GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smog check help.

Ayenoel

Hey guys, I ran into a problem. I recently bought a used R and have to smog it. The car has a full Milltek exhaust system. I took it to get it smogged and failed. The smog tech said to drive 500 miles to get the computer ready to retake. Problem with that is, since I don't have a cat, I will never pass. I'm good with the visual. I have read an o2 spacer is an option.. I have nothing stock, so I'm screwed. What can I do? This is the final step to registering my car and need some help. Thanks

jshay

Go Kart Champion
Since you've failed already, I'd just buy a stock downpipe and do smog with that. The places I've taken my car to get dirty smog won't touch a car if it's failed recently.

Ayenoel

Since you've failed already, I'd just buy a stock downpipe and do smog with that. The places I've taken my car to get dirty smog won't touch a car if it's failed recently.

Damn really!? That sucks! I am willing to spend extra bucks to pass dirty at this point, but I did fail already. I wouldn't want to go thru the hassle of buying a stock downpipe either. If that's the only way than I will. Cali problems. :(

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Usually it's a visual check with a OBD reding to check if everything is working.
Do you know if they check tailpipe emisions?

Did the guy mention anything about you missing a cat?? ..... He shouldn't have noticed it.
I would try disconnecting the negative bettery cable to try and clear the code .... If it clears the code, it will last for a while.

Stage 2 tune on the R ??

Oem r downpipes tend to be more expensive then welding in a high flow cat

If it's not a stage 2 and the rear O2 sensor is still active then you can try clearing it with a scanner or disconnecting the negative .... It should last a while if you do it right before the test

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Hey guys, I ran into a problem. I recently bought a used R and have to smog it. The car has a full Milltek exhaust system. I took it to get it smogged and failed. The smog tech said to drive 500 miles to get the computer ready to retake. Problem with that is, since I don't have a cat, I will never pass. I'm good with the visual. I have read an o2 spacer is an option.. I have nothing stock, so I'm screwed. What can I do? This is the final step to registering my car and need some help. Thanks

Proper smog inspection for Calif includes visual inspection and ODBII readiness. There really is no "for sure" way to pass without having a factroy original downpipe in good working order.
Note-some folks have gotten lucky and didn't have a visual inspection, you can't know if that will happen or pay for it. In fact if they fail to perform a proper inspection they can lose their license.

The lack of cats will throw an ODBII code. The lack of cats will cause you to fail the visual portion of the test. O2 spacers can simulate having cats and prevent the codes but it won't pass the visual. In Calif you have to go through this every 24 months.
Note - they don't do tail pipe sniffer test on cars year 2000 and up. No smog inspection for cars prior to at all 975 I believe.

It is helpful to have VCDS cable so you can run readiness routing when you put your stock pipe on. Instead of driving for a couple hundred miles of varied driving to reset readiness once stock pipe is on you can run a routine that simulates the driving and will confirm if you achieved readiness before you go to smog station.

Ayenoel

What are the chances of me passing with a O2 spacer? The place that failed me didn't care about visual. I say that because I also have an intake and they didn't tell me anything. I guess they just wanted my money... Thank you guys for all the info

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
If they don't care about visual, then clearing your codes and running a O2 soccer should do the trick,,,,, unless your running a tune that has deactivated the rear sensor....

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
*not soccer ? .... Spacer

mto386

Go Kart Newbie

Who did you buy it from? According to the CA DMV website, the seller is responsible for getting the car smogged. See link below.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

BREWZER

Passed Driver's Ed

where is this place roughly how much is it? I'm due in December

Pre95

Passed Driver's Ed
What are the chances of me passing with a O2 spacer? The place that failed me didn't care about visual. I say that because I also have an intake and they didn't tell me anything. I guess they just wanted my money... Thank you guys for all the info

Honestly? You need to track down the stock crap and put it back in. Having a catless setup in California is absolutely moronic. The level of headaches a cop can give you for a catless PZEV vehicle in our state is staggering (see: tow your car off instead of just giving you a fix it ticket).

Find a used downpipe on fleabay or from a wrecker, toss the o2's back in, retune and go smog. After that, try the stage 1 stock downpipe tune and see how it feels. If the catless setup is a must for your butt dyno then I would be planning an every-2-year-swap to deal with smog, but you roll the dice with the fuzz.