GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 - The Pag Parts EFR Turbo Kit

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Have you tought about a AWD swap? I mean... you might as well.

Anyways, questions answered, now back to the side line and cheer this project on. And please post videos of your kids reaction. (safely of coures) We have restrictions for kids' age and height at themed parks but never a restriction on how fast a car is able to achieve with kids inside. The kids might passed out with that sort of acceleration.

No AWD plans at this time. As for the kids, I joke but I may get a quick run in, it would be legal speeds, closed road, no traffic, clear view, etc. Just a tast of power when it's done.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
wow... Good for you, but why spend so much money and time on a wrong wheel drive car?

think of it this way. there are a bunch of people that go big turbo. you don't hear anyone going back to k04 or stage 2. and there is a reason for that.

like hyde said, it's easier to drive. better gas mileage. much more predictable. and you do have the same if not better traction than k04. i skipped k04, but i have better traction than i did at stage 2. and with a boost controller i can putter around town in low boost and have all the traction i want (yes including 2nd), and turn it up for these highway races you referred to. and i track it as well, and she does just fine in the corners ;).

and your examples are pretty null. you need a tune just to put an intake on an sti or evo. no car is bulletproof. and you don't HAVE to upgrade a lot to go fast. but most people add supporting mods because it's fun and not as big a tradeoff as it seems on paper. it just gets blown up in some forum reviews because people are sensitive. and if that's the case, you won't enjoy any performance car anyway since they come stiffer from the factory.

you only hear comments like yours from people that have never been in a big turbo car. ride in a sorted example or better yet, drive one. then report back.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
and with a boost controller i can putter around town in low boost and have all the traction i want (yes including 2nd), and turn it up for these highway races you referred to.

Exaclty why I'm going to test the Greddy Profec, low boost and high boost settings, switch on the fly from the cabin.

Lupin

Ready to race!
think of it this way. there are a bunch of people that go big turbo. you don't hear anyone going back to k04 or stage 2. and there is a reason for that.

like hyde said, it's easier to drive. better gas mileage. much more predictable. and you do have the same if not better traction than k04. i skipped k04, but i have better traction than i did at stage 2. and with a boost controller i can putter around town in low boost and have all the traction i want (yes including 2nd), and turn it up for these highway races you referred to. and i track it as well, and she does just fine in the corners ;).

and your examples are pretty null. you need a tune just to put an intake on an sti or evo. no car is bulletproof. and you don't HAVE to upgrade a lot to go fast. but most people add supporting mods because it's fun and not as big a tradeoff as it seems on paper. it just gets blown up in some forum reviews because people are sensitive. and if that's the case, you won't enjoy any performance car anyway since they come stiffer from the factory.

you only hear comments like yours from people that have never been in a big turbo car. ride in a sorted example or better yet, drive one. then report back.

With my suggestions/example of cars, I do not mean to make the same power or tune it conservatively. I am trying to say that those cars have a higher potential so I can understand why people go big turbo for those cars. I've never sat or driven a big turbo FWD, but I have experience in big turbo AWD and RWD cars. I also driven a supercharged FRS on racing tyres and it was a blast on the track. I've sat in a fully built K24 RSX with LSD and while I was amazed at how well it performed, it behaves differently than a RWD in a bad way. (it was not slow by all means). I seek for stability and traction above all and I have yet to find that in any FWD car under hard acceleration.(without turning it into non daily drivable car vibrating car)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Mkkay so I'm confused Lupin. Did you mean to buy something else and signed on the dotted line for a GTI accidentally? :iono: :p:p:p

Last edited:

Lupin

Ready to race!
Mkkay so I'm confused Lupin. Did you mean to buy something else and signed on the dotted line for a GTI accidentally? :iono: :p:p:p

I mean, it makes more sense to blow large sums of money into a more potentialed car such as the ones I've suggested than "investing" it in a FWD.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I mean, it makes more sense to blow large sums of money into a more potentialed car such as the ones I've suggested than "investing" it in a FWD.

This would be true if I had the money for a higher priced car with more potential car 5 years ago when I was starting a family with a new condo. At the time I started a new job and wanted a 4-door upscale car to zip to work up the highway and back. I could spend 30K or less at that time and I didn't care for the Evo/STI cheaper interior, anything else was more expensive.

Over the years my reviews and magazine articles have added up, my kids call out "Volkswagen" any time they see one as an homage to our family sports car. This car is another kid, more expensive, but another kid that I can't let go of so I chose to "invest" in it's fullest potential.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
With my suggestions/example of cars, I do not mean to make the same power or tune it conservatively. I am trying to say that those cars have a higher potential so I can understand why people go big turbo for those cars. I've never sat or driven a big turbo FWD, but I have experience in big turbo AWD and RWD cars. I also driven a supercharged FRS on racing tyres and it was a blast on the track. I've sat in a fully built K24 RSX with LSD and while I was amazed at how well it performed, it behaves differently than a RWD in a bad way. (it was not slow by all means). I seek for stability and traction above all and I have yet to find that in any FWD car under hard acceleration.(without turning it into non daily drivable car vibrating car)

i understand your experiences, but a well setup car will perform whether it's 150hp or 500hp. power rarely makes you much faster at the track to begin with. so depending on your goals it will be irrelevant. but any car needs upgrades to manage more power, not just fwd cars or volkswagens specifically. there are plenty of civics and minis out there hurting feelings and it's pretty easy to make a lightweight momentum car out of them. it just depends on your goals. and of course the driver.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie

I don't mean to muddy up the thread since Ryan has already eloquently given his defense for blowing large sums of money, but if you think for a second modding a car is anything like putting money in an 401k you're in the wrong place.

There is no "investment", this is all for the love of creating something individual. This is fun money, none of it grows or can be had back. There is no "sense" here, it's all insanity.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
There's a valid argument against literally every single modification one could do to their car. I respond to all of them; because I can.

The biggest point I make is that no one expects a fast gti as a general rule. I'd say 85% of car guys don't take us seriously, so when I pull bus lengths on a mustang or c5 vette, that alone makes it worth it.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
There is no "investment", this is all for the love of creating something individual. This is fun money, none of it grows or can be had back.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

There is no "sense" here, it's all insanity.

Definitely true and respect [emoji106]

-------
Philosophy Of Eagles:
- Eagles flies only with eagles!
- To reach the top you must fly with the Top!

firsttimebuyer

Ready to race!
I don't mean to muddy up the thread since Ryan has already eloquently given his defense for blowing large sums of money, but if you think for a second modding a car is anything like putting money in an 401k you're in the wrong place.

There is no "investment", this is all for the love of creating something individual. This is fun money, none of it grows or can be had back. There is no "sense" here, it's all insanity.

Epic explanation here, i have this argument with my boss every time my car has a new part on it. lol The only people that understand are the ones in the parking lot next to you on a Friday night, or next in line at the strip, know what i mean.