GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Washing your GTI

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
I am just curious as to what everyone uses to wash their GTI I would like to know everything from the soap to the cloth. I have decided that i am going to use a Chamois to dry it with. I am looking to see what I should use to wash it with.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
I use pantene pro v and a bath towel.

Ps: there's a whole subforum for this, with lots of info...
Pps: your only choice so far ain't a good one

koolgreen

Ready to race!
How many people live in city's where the bylaws do not allow you to wash your car in your own driveway.
This effed up city of ours ie Toronto does not allow car wash water to be drained into the sewers.

THX-1138

Passed Driver's Ed
How many people live in city's where the bylaws do not allow you to wash your car in your own driveway.
This effed up city of ours ie Toronto does not allow car wash water to be drained into the sewers.

Just as 'jmblur' said, there is a complete thread on this topic but to provide you a quick answer:

Yes, there is a way to wash you car to comply with your city's water restrictions. A product to look for is "ONR" (Optimum No Rinse), do search within Youtube to see the results.

msm00b

Ready to race!
Spit and steel wool.

Shit takes forever.

upnthebid

1983 MK1
Nothing special.

My only advice is keep your mitts, towels/microfibers, and chamois cleaner than your finish. You can never have too many cleaning cloths when you start a wash.

They only no-no that I have heard of is too stay away from dishwashing or clothes soap/detergent because it strips off your wax.

A little TLC and making sure your are not washing dirt into the finish will work better than any $50 bottle of wash or wax.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Hey man get up with me some time I have a crap load of stuff a Porter Cable 7424 polishes waxes compounds etc..
For the no car wash ONR FTMFW 2 gallons of bottled water and a cap full of the stuff and your good to go.

tornadoredgti1

Passed Driver's Ed
Armour all concentrate car wash and Meguiars NXT 2.0. I've cleaned my car once a week and waxed it twice a month so I've never really had to use a clay bar to clean off any impurities in my clear coat. I'd recommend cleaning it as often as you can, it's easier to clean and easier to maintain than washing a very dirty car!

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Armour all concentrate car wash and Meguiars NXT 2.0. I've cleaned my car once a week and waxed it twice a month so I've never really had to use a clay bar to clean off any impurities in my clear coat. I'd recommend cleaning it as often as you can, it's easier to clean and easier to maintain than washing a very dirty car!

If you haven't clayed yet, I bet you'll be amazed at what comes off. Cars pick up a ton of bonded contaminants just on the way to the dealer.

Example - brand spankin' new Aston Martin Vantage detailed by Phil @ Detailers Domain. And this car came in the best he's EVER seen a new car come in - the paint was nearly perfect, no imperfections, swirls, etc. (can't say the same for my GTI on delivery!)

Full writeup here: http://detailersdomain.wordpress.com/2010/06/09/aston-martin-vantage-new-car-prep/

BC's do NOT get removed by normal washing. Wax/sealant helps keep them off the paint so they can't bond, but they'll still work their way in.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Power wash the car to get the majority of dirty off (either at home or a $1.00 "Do-It-Yourself Wash")

Wash with a "preferred" soap & microfiber wash mit

Dry with a microfiber towel = no scratches in the clear coat :thumbsup: