GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My wife's 2013 WRX vs my Golf R comparison

07STitoR

Ready to race!
Coming from an STI its really a car thats over kill for the streets but that extra grip/braking capability definitely makes the car alot more fun to drive. My 07 GD chasis would out corner my R on summer tires, Same cant be said for the new GR/GV chasis as they've gotten softer to suit the DD needs.

As for the seats the STI seats ARE NOT rebaged Wrx seats they're both really different. The R has rebaged GTI seats. I don't feel comparing a WRX to a R is fair the price is pretty different. Kind of like comparing the GTR to the 911 Turbo a 30-50k price difference (Actually thinking about that statement yeah I guess you can compare it). Comparing the R to the STI isnt really fair either but people still do it, The STI is an all out performance car like the EVOs where its main priority is track numbers then creature comforts. I guess the best way I can describe it the R is a Cadillac compared to the STI.

Brakes are more progressive in the STI where the brakes on the R which I hate is incredibly grabby. More steering feel in my GD STI compared to the R, interiors to me both still suck the R is a little better but i liked the steering wheel in the STI its softer material feels better in my hand where the R feels like rubbery. Tough to compare a car I had for 6 years and another car I've had for 4 months as I'm still getting know it. Overall though the R is better choice for a DD if you don't plan on tracking it since a couple of suspension mods made my car feel like it rode on rails, where every time I turn the wheel of the R it under steers.

Last edited:

deaconblue

Passed Driver's Ed
No offense, but why did you buy an R? Sounds like you like you preferred the STi.

Coming from an STI its really a car thats over kill for the streets but that extra grip/braking capability definitely makes the car alot more fun to drive. My 07 GD chasis would out corner my R on summer tires, Same cant be said for the new GR/GV chasis as they've gotten softer to suit the DD needs.

As for the seats the STI seats ARE NOT rebaged Wrx seats they're both really different. The R has rebaged GTI seats. I don't feel comparing a WRX to a R is fair the price is pretty different. Kind of like comparing the GTR to the 911 Turbo a 30-50k price difference (Actually thinking about that statement yeah I guess you can compare it). Comparing the R to the STI isnt really fair either but people still do it, The STI is an all out performance car like the EVOs where its main priority is track numbers then creature comforts. I guess the best way I can describe it the R is a Cadillac compared to the STI.

Brakes are more progressive in the STI where the brakes on the R which I hate is incredibly grabby. More steering feel in my GD STI compared to the R, interiors to me both still suck the R is a little better but i liked the steering wheel in the STI its softer material feels better in my hand where the R feels like rubbery. Tough to compare a car I had for 6 years and another car I've had for 4 months as I'm still getting know it. Overall though the R is better choice for a DD if you don't plan on tracking it since a couple of suspension mods made my car feel like it rode on rails, where every time I turn the wheel of the R it under steers.

Csg_r

Ready to race!
No offense, but why did you buy an R? Sounds like you like you preferred the STi.

I preferred my 13 sti as well as far as drivability Haha. Like I said my stage 1+ R with Cai finally feels about stock sti. But I just needed fun enough car tht has more creature comfort. I can't live without keyless entry now.

rj45

Passed Driver's Ed
I had an '08 STi. I liked it, but it certainly wasn't as good as it could have been. First off, it didn't feel like 305hp. I never had it dynoed, but it felt more like 250hp to me. The engine also suffered from flat spots and stumbles. There was a factory updated ECU reflash, but it didn't improve drivability much at all (IIRC, it mainly prevented a lean condition when repeatedly bouncing off the rev limiter). The ride/handling was good, but body roll was a bit too much for my liking. Interior was OK, but certainly nothing to write home about. It had very good cargo room, though. I did like the exterior styling...the fender flares, BBS wheels, etc...Subaru nailed it IMO. I know Subaru improved the '08 STi in subsequent years, but I never drove an updated model. I'm looking forward to seeing the new STi.

In comparison, the R is a much better car overall IMO. The only area where it trails is exterior styling...it has a refined/mature look, but it could be a bit more aggressive, and it needs some nicer stock wheels, too. Regarding speed verses my '08 STi, my R feels a little quicker and has a more exciting rush when coming up on boost. It also sounds very good IMO...not as deep as the STi, but a sweeter tone. One dislike is the sluggish e-throttle. No regrets though, the R's great car. I'm looking forward to seeing the MkVII R, as well.

07STitoR

Ready to race!

I bought the R cause the rawness of the STI was killing me. Rides like shit over bumps, zero sound insulation (sucks when you're tired and just want to get somewhere), and everybody and their mother wanted to race me even people in mini vans, dumb comments from women (does that big spoiler make your car go faster etc). One thing for sure I'll miss is the fun to drive factor, The R is too tame. If I was able to keep 2 cars it would def be evo/sti on the weekends R on the weekdays but its financially already more worse than buying a new car.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I bought the R cause the rawness of the STI was killing me. Rides like shit over bumps, zero sound insulation (sucks when you're tired and just want to get somewhere), and everybody and their mother wanted to race me even people in mini vans, dumb comments from women (does that big spoiler make your car go faster etc). One thing for sure I'll miss is the fun to drive factor, The R is too tame. If I was able to keep 2 cars it would def be evo/sti on the weekends R on the weekdays but its financially already more worse than buying a new car.

:clap::bellyroll::lol:

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion

I agree the R is a dog stock, but are you or have you tuned it? Intake, downpipe, hpfp and tune puts this car right where it should be imho

hifichip76

Thanks for writing this great comparison. I almost bought a WRX, but after test driving them both...went with the R. The STI was just too pricey and boy-racer for me at my age, especially already owning a 350z. I wanted some refinement. Seems like what you found is pretty much what I thought.

ides1056

Ready to race!
You know, 1/4 mile times have never been an interesting statistic to me. But they might sell cars: I've been in NYC twice in the past two weeks, and seen fleets of top of the chart w/r/t power cars: Audi S's, BMW M's, Benz AMG, Porsche, etc. They race from light to light, and occasionally wind up slammed into a stopped cab- saw this at 88 and Amsterdam- nice Audi totally f'ed. Why do these people buy them? The status of 1/4 mile speeds, or that they are the most expensive cars on the lot?
On a wide open, twisting road, that's where performance matters to me. I never try to be the first guy to the next light. Why beat on your car like that?
I bought the R for the same reasons spelled out in this very good review.
My hope is that the R is as reliable as the R32's I know of. Then it will prove to be a really great car.

JamieConway88

Great. Thank you for sharing your impression in a very detail writing and I really agree with your comment about Subaru Impreza. I also have just purchased a Subaru Impreza 2011 for sale by Car From Japan as my friend's recommendation. You can see more in here: https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-subaru-impreza-for-sale-year2011

It's a used car but mechanically it's great. It possesses the feature of AWD, which is a godsend in bad weather, safety, tougher underparts fit for outdoor, enough space, Bluetooth, and USB. I live in the hills and have to drive through snow, mud, etc. I didn't expect to have such nice road-hugging and really fun to drive. Bought it with manual transmission which is smooth. No frills, but really fun and dependable little car.