GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Turbo Yaris to Cadillac ATS Transformation: Petrolhead Fights Car ADD, but loses

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Who is this s***e?

l***h, this is your time to shine, man. All those years of scrimping and saving, eating ramen, and sleeping on that IKEA futon have led to this moment.

OR

l***h, this is your time to shine, man. Sell one more fraction of that Berkshire Hathaway position and treat yourself nice. You know this car only comes around once in a lifetime, and your ZL1-swapped Vega needs a stablemate.

OR

l***h, this is your time to shine, man. You don't have cataracts and $12k is an outstanding value for a well-sorted but misclassified 928 S.
I've talked to l***h and he's out above $10k. The car was going to join a tubbed Javelin drag car.

It's a new race now.
Time to WIN.
I hope so. The higher it goes, the more comfortable I am going for the GS (if I still can)

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
A fully restored to original car sold last year for $15k, IIRC. Clean originals have sold for $12k. I'd say it's in the top 5% now, but I have no idea what it'll end up at. Still 650 watchers. 3.5 hours left...

$15k?! Whoa. Well, there are markets for everything. I saw the one for $12.9 on AutoTrader Classics, but figure that will sit forever.

I just can't reconcile my world view with the idea that 1 in 20 Pacer transactions is for over $10k. Nah, yo. Naaahhh.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
$15k?! Whoa. Well, there are markets for everything. I saw the one for $12.9 on AutoTrader Classics, but figure that will sit forever.

I just can't reconcile my world view with the idea that 1 in 20 Pacer transactions is for over $10k. Nah, yo. Naaahhh.
Well, remember that the vast majority of them rusted away or were crushed after spending decades languishing in a junkyard. Those that are left survived for a reason. Now people like them because they're so rare...so when a clean one pops up, it goes big.

Mine is special because it turns out that people think it's done well enough to be cool. I've had numerous people tell me their sick of seeing Mustangs and Camaro and want something cool that nobody else has. My car just happens to hit the sweet spot. Considering that a Camaro built to the level of my Pacer is easily over $30k, my car's a bargain. It's not just attracting Pacer buyers, but it's being viewed as a substitute for much more expensive cars. I think I'm selling it at the right time.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
CTS-V is a hell of a buy generally.

I was looking around... same price as a grand sport corvette or an E92 M3 used... but harder to find... Not sure i see the value.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I was looking around... same price as a grand sport corvette or an E92 M3 used... but harder to find... Not sure i see the value.

Aren't you the same person who complains that the E90 doesn't have enough torque and that used German cars are too unreliable? How's 550 ft-lbs out of a simple murica motor for the same price as 300 ft-lbs out of a complicated nazi machine not value?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Aren't you the same person who complains that the E90 doesn't have enough torque and that used German cars are too unreliable? How's 550 ft-lbs out of a simple murica motor for the same price as 300 ft-lbs out of a complicated nazi machine not value?

45k vs 45k...
Lets count the negatives:
The CTS-V sedan is 4300lbs...
it is also nearly impossible to find with a manual (at least in my area)
and the 6 speed auto is a joke.
cadillac lacks the luxo badge recognition of the germans.

Positives...
likely more reliable
power

So yes ... there are both good and bad things about the car. But it doesn't make it MUCH MORE appealing than an M3.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
It's not more appealing, it is entirely different. They're both V8 cars that cost about the same and have manual trans options and back seats, that's about it. They each represent a performance value, it just depends on whether you value straight line or handling more.

If you don't want a manual 4-door, though, there is no point looking at either one IMO. There are better options out there for automatics or 2-doors.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
damn, hope it gets higher than $10k in the last 10 mins here..

here it comes.. 100 at a time..

wow... thats it?

Last edited:

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
Well that was anticlatamic....