GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying this weekend!

jggibbs3

Hey Guys,

New here. Hoping to buy my GTI this weekend. Been pining over this cars for almost 3 years and I'm finally pulling the trigger. Just deciding between 2 cars.

Option A) Certified 2012. Black 4 door, DSG, LED lights & sunroof, 18k miles

Option B) 2013 Grey 2 door, Autobahn, DSG, 29k miles.

They're similarly priced but the mileage and the certification helps the 2012, and I prefer the 4 door. Hate that I can't find a stick anywhere with the options I like. Very unfortunate.

Any thoughts, incite or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
I personally would choose option B. Autobahn and 2 dr would fit me better.

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
Hey Guys,

New here. Hoping to buy my GTI this weekend. Been pining over this cars for almost 3 years and I'm finally pulling the trigger. Just deciding between 2 cars.

They're similarly priced but the mileage and the certification helps the 2012, and I prefer the 4 door. Hate that I can't find a stick anywhere with the options I like. Very unfortunate.

Hmm, tough decision... it will really come down to your preference. Roughly the same mileage, but I like that A is slight less. I like that B is a more recent year. I like A's color better. I like B's trim better (Autobahn). I like that A has 4 doors. Oh and I'd say don't read too much into the "Certification" aspect. It's hit or miss, in terms of whether or not that translates into a car that is in better condition :p

I take it both cars have clean records (no accidents)?

Don't be too bummed about not finding manual. DSG is super awesome, and is not your ordinary Automatic ;)

jggibbs3

Thanks for the input!

robeeeerob, yes, both are clean, no accidents, etc. Both are 1 previous owner from a lease. And you hit the nail on the head. They both have their pluses and minuses. I do prefer the 4-dr. I'll probably just go with the better price. Seems like a good determining factor.

I hope I'll like the DSG in time. I've driven a few and they're ok. Just not as fun as a manual. They seem sluggish around town but once I opened it up, it did get fun.

The only thing i like about the Certified is the extra 2 years of warranty. Am I making that a bigger deal than I should? The 2013 has 11 months or 6k miles left on the original warranty.

VincentValentine

Passed Driver's Ed
If you prefer a 4-door like me, go for option A. If you get the 2-door, you might regret not getting a 4-door. It's just more convenient if you actually drive friends around.

Color wise it's just preference. Black looks dirty faster but looks great when clean.

If you get the Autobahn you only have 11k miles before you have to do 40k service out of pocket. That one includes the DSG service I believe.

Compare the Options the Autobahn gives you compared to the other model, do you need them?

Lastly price, always try to get the dealer to accept a lower price. After comparing the price on both, make a list of features you like and add a dollar amount on how much that feature is worth to you. Do the math and no doubt there will be a clear winner.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Hey Guys,

I'd personally not go with either option. If you want MT and it sounds like you do, hold out and wait to find one. DSG sucks if you are a MT driver.

not trying to start a debate here either about DSG vs MT. Just saying, if you prefer MT like I do, you'll never be happy with a DSG even though it is "faster" etc.

zrickety

The Fixer
I've driven MT 20 years, DSG is a fine substitute. If you are going to tune it, MT will require an upgraded clutch. Whatever you choose, welcome and GL!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Price?

jggibbs3

All make good points here.

Jay, I would LOVE a MT, but they're just don't seem to be available with the options I do want. Or at least not in my area. As far as MT vs DSG, my girlfriend has a 6-sp Mini Cooer S with a manual. I can take that out if I need to get my stick fix in.

Vincent, I actually don't really care about the leather interior on the Autobahn since I like the plaid cloth. Keyless start doesn't really matter to me either. The price on the autobahn is why I'm considering it. After a lot of debate, i only really drive friends around 10-15% of my driving time. So 2-dr vs 4-dr is fine there. I prefer the window line of the 4-dr.

zrickety, no engine mods for me. Just LED tails and maybe exhaust.

maxtdi, black 4-dr is $21,900. grey 2-dr is $20,900

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I'd go for the autobahn if you can live with the 2 doors...

jwal

Ready to race!

Jay, I would LOVE a MT, but they're just don't seem to be available with the options I do want. Or at least not in my area. As far as MT vs DSG, my girlfriend has a 6-sp Mini Cooer S with a manual. I can take that out if I need to get my stick fix in.

You are going to let your GF drive a manual and not you? She is going to make fun of you.:D

If you can, I would wait and try to find a manual, but this is all up to you. I would get a 4 door. After getting a two door, I am slightly disappointed. It is a real pain in the ass when you hauling anything. I also hate where the crossbeam for the door sits.

VincentValentine

Passed Driver's Ed

Vincent, I actually don't really care about the leather interior on the Autobahn since I like the plaid cloth. Keyless start doesn't really matter to me either. The price on the autobahn is why I'm considering it. After a lot of debate, i only really drive friends around 10-15% of my driving time. So 2-dr vs 4-dr is fine there. I prefer the window line of the 4-dr.

zrickety, no engine mods for me. Just LED tails and maybe exhaust.

maxtdi, black 4-dr is $21,900. grey 2-dr is $20,900

With those prices I would go autobahn... The black 4-dr is a bit pricey... Should be around 19-20k at most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jggibbs3

With those prices I would go autobahn... The black 4-dr is a bit pricey... Should be around 19-20k at most.

I feel like the pricing is all due to my area. I guess Seattle dealers think they can charge more.

I've been working my local dealer, trying to find a car, they just got a 2012 Autobahn but its listed at $26,888. They're insane. I told them so.

You are going to let your GF drive a manual and not you? She is going to make fun of you.:D

I know. It's sad. At least we'll have one manual car.

Am I crazy for prioritizing LED headlights and a sunroof over a manual?

RAPPLE

Ready to race!
I would take option A. Biggest reason; peace of mind. 18k/mi means that you might have some manufactures warranty left, depending on original sale date. If not you still have the CPO warranty to fall back on. My last VW was a CPO something broke, $50 bucks. Only happened once, but it was better than paying the 250-300 for the job that it needed. Plus having a older car with lower miles can help in the long run and value. Plus it's 11k/mi less.

$0.02