GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My new car search has begun...

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
The car just hit 40,000 miles after three years of ownership, so I figure a K04 would get me at least another 3 years of enjoyment out of it. :D

I'm actually over the healing phase for the extraction and placement of dental implants. The only thing I am waiting on now is for the crowns to be cast so they can be glued in. From June through October, I spent way more time than I ever wanted to in both the oral surgeon's chair and the dentist's chair.

I know what you mean. K04 would be best bang for buck and get you at least 100whp over stock.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I know what you mean. K04 would be best bang for buck and get you at least 100whp over stock.

The weird thing is that I heard conflicting reports when it comes to going with a K04. Some have told me that it moves the power band further down the RPM range, which I think I would like. Others who have K04s have complained that there is too much low end power.

I'm guessing like everything else, this all boils down to the tuning?

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
The weird thing is that I heard conflicting reports when it comes to going with a K04. Some have told me that it moves the power band further down the RPM range, which I think I would like. Others who have K04s have complained that there is too much low end power.

I'm guessing like everything else, this all boils down to the tuning?

I think it is just a consequence of speaking relatively. K04 moves the power farther down... Compared to what? Compared to stock turbo. But much less than big turbo. So depending on who is saying what, you'll hear different things.

Low end <-----------------------> High end
IHI turbo <---> K04 <----------> Big Turbo

Uberryan

Banned
Swapping turbos to something larger is going to affect your powerband. K04 is a moderate size upgrade over the stock IHI k03 comparison. Your low end will suffer to some extent unless tuning is adjusted to bump low-end throttle response. Initially, APR's tune was giving too much power in the lower RPMs causing spinning, and rapid tire wear. Their new 3.0/3.1 tune seems to have remedied that by spread the bump to higher RPMs where the power can be applied a bit better.

A big turbo setup would move the powerband so high, you'd feel like a slug off the line, but it'll kick you in the nuts at 3.5k+ RPMs. Evo-effect

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Swapping turbos to something larger is going to affect your powerband. K04 is a moderate size upgrade over the stock IHI k03 comparison. Your low end will suffer to some extent unless tuning is adjusted to bump low-end throttle response. Initially, APR's tune was giving too much power in the lower RPMs causing spinning, and rapid tire wear. Their new 3.0/3.1 tune seems to have remedied that by spread the bump to higher RPMs where the power can be applied a bit better.

A big turbo setup would move the powerband so high, you'd feel like a slug off the line, but it'll kick you in the nuts at 3.5k+ RPMs. Evo-effect

Sign me up for kick in the nuts feeling turbo.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
You got about $8k to drop?

Big turbo is a little over the top for a FWD vehicle. Technically you need better motor internals and fueling support in addition to everything needed for a K04. I'm guessing both DSG clutch packs and a LSD would be recommended in my case, so that 8k budget just grew a few more thousand. Not worth it!

OTOH, for about $4k, I can go K04 with all the remaining recommended upgrades or purchase a new vehicle and start over with mods, lol. For the record, my wife cringes when I replace the tires with the temp tag still on the new vehicle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Big turbo is a little over the top for a FWD vehicle. Technically you need better motor internals and fueling support in addition to everything needed for a K04. I'm guessing both DSG clutch packs and a LSD would be recommended in my case, so that 8k budget just grew a few more thousand. Not worth it!

OTOH, for about $4k, I can go K04 with all the remaining recommended upgrades or purchase a new vehicle and start over with mods, lol. For the record, my wife cringes when I replace the tires with the temp tag still on the new vehicle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
'

you dont need that.

ATP gt2871r kit and unitronic stage 3 software and youre in the 350-370whp range. DSG software wouldnt hurt but clutch packs wouldnt be required... a lot of people run APR stage 3 kit without clutch packs(DSG) or rods(for the motor work you speak of). As a rule of thumb ive read on here people dont do rods unless you are gonna hit 400whp or more. Sure it would be "Safer" to have them but not required.

The kit is 3200.00 software is 900.00 so you could be up and running with a big turbo for under $4500.00 (excluding labor)

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I lied the kit is almost $2900. so add the 900 for unitronic software (or you could get cobb and a protune probably for around the 1k mark(including the AP) so you are looking at around $4k

JT641

Banned
I think it depends on what you really want/need, For example back a ways I considered stopping where I was mod wise and getting something else Unfortunately I spent a bunch more on my GTI. But Now I'm In a different place in my life where I need to get something else (a 4 door sedan with an automatic) and Wishing I had done it the first time I thought of it.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I think it depends on what you really want/need, For example back a ways I considered stopping where I was mod wise and getting something else Unfortunately I spent a bunch more on my GTI. But Now I'm In a different place in my life where I need to get something else (a 4 door sedan with an automatic) and Wishing I had done it the first time I thought of it.

The good news is I just want another car whereas I don't actually need another vehicle for any particular reason. Also, it looks like I am about to get suckered into another six months at my current contract position, so it makes no sense to purchase a new vehicle that will just get beat up on the segmented concrete roads I travel every single day. In other words, if I don't tell them to pound sand by December 31, 2016, my contract auto-renews for 6 months. Yay...

As a result, I figured I would go K04 and see if that keeps me more entertained with the GTI for a few more years. I'm hoping to be upgraded by May 2017. :D

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
The good news is I just want another car whereas I don't actually need another vehicle for any particular reason. Also, it looks like I am about to get suckered into another six months at my current contract position, so it makes no sense to purchase a new vehicle that will just get beat up on the segmented concrete roads I travel every single day. In other words, if I don't tell them to pound sand by December 31, 2016, my contract auto-renews for 6 months. Yay...

As a result, I figured I would go K04 and see if that keeps me more entertained with the GTI for a few more years. I'm hoping to be upgraded by May 2017. :D

Fun fun. I wish i had the funds to go now.. But its tight right now