GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI stalling

Bonediddly

I posted on vwvortex about this... My 2011 was doing the exact same thing. Took it to 2 dealers and left it with them for a while. Both said they couldn't recreate it and nothin came up on a scan of the car...

After working a couple more tanks of gas through the car, I havnt noticed this problem much anymore. Certainly hasnt done it in the past few weeks. I am hoping it's just crappy dealer gas being worked out of my engine. Not thinking it's an o2 sensor cause wouldn't a faulty/dirty/underperforming sensor show up in a scan?

It does kinda scare me that more and more 2011s are exhibiting this problem... I hope it's not some far more complicated problem than crappy gas

ncelk

Bad gas sometimes causes stalling with me as well............:)

Not talking about the GTI by the way.......LOL

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
my dealer filled me up with 91 octane and it did it even after i filled it up with 93 on my second tank of gas... ever since ive consistantly been using 93 it hasnt been doing it.. also i have been cranking it longer. havent had it happen to me now in about 2-3 weeks. i have an 2011 with 900 miles on it. 6spd.

Exposure

Ready to race!
Ive had this happen to me about 8 or 9 times to. I drive a 2011 DSG and i have only had it for a little over a month. Maybe its something that has to do with breaking in because ever since I've been over 500 miles it has not happened to me at all.

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
I was going to suggest octane, as well.

Last week, when I drove up to your fine country I noticed that the stations in New Hampshire had 87/89/91, no 93. Maine/Vermont/New York all had the real deal. Don't know what's up with the Granite state.

Didn't catch what octanes were available in Quebec, because, as a real 'murken, I have no clue what a liter or litre is.

Rockstar

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all, I posted about this over on vwv too. It hasn't happened again since I refueled. But, it also didn't do it for a week before either, so we will see. I'm at 450 miles now.

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
That's weird. I have a 2010 w/ DSG and I just let the computer control the starter. Basically, when I start the car, I briefly push the key in igniton to "Start", then release right away. This is all in a fraction of a second. There's a split second lag, then the ignition would start the starter, engine would turn over automatically, starting the car. I think the amount of time the starter needs to run to completely start the car is automatically controlled by the ECU. Meaning you don't have to hold the key in "Start" position until the car starts.

The only other way I can describe this is the push button start for Lexus when I was test driving it. Push Start and release, Starter will start a split of second after release.

This is unlike my previous car where I have to hold the key in the Start position until the engine turns over and start. Where as if I do what I'm doing w/ the GTI now, as soon as I release it from "Start", the engine would die right away because the starter is controlled by the ignition switch.

What you describe is what I could do with my '98 E300 Turbodiesel MBZ. You could turn the key, wait for the glow plug signal, then tap the starter quick and let go, and the car would continue to crank till started.

Also, if you wanted to bleed any air of our the fuel system line, When you turn the key to start, keep the key turned after it starts for up to 45 seconds.

It was a very slick feature that car had.

snofrandy

Ready to race!
^^ahh Diesel

I had a 2010 Jetta rental when I drove up to Vancouver from Seattle over the weekend. Almost everytime I start the car, I would blip the ignition but engine won't start lol. Then I would remember i'm in a Jetta not a GTI. So i'd start it like a regular car.

Similar key design, similar layout, which I guess my brain process that I'm in my GTI lol.

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
SO I have had my new car for less then a month and I have had a problem intermittently about 8 times so far.

Basically when I am starting the car it will sometimes start idling very low 500rpm then stall.

I have also had the above happen and I have hit the gas to bring the rpms up but shortly after driving I have tried to accelerate and the car is in neutral as the revs just go up freely. Changing it from Park to drive resolved this.

Do I have a problem with my DSG? I first experienced the stalling a couple of days after picking up the car.

I've had this very same thing happen too, before the reflash issue. I took it to the VW haus for it's first checkup, and they couldn't figure it out, but they did rule our the Mechatronic. I think they wanted to blame the Stage 1 Flash. But now, with a brand new programmed ECU and a APR Stage 1 Flash on that (and more radical performance), when after a cold start, within the first 1 - 2 min of driving, this can happen when I come to a stop, but it's not as bad. Once warmed up, it doesn't happen at all.

btvlss

2011 GTI Stalling Issue

I had my 2011 4-door DSG for a whole day before the stalling issue started. I had it at the dealer 4 times and VW of America has officially deemed it a lemon. I only had the car 50% of the time since purchase and it only has 1245 miles on it.
I'm currently in the process of getting my money refunded. Given the frequency of the stalling issue, the fact that VW can't fix it and and they act like I am the only person this has ever happened to, I'll be purchasing a non VW.....

ZCulture

My dealer confirmed that this is an issue that

they have seen before and VW is aware of it. They don't have a solution yet.

AdamC

Ready to race!
I had this happen like 3 times when I first bought the car. I think my cheap salesman threw 87 in there to fill it up after I reamed him on the price (kidding) but it seems to have disappeared by now. It was very unsettling for me the first time it happened to say the least.