GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stuck accelerator from ice...

rarndaraki

I just had a strange issue occur and thought I'd pass along some wisdom...

I live in Minnesota and do not have a heated garage. Over the course of the winter a lot of snow gets tracked into the car, especially the driver side area.

A few days ago I noticed that my car was reving when I put the clutch in or when the car was in neutral. Sometimes it would really get going -- all the way up to 4k! It seemed to come and go at random.

Turns out there was a build up of ice wedged between the floor mat and the accelerator pedal! The ice would push or get stuck on the pedal, depending on the position of my feet on the floor mat! It seemed to happen most frequently after I had been driving on the highway for awhile -- presumably because the pedal had "frozen" into position.

I have been driving in winters my entire life and have never experienced this problem. Super crazy. I cleared away all the ice, thawed out the floor mat, and the problem is gone.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Wow that is crazy! Most pedals float in the air vs the GTI being attached to the floor. I'm assuming extreme snow temps are the culprit as you eluded. Pray for warmer weather!!

gugu1981

Passed Driver's Ed
maybe try the monster mats? those are rubber, and moisture does not collect like the carpeted mats, so water wouldn't freeze around the pedal.

(and if the water is freezing in the car, shouldn't you be turning on the heater?)

Peter