts from? How do any one of you know which brand is good or bad? None of you have conducted tests or have any data to back your statements up.

There is no need for conducting tests. We are not car engineers/developers. Using Mann/OEM VW oil filter are the only logical options to use on TSI 2.0T motors.

GTIProject

Ready to race!
Mann or OE. I seriously don't understand people who buy $26k German cars and then bitch about having to spend $20 on an oil filter. Want to buy a $4 spin-on from Autozone? Buy a Corolla. We are big enough enthusiasts to be posting on a message board, but some people don't care enough to put OE oil filters on their cars... Blows my mind.

On another note, Fram is the biggest pile of crap one can buy. I wouldn't put Fram on my snow blower, let alone my car.

JewFro

Ready to race!
Not sure if this has changed over the years but when I started driving in 2003 Fram was garbage mostly because they used cardboard endcaps on their filter media.

Yes... cardboard

On previous cars japanese cars it was strictly Purolator Gold filters.

With the GTI I'll be sticking to MANN or OEM though.

nockiboo

Ready to race!
Found a pic of a Fram filter for our cars, looks like it might be made by Mann.

DarkCloak

Banned
Found a pic of a Fram filter for our cars, looks like it might be made by Mann.

Quite possibly, I like the K&N Filters. Especially the hex head they have on the end so you do not have to use filter wrenches. Amazing no one thought of that like 80 years ago.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Quite possibly, I like the K&N Filters. Especially the hex head they have on the end so you do not have to use filter wrenches. Amazing no one thought of that like 80 years ago.
I have used K&N oil filters before and they are pricey when compared to other filters (Purolator, AC Delco, Fram, etc). I wouldn't doubt the one for our cars are the same...as in pricing. I will stick with OEM/Mann.

nockiboo

Ready to race!
I have a feeling that most of the filters for MK6 etc are made by Mann, as they probably hold some type of special patent for that screw on bolt thing. If most of the filters are made in Germany this is the case. I haven't seen any other design of filter made in a different country. Anyone use another filter?

I myself will mostly likely stick to OEM/Mann as well however if I couldn't get a hold of those, I am sure any made in Germany filter is just as good judging from what we seen.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
nockiboo, I tried looking for that Fram PH10600 at the local Wallyworld but their shelf stock ends at #10575. I'm assuming it can be sourced at other auto parts stores..?

nockiboo

Ready to race!
nockiboo, I tried looking for that Fram PH10600 at the local Wallyworld but their shelf stock ends at #10575. I'm assuming it can be sourced at other auto parts stores..?

I saw these for sale on Ebay, they are around 89 bux or something for 10. Shipping extra.

Not sure if Walmart has these yet, I am sure it can be ordered in.

I am from Canada but I was down in the states recently and Autozone carries STP filters for our cars, I am sure those are made in Germany as well.

K03mk6

Through testing using Motul 8100 oil I've found that the gold Fram ultra synthetic xg10600 oil filter extends the duration of my "clean oil" status twice that of the oem filter. My system was to check my dip stick and when the oil was contaminated to where i couldnt easily see the hash marks through it I determined it dirty and changed it. With the oem filter i would get roughly 500 miles as opposed to the fram where I would get 1000 miles. Not to say that the fram filter is better in your situation but in mine it has proven to be more efficient.

This being said. The biggest improvement in oil life, engine sound, and engine feel for me has been related to the oil chosen rather than the filter used. I used the mobile 1 oil previously which has its benifits (cheap and easily avaliable) but since changing to Motul 8100 have noticed better life of oil, better sound at cold start and idle, and just a better overall feel (just felt smoother).

In the end a great filter dosent save a motor. Changeing your oil at the right time dose. So find the filter that fits your budget and change your oil and filter as often as possible.

Oil change with oem filter - 40
2x Oil change with fram filter -40