GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI vs E46 M3

Jimmer1

Ready to race!
That is heavy vs the E36 M3 which was quick and agile. And it's all top end for the M3 where it doesn't have the grunt down low. Gotta love that high redline. :)

The E36 was the biggest let down in M history, massively so in US spec. The E30 is a joy to drive, like the MK1 GTI, as is the E46 which is still the benchmark for most mid size sports cars. The new E92 is even better. 50/50 rear drive is the holy grail. This MK6 GTI feels real good and is a very refined blast, but nothing like an M car. I've always owned a VW alongside BMWs, and whilst the fit and finish is up there, you can't compare the dynamics no matter how many stages you have.

Jimmer1

Ready to race!
an e46 m3 is by far a better track/performance car...but i have to say...they sound like sh!t and they have a pretty high cost of ownership

Cost of ownership, yeah. You've obviously never driven one if you're complaining about the sound - there's nothing quite like it and it'll make every hair on your neck stand up. Problem is, in most states, you're breaking the speed limit when you hear it in full chorus and that's only second gear.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
Cost of ownership, yeah. You've obviously never driven one if you're complaining about the sound - there's nothing quite like it and it'll make every hair on your neck stand up. Problem is, in most states, you're breaking the speed limit when you hear it in full chorus and that's only second gear.

i have driven quite a few actually if have 3 friends with them...and i also test drove a few about a year ago...stock exhaust they sound just fine...aftermarket exhaust and they are raspier than i prefer...its more like that feeling you get with fingernails on a chalkboard

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
The E36 was the biggest let down in M history, massively so in US spec. The E30 is a joy to drive, like the MK1 GTI, as is the E46 which is still the benchmark for most mid size sports cars. The new E92 is even better. 50/50 rear drive is the holy grail. This MK6 GTI feels real good and is a very refined blast, but nothing like an M car. I've always owned a VW alongside BMWs, and whilst the fit and finish is up there, you can't compare the dynamics no matter how many stages you have.

What?!?! The E36 was the best M3 due to it's light weight and power. It was a great handling car. One of the best in SCCA. You see a ton of them running still in the SCCA vs hardly any E46 M3s. There is a reason for that.

Jimmer1

Ready to race!
What?!?! The E36 was the best M3 due to it's light weight and power. It was a great handling car. One of the best in SCCA. You see a ton of them running still in the SCCA vs hardly any E46 M3s. There is a reason for that.

I think you'll find that's because they're cheap. The US spec car only had 240hp due to a different throttle body set up. Was/is not an icon like the fore and after running models.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
I think you'll find that's because they're cheap. The US spec car only had 240hp due to a different throttle body set up. Was/is not an icon like the fore and after running models.

And it isn't because they are cheap. Give me a fking break. It was like this since new. The E36 M3 was very fast for 240hp because it was light. 330 hp for the E46 was SLOW seriously. Like I said, I had cars that beat it with less power.

The E46 was never a icon. The E46 is what people call great for Luxury, Amenities, bloated but a comfortable racer. The E36 was a club racer. Designed to handle, designed to do SCCA type of events. The E36 was the true Sports car BMW had and all the cars tried to compare too like the G35.

Jimmer1

Ready to race!
And it isn't because they are cheap. Give me a fking break. It was like this since new. The E36 M3 was very fast for 240hp because it was light. 330 hp for the E46 was SLOW seriously. Like I said, I had cars that beat it with less power.

The E46 was never a icon. The E46 is what people call great for Luxury, Amenities, bloated but a comfortable racer. The E36 was a club racer. Designed to handle, designed to do SCCA type of events. The E36 was the true Sports car BMW had and all the cars tried to compare too like the G35.

The E36 weighs 200lbs less and features 100hp less. Go figure Einstein.

v8282w

Ready to race!
I raced one with my mk4 and pulled on him pretty good at first. The faster we'd go the more he'd wind up reeling me in. By 110 he was pulling on me. This was three runs from a 20mph roll, same result each time. My mk4 is faster than my mk6.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
The E36 weighs 200lbs less and features 100hp less. Go figure Einstein.

Okay calling names now? You do know you are by yourself right now believing what you wish to think is right. Go to any BMW board like I just did and research it.

E36 M3 = 3175 lb weight

E46 M3 = 3415 lb weight

Difference = 240lb

240lb of weight vs 100 hp difference (which is all top end on the E46 with the extra 1000rpms), it's peak power. The E36 made it's power throughout a solid powerband. It's like BMW added VTEC to their E46.

Either way, off the line the E36 takes the E46. After that, it's the E46. The better SCCA car is the E36 as it has better 50/50 weight distribution, is lighter, more agile, and a better overall car for a sporty type of style. While the E46 went more to the Luxury side.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
I raced one with my mk4 and pulled on him pretty good at first. The faster we'd go the more he'd wind up reeling me in. By 110 he was pulling on me. This was three runs from a 20mph roll, same result each time. My mk4 is faster than my mk6.

LOL The MK4 is not near as quick as a MK6. Try again son.

v8282w

Ready to race!
Think what you want dad, I'm the one with both sitting in my driveway. Just to clarify, my mk6 is all stock.

Dred is your car stock?

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Well, is it heavily modded? Because that is what it will take for a Mk4 to even touch a Mk5 or 6.