GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
Is that not what I have in the second photo?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I glanced quickly, but yeah, thats what you need. I can help you wire it if you need some help.

rucheng10

Passed Driver's Ed
I am with you guys on this. I actually bought this and found out the hard way it doesnt work.

The thing is these units are for the China/India/Russ market and these units are not sold with Fender/Dynaaudio from factory. So the firmware is what does not support the signals to the amps.

If (and hopefully when) VW starts shipping these units with Fender/Dynaaudio then we will be able to buy those and code them for Fender/Dynaaudio.

Until then the only other option is some sort of line level converter from the unit to the amp. But I do not have enough knowledge to do this stuff myself unfortunately.

I have been doing some digging and I found something that I think might work.

http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/INSTVWTO-01_web.pdf

This should work if someone wants to give it a try.
Did you already try messing with all the audio options in VCDS?

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
Did you already try messing with all the audio options in VCDS?

Yeah, It does not accept any changes with regard to the Sound System and gives back the Error 31.

Similar experience to those that tried installing the very early RCD510's that did not have fender/dynaaudio.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, It does not accept any changes with regard to the Sound System and gives back the Error 31.

Similar experience to those that tried installing the very early RCD510's that did not have fender/dynaaudio.

Boo! Guess I can't run this newer headunit then :(

There isn't some higher priced version that does work with Dynaudio and rear view camera?

jontalk

Ready to race!
The red "thing" is a 10amp fuse. I had an RCD310, and this does seem to sound a little bit better. I'm not sure if this unit supplies more amps than my original or not.

You were right about the seller; he responded quickly and speaks good English which is always nice. When you link the unit via Bluetooth to the phone, what functions are available? I don't think my car has the mic in the overhead area, so I doubt you can make hands free calls can you? What about maps? Sorry but when you have such a basic head unit as I do, it's a curiosity. I notice some of the RCD330's have red trimmed buttons while others don't..does anyone know what the difference is?

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
Boo! Guess I can't run this newer headunit then :(

There isn't some higher priced version that does work with Dynaudio and rear view camera?

There is but the price difference is significant($800-$1000) and your need the dealers help.

Look for the 'Discover Media STD2 PQ'. It is what is found on the Tiguians I believe, and there are quadconnector converters depending how old the car is.

Only problem with these is they have component protection so you have to find a dealer that is willing to activate it for you. There has been a few stories of success on vwvortex with dealers ok doing it once it is installed in your car.

TheCor

Ready to race!
You were right about the seller; he responded quickly and speaks good English which is always nice. When you link the unit via Bluetooth to the phone, what functions are available? I don't think my car has the mic in the overhead area, so I doubt you can make hands free calls can you? What about maps? Sorry but when you have such a basic head unit as I do, it's a curiosity. I notice some of the RCD330's have red trimmed buttons while others don't..does anyone know what the difference is?

The 3rd spot down for a button the left side of the unit is the microphone. All bluetooth capabilities including the mic are built into this unit. I have made and received calls from it, works well. It imports all of your contacts to the unit, so when bluetooth is connected you can make calls from the unit, it also plays music and allows you to change tracks with the unit, rather than on the phone, even on bluetooth. I explored all of that stuff just to see what it can do, but mostly connect my iphone via USB and use CarPlay, which takes care of all the music/phone, etc.

I haven't seen any "red trimmed"? When you lights are off, all text on the buttons is white, and when you turn lights on, it glows red, which perfectly matches the GTI interior lighting, not sure about other models.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Not much of a DIY'er but need to know which size Torx screws are used to remove the head unit. Thanks :)

I think 20.. The one I bought (see my link in this thread) came with one and a trim removal tool

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

jontalk

Ready to race!
The 3rd spot down for a button the left side of the unit is the microphone. All bluetooth capabilities including the mic are built into this unit. I have made and received calls from it, works well. It imports all of your contacts to the unit, so when bluetooth is connected you can make calls from the unit, it also plays music and allows you to change tracks with the unit, rather than on the phone, even on bluetooth. I explored all of that stuff just to see what it can do, but mostly connect my iphone via USB and use CarPlay, which takes care of all the music/phone, etc.

I haven't seen any "red trimmed"? When you lights are off, all text on the buttons is white, and when you turn lights on, it glows red, which perfectly matches the GTI interior lighting, not sure about other models.

Just took another look at features and notice that unlike the RCD-510 this unit does NOT have a CD player which today is rather strange. Thanks guys but I'm going to pass on getting one :(

Last edited:

JohnoBurr

Ready to race!
Just took another look at features and notice that unlike the RCD-510 this unit does NOT have a CD player which today is rather strange. Thanks guys but I'm going to pass on getting one :(

I would actually say it's strange that your reason for not getting one is lack of a CD player. The primary draw of this unit is using either CarPlay or bluetooth for playing music.

jontalk

Ready to race!
I would actually say it's strange that your reason for not getting one is lack of a CD player. The primary draw of this unit is using either CarPlay or bluetooth for playing music.

I understand what you're saying..but I'm an Android guy, don't spend tons of time in the car nor do I stream much music on my phone. I made the error of assuming it DID have a CD player since all VW head units with the model "RCD" are 'radio/CD' units which this is not. My bad.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion

Because who really owns CD's anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
When I plug my phone in for CarPlay, I would say half the time there is no audio that comes through and I have to unplug and plug back in.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk