GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 boosting issue

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Alright fam, I need some help here. Installed oem k04 and supporting hardware, including dv relocation. All mods in my build thread. I am on eurodyne base k04 file. So I logged the turbo and it does not seem to be meeting request by 6psi.
Requesting 23psi and making 17psi.
EDIT: updated link.
http://datazap.me/u/brobst101/log-1495414728?log=1&data=1-4-5

Now my k04 is port n polish so I expected it to have better flow characteristics, but this seems like too much miss. Also, notice the wastegate duty cycle like 80%
I had my system pressure tested to 25 psi and I have no leaks. My thoughts at the moment.
Rev C new dv and dv+ are not playing well.
Wastegate issue
Maybe n75 controller.l??

Idk where to start now since its not a leak but I want to get this fixed obviously.
Looking for suggestions on what to check.
Thanks

EDIT1: So this weekend, we tried the stock DV, boost was at 16psi instead of 18psi, so the dv+ stuff does not seem to be the culprit. We looked at some other things and we have narrowed it down we think to either tune issue or wastegate issue. Getting some test files soon to sort out the problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FriggenT1

Banned
I've learned a lot of things lately, one of those things being you will not always meet requested boost levels. In fact, in an old post I found a while ago, Bronson from DM suggested that likely 90% of people will not meet what's requested.

I think you and I were talking about this before? Anyway, the APR IC has an internal volume of 804 ci, which is a lot from the 350 stock IC. Now, I'm not saying this IS your problem, but speaking with Alex on here a while back, he really opened my eyes about meeting boost requests. You can read some of that here http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104696&page=13 it's some good info.

If you pressure tested it, and did it properly, you might be having the same issue that I have, which isn't really a huge issue. Oddly enough, many of the people I have asked don't know wtf they're talking about, and just say...well if it's requested X amount, that's what it should make, but often a 5.5 lb WG spring absolutely cannot hold the higher amount of boost when the entire system is so much more efficient.

This is from Hydes k04 port and polish review:

Software Calibration:
Off the shelf K04 software files have certain calibration targets for airflow based on the output of the turbo, so in theory I should see that my system will request less boost than the average K04 car to achieve the same airflow calibration targets. This can be beneficial since the system would be working less for the same result. A turbo working less generates less heat, which results in lower intake air temps, which can yield more power at the same mass airflow (hence the benefit of intercoolers).

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Yes I appreciated our discussion and I wanted to open up to more folks to see if there were any other experiences out there.
I plan to look into the wastegate this weekend.

gti925

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a ported and polished K04 (socal porting) and am having no problems achieving requested boost.

Your link does not work.

Here's 2 runs I did over the weekend. ECU is pulling some timing around 4k but I was heading slightly uphill and the K04 is pretty weak there compared to the stock turbo.

http://datazap.me/u/gti925/log-1495994198?log=0&data=0-2-3-4-5-7-8

Sonny

gti925

Passed Driver's Ed
What IC are you running?

Stock. Got an ARM ready to go in...just need to find the time to do it. Hopefully this weekend.

Sonny

FriggenT1

Banned
Stock. Got an ARM ready to go in...just need to find the time to do it. Hopefully this weekend.

Sonny

That's why you're ok with boost, you have a 350 ci IC and he has 804 ci, thus he (and i) flow much colder, denser, air, and way more efficiently.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
I have a ported and polished K04 (socal porting) and am having no problems achieving requested boost.

Your link does not work.

Here's 2 runs I did over the weekend. ECU is pulling some timing around 4k but I was heading slightly uphill and the K04 is pretty weak there compared to the stock turbo.

http://datazap.me/u/gti925/log-1495994198?log=0&data=0-2-3-4-5-7-8

Sonny

Updated link. I also am getting some tuning support to determine if I am having a wastegate issue.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I've learned a lot of things lately, one of those things being you will not always meet requested boost levels. In fact, in an old post I found a while ago, Bronson from DM suggested that likely 90% of people will not meet what's requested.

I think you and I were talking about this before? Anyway, the APR IC has an internal volume of 804 ci, which is a lot from the 350 stock IC. Now, I'm not saying this IS your problem, but speaking with Alex on here a while back, he really opened my eyes about meeting boost requests. You can read some of that here http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104696&page=13 it's some good info.

If you pressure tested it, and did it properly, you might be having the same issue that I have, which isn't really a huge issue. Oddly enough, many of the people I have asked don't know wtf they're talking about, and just say...well if it's requested X amount, that's what it should make, but often a 5.5 lb WG spring absolutely cannot hold the higher amount of boost when the entire system is so much more efficient.

This is from Hydes k04 port and polish review:

Listen to everything this man says...

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Was this a new or rebuilt k04?
Oem on off an audi

BT guys been telling me not to touch the wastegate though on a k04. From physics standpoint, FriggenT makes sense. But I didn't want to mess up something see as I dont know much about the adjustment.
Probably will talk to hstuning about it.

FriggenT1

Banned
Oem on off an audi

BT guys been telling me not to touch the wastegate though on a k04. From physics standpoint, FriggenT makes sense. But I didn't want to mess up something see as I dont know much about the adjustment.
Probably will talk to hstuning about it.

How many miles were on the turbo? Was the WG replaced?

FriggenT1

Banned

You said that because it was just before your post didn't you? :lol:

Seriously though, I've worried, pressure tested, had diagnostic tests done, tried different parts, spent hours upon hours of research and, frankly listened to the wrong people. How can a tuning company tell me somethings wrong if I'm not meeting requested without taking into account the upgrades and especially how much cooler the air may or may not be?? Alex is honestly the only tuner I recall that has said flat out the spring is too weak and you may need a WG upgrade in order to get target boost, even though it's not THAT important to reach requested.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
How many miles were on the turbo? Was the WG replaced?
I was wrong before. Got it from my friend so I was misquoting. Golf R oem turbo about 10k miles on it. Sent it to socal and the did the port and polish ceramic coat. Replaced the seals, and balanced the wheel. Set the factory preload.

So there is one step I have been uncertain about from install. In order to reach the coolant line mounting point, we had to loosen and unbolt the wastegate bracket. We did not touch the end of the rod with the clip. So far, that variable is the one we dont know about. If that would mess up the preload set by socal or not. The picture is a little blurry, but you can see the bracket holding the wastegate is what im talking about.
To the right of the picture. Picture may be rotated, in that case its the top. Near the exhaust manifold an actuator. .

Last edited:

FriggenT1

Banned
I was wrong before. Got it from my friend so I was misquoting. Golf R oem turbo about 10k miles on it. Sent it to socal and the did the port and polish ceramic coat. Replaced the seals, and balanced the wheel. Set the factory preload.

So there is one step I have been uncertain about from install. In order to reach the coolant line mounting point, we had to loosen and unbolt the wastegate bracket. We did not touch the end of the rod with the clip. So far, that variable is the one we dont know about. If that would mess up the preload set by socal or not. The picture is a little blurry, but you can see the bracket holding the wastegate is what im talking about.
To the right of the picture.

I don't think that would have a thing to do with the preload setting tbh. However, you can unplug the n75 go take the car and log it and at wot it's only going to hit WG pressure. Easy to check, then just plug it back in. Fwiw, on the stock k04 ED file, I wasn't meeting requested either, I believe I was around 19 psi.