GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Collision Repair Questions

k3sh4v

Passed Driver's Ed
Got T-boned at an intersection a couple of days ago. I don't have to pay the deductible since I am not at fault.
Insurance still trying to figure out if it should be considered a total loss or not. My car is currently sitting at a body shop recommended by the police.
Should I get it moved to a VW certified body shop? I found some here in this link.
http://www.vwserviceandparts.com/vw-collision-repair/dealers/MI/

Any other body shop recommendations in the Detroit area?

Attachments

• IMG_3013.JPG
    IMG_3013.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 250

k3sh4v

Passed Driver's Ed
As a former insurance adjuster, that is going to be a total loss most likely.

State Farm said the initial estimate ($8378) does not meet their threshold (an additional $2700), which is 75% of the fair market value of my car.

They are going to do a tear down before I get the final estimate next week. Their initial estimate has recycled and or refurbished parts.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
State Farm said the initial estimate ($8378) does not meet their threshold (an additional $2700), which is 75% of the fair market value of my car.

They are going to do a tear down before I get the final estimate next week. Their initial estimate has recycled and or refurbished parts.

Do not let them use recycled/refurbished parts. Make them use new genuine VW parts and nothing less. In my mind, if my car was hit like that I would rather have it new with new parts...otherwise collect the check from the insurance company and buy something else. Just my .02

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Do not let them use recycled/refurbished parts. Make them use new genuine VW parts and nothing less. In my mind, if my car was hit like that I would rather have it new with new parts...otherwise collect the check from the insurance company and buy something else. Just my .02
He may not have a choice based on the terms & conditions of the policy.

Alot of them state if you want something other than what's on the estimate, YOU have to pay the difference.

Shitty situation either way. Hope it works out in your favor after tear down. I wouldn't want that car back

k3sh4v

Passed Driver's Ed
He may not have a choice based on the terms & conditions of the policy.

Alot of them state if you want something other than what's on the estimate, YOU have to pay the difference.

Shitty situation either way. Hope it works out in your favor after tear down. I wouldn't want that car back

That's right. The shitty part is nothing changed after the tear down. The estimate did not increase by a penny :confused:

I don't really have a choice here.

pdan

Ready to race!
I had to deal with repairs a few weeks ago and was fighting for OEM parts vs aftermarket. Granted my damage was waaaaaaay less then what you have going on.

The body shop the insurance company suggested was only gonna use reps, so I decided to find a different shop. Long story short I found a dealership who was nice enough to price match the genuine parts to the original estimate. If they don't start with OEMs, try and find someone who will. Good luck man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
id get collision work done at an actual vw dealer. because they usually dont use reps just takeoffs from local junkyards which i dont mind at all. plus every single one of those parts repaired are warrantied. I just had a crash and they sent me a list of every part that wasnt brand new and every junk yard part is warrantied not to fail for the length of my ownership. That was through safeco(liberty mutual)

also not to mention if you take it to a dealership and have them do an estimate theyll probably come in a bit higher and it could tip it over to a total loss, if thats what you want. I would

Bill19751

Ready to race!
That's right. The shitty part is nothing changed after the tear down. The estimate did not increase by a penny :confused:

I don't really have a choice here.
I'm really surprised they didn't find more damage. That seems awfully suspicious. Did you research and find a local shop, or did you go to the shop to State Farm wanted you to go to?

I was rear ended some time ago and the other driver had State Farm. Although I now know it is standard practice, they were insistent on using a recycled bumper cover and bumper assembly. I was pretty surprised and a bit frustrated. I got flamed on another forum for thinking I shouldn't have to settle for recycled parts, and not doing whatever SF wanted. Oh well.

Fortunately, the body shop I went to is really adamant about using new OEM parts as much as possible, and was somehow able to convince them to pay for new parts from the dealer. It is possible to get used body parts and not know the difference, so maybe it isn't so bad, but I would definitely insist they not use aftermarket stuff.

Interesting note, State Farm was recently involved in a huge class action involving this, and trying to tamper in a state election to get a judge elected to dismiss another lawsuit involving their use of recycled parts.

Good luck, I know it's frustrating, upsetting and a huge headache, most all of us have been there before, just glad you're OK.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

k3sh4v

Passed Driver's Ed
Update: Transferred to a VW body shop. Got a quote close to $14k while the car is valued at $14.8k. Insurance called it a total loss and paid me the fair market value and the full sales tax when I purchased the car.
Loved it and I am sad that I lost it but I see the bright side.

pdan

Ready to race!
Overall bad situation, sorry you lost it but at least you got the full value out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk