GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Regional Forums > Southeast

Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #43
Cackalacka
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI manual
Daaaamn, bigshoulders, that craigslist...

13k on the odometer?!?

I've had my MkVI 1 month and 2 weeks, and I've put 4200 miles on it. At this rate, I'll be lapping this Fahrenheit in another 2 1/2 months. Such a crime to have the world's best daily driver and not drive it daily.

I digress, what's steering you away from Southern States in Raleigh? I've only had nominal encounters with the salespeople at SS and Cary Autopark; what has been the pros and cons with dealing with SS and Leith?
Cackalacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #44
ksgarcia
Oval Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI CSG 6Spd
I just saw that Fahrenheit two days ago on Blue Ridge. We thumbed up each other.

Good story, right?

Anyway, saw a white GTI mk6 pulling onto Avent Ferry near NCSU around 8pm. Any of you guys?

Last edited by ksgarcia; 09-18-2010 at 10:57 AM.
ksgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #45
bigshoulders
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackalacka View Post
I digress, what's steering you away from Southern States in Raleigh? I've only had nominal encounters with the salespeople at SS and Cary Autopark; what has been the pros and cons with dealing with SS and Leith?
Most of my experience has been about service. I did buy my GTI from Leith, and felt I got a pretty good buying experience from there, but on the day I took delivery, I did feel rushed and didn't really get to go over the car as well as I would have liked, but that's just a one-time thing, and I don't hold it against them.

To be honest, I haven't had the folks at Southern States VW work on the GTI. I did take my TDI there for a timing belt oh, about 100,000 miles ago. (It's pushing over 230,xxx now.) One time they changed out some glow plugs on the car. They quoted me the wrong price and only changed out one or two that were bad. I found out years later that glow plugs should *always* be changed out together and not mis-matched. Kind of like batteries--you don't mix new with the old. When I really think about it, they didn't go out of their way to win me over. Maybe other folks have a different experience, but I was never impressed.

Leith, on the other hand, has always taken care of me. Given me a loaner on a 10 year old VW (even when they didn't have to) and have done good, solid work on the car, taking the time to explain things and make sure I understood what was done to the car. I don't take the TDI to them anymore, as I've found a very good mechanic (who knows TDIs) in Raleigh that does top-notch work. But the GTI is under warranty so I'll be taking it to Leith VW for any service for the long run.

The independent mechanic in Raleigh is Robert Drake, over at Autobahn Automotive. He's an honest, stand-up guy and really takes care of his customers. I highly recommend him.

Last edited by bigshoulders; 09-17-2010 at 01:53 PM.
bigshoulders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #46
bigshoulders
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackalacka View Post
Daaaamn, bigshoulders, that craigslist...

13k on the odometer?!?

I've had my MkVI 1 month and 2 weeks, and I've put 4200 miles on it. At this rate, I'll be lapping this Fahrenheit in another 2 1/2 months. Such a crime to have the world's best daily driver and not drive it daily.
I'm thinking that it must belong to a Marine, since it's located in Havelock. I imagine that if he/she's been deployed, then it wouldn't be getting much attention.
bigshoulders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #47
Stocktastic
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: I gotter meotter.
Send a message via AIM to Stocktastic
I didn't buy my car at a VW Dealer, but I dealt with one many times while trying to get one.

Bob King VW in Wilmington. Go ask for Reed.

Real stand-up guy. I found my car at a wholesale dealer and went to him to see about the payment on a new GTI. When I told him about the car, he said go get it! Which by now, he wasn't saying that as a salesman, but as a friend.

I haven't dealt with the service department just yet, but I need to go get then new flash and get the rear washer dealt with.
Stocktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #48
Cackalacka
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Anyway, saw a white GTI pulling onto Avent Ferry near NCSU around 8pm. Any of you guys?
Nope, I was in Durham at the time, was it a mkV? Could have been the excited girl.

And big shoulders, thanks for the insight. I purchased my ride out of state. I'll be curious what kind of treatment I get when I roll in for warranties and scheduled servicing. I'll be sure to post my findings here.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #49
Stocktastic
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: I gotter meotter.
Send a message via AIM to Stocktastic
I just got home from Bob King VW getting the recalls taken care of.

Everything was handled smoothly, and I'm very impressed.

It takes a lot to impress me.
Stocktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #50
ksgarcia
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocktastic View Post
I just got home from Bob King VW getting the recalls taken care of.

Everything was handled smoothly, and I'm very impressed.

It takes a lot to impress me.
Awesome man. That's always refreshing.

Cackalacka - as for that white GTI, it WAS a mk6. Now you're not the only white one in Raleigh! DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUN
Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #51
MTH
Ready to race!

Drives: 2011 United Grey GTI
Thumbs up

Raleigh area here. 1st VW and only had it for a couple weeks now. Bought at Leith VW in Cary and good experience there. Hopefully I will get the same treatment from the service department. See you on the road!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTIfront.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	3917  
MTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #52
Cackalacka
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
Raleigh area here. 1st VW and only had it for a couple weeks now. Bought at Leith VW in Cary and good experience there. Hopefully I will get the same treatment from the service department. See you on the road!
Welcome aboard. Incidentally, that gray car: did you get the 2dr model that was 'gently-used' by a manager (i.e. had about 3k on the odometer?)

If so, I test drove it back in July as I was figuring out what route to take; many compliments on your ride, pretty mack. Unfortunately for me I had to go 4dr/manual, and there was nothing matching those characteristics south of New Jersey.

Quote:
Cackalacka - as for that white GTI, it WAS a mk6. Now you're not the only white one in Raleigh! DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUN
Don't make me get all Highlander up in this joint.

Oh, and incidentally, the lady and I are fixing to wind back up the east coast. NC->Boston->Maine->White Mountains->Quebec->North East Kingdom->Adirondacks->NC by way of Appalachia, all in one week.

When we are done, hopefully we'll prove capable of tackling the gem of the east, better known as the NC/East Tennessee high-country. Gotta save my Tail of the Dragon virginity until the moment is right.

Any of you fellas have any road suggestions that are north-south between here and New England / NY / PA?

Anyway, since I've put just under 5k on this bad boy over the last 6 weeks, I'm going to go ahead and hit up the courtesy 90 day/6k vehicle inspection at Cary Auto Park (Leith) this afternoon. I'll hit y'all with my impressions of the service/facility in the not too distant.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #53
Cackalacka
FIA GT Newbie

Scratch that question, MTH, I see you have an '11. Beautiful.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #54
MTH
Ready to race!

Drives: 2011 United Grey GTI
Thanks! I had a hard time deciding between white or grey and ended up going with the manual United Grey w/ sunroof. The white totally stands out and looks awesome though. I'm still learning the car but everytime I drive it I can't get over how great it handles.
MTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #55
ksgarcia
Oval Champion

Have you guys seen the weather for (not this but) next weekend? Shit, I am EXCITED. I'm trying to talk to people on the mkv forums so we can arrange a Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill group meet - get some food, talk about v-dubs. I'll keep everyone posted. Any suggestions on locations? Do we want beer? burgers? pizza? all of the above?

(I'm a Florida native btw, this seasons changing thing is pretty cool)

and sorry Cackalacka, I've got nothing to give to the road-trip convo. The Blue-Ridge Parkway is always a blast, but it may be a little out of your way.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #56
Cackalacka
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgarcia View Post
and sorry Cackalacka, I've got nothing to give to the road-trip convo. The Blue-Ridge Parkway is always a blast, but it may be a little out of your way.
Dude, I'm going to impart some timeless wisdom I learned last month driving my new ride back from NJ: the Blue Ridge Parkway is only out of your way if you're driving a Prius.

Driving a beautiful touring vehicle up I-85, between Henderson and Petersburg is a crime against humanity.

If you're coming back from the City, going west and taking 80-something to Harrisburg or Scranton and spilling through the Shenandoah 1) gets you out of the beasts of Balt-Wash 2) lines you up perfectly for the BRP; get about 110 quality BRP miles where you are screaming like Bo/Luke/Coye/Vance (take your pick) until you get to Roanoke, then you can take a number of blissful side streets back to G-boro/Graham/40 East. Total diversion time over I95/85: 1.5-2 hours, much less if you avoided DC between 4-6 p.m.

And you save yourself the insanity of the beltway and southern Virginia.

Oh, and as for the inspection at Cary Autopark VW (Leith) so far so good.

John at the service desk was mega chill, and I dug the popcorn. In-and-out: 1/2 hour. I thought the 6k/90 courtesy inspection would be more rigorous (i.e. check out the oil filter) rather than them looking at pressures and levels (something I try to do weekly anyway) but still a good piece of mind before I attempt to crush 14 states' and 1 province's 2-lane mountain roads over the course of a week. Thank God I got the extended warranty; at this rate, we'll cross 36k by Christmas.

Anyway, I'm going to sign off now and get ready for an epic road trip; weather permitting this baby's going to the top of Mt. Washington mid-morning Tuesday.

I'll check back in once we're back in the states, if y'all are doing something and we're back in town, and my car and I don't smell too much, I may cross paths with yall next weekend. If y'all are looking to spin as well as talk, I might suggest there are quite a few nice little bends in Alamance/Orange/Vance counties, right past the fall-line.