GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NCSUGray90's 2011 Titan Black GTI

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Finally had my first track day in the GTI, and I must say, I was impressed.

The car handled great, had enough power to get me down the straights, but not so much to make modulation during turns a pain, and was very predictable ad easy to recover.

I will say, while the stock brakes did OK, I would absolutely recommend replacing them before doing 2b]anything on a track. I had fade at the end of nearly all my sessions, and actually had them on fire when I came in from a session without a cool down lap. So definitely replace those.

Here is a vid from my 3rd session on day one. I got much faster in the third session and through the next day, as I drove the first few session almost exclusively in fourth, to focus more on my line than on shifting. Enjoy:

I will be posting another video of the day s highlights, but that will take a bit of time to edit, compile, and upload

Way to go! Good work with the cam as well :) You got your own Go-Pro?

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Cool video! Sounded like you were having a blast. Neat that your friend is also your instructor.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Way to go! Good work with the cam as well :) You got your own Go-Pro?
the GoPro filming the track is mine, the one filming us is my roommate's. I actually got the idea for the setup from /Drive videos on youtube. Matt Ferah has been doing one take videos in a similar format.
Cool video! Sounded like you were having a blast. Neat that your friend is also your instructor.
It's pretty handy, he's been doing this since he was 16 from what I can remember, and he drives an MK5, so definitely a good fit.

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Awesome video. Im am excited to try and get out there one of these days. I still need to upgrade my brakes per your advices. Being stage 2 I doubt my car would like me killing the brakes.

How was running in fourth? Was it that much easier to work on your lines?

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Cool, great job! Looking fwd to more like this :)

Thanks! I'm working on putting together a highlights vid this afternoon that involves me passing 5.0's and getting it loose a couple of times, lol.

Awesome video. Im am excited to try and get out there one of these days. I still need to upgrade my brakes per your advices. Being stage 2 I doubt my car would like me killing the brakes.

How was running in fourth? Was it that much easier to work on your lines?

Absoutely upgrade the brakes. My instructor recommended Hawk HP+ fronts and HPS rears to help keep the rear from getting squirrely on hard braking. The less aggressive compound should effectively give more front brake bias.

Running in fourth helped a good bit, because I hadn't learned to heel toe yet, and screwing up my downshifts had me frustrated and messed my line into the corner up, which ruined the line for the majority of the corner. I ran 4th only for just that session, and was shifting for the rest of them.

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Absoutely upgrade the brakes. My instructor recommended Hawk HP+ fronts and HPS rears to help keep the rear from getting squirrely on hard braking. The less aggressive compound should effectively give more front brake bias.

Running in fourth helped a good bit, because I hadn't learned to heel toe yet, and screwing up my downshifts had me frustrated and messed my line into the corner up, which ruined the line for the majority of the corner. I ran 4th only for just that session, and was shifting for the rest of them.
Yea I could see the rear end coming out a little once or twice. As far as the heel toe. I dont have to worry ive got the DSG. I am even more anxious to get out there for a day now that ive seen your video. The two camera setup was a great idea. When is the next time you are planning to head out to cmp?

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Yea I could see the rear end coming out a little once or twice. As far as the heel toe. I dont have to worry ive got the DSG. I am even more anxious to get out there for a day now that ive seen your video. The two camera setup was a great idea. When is the next time you are planning to head out to cmp?

Probably not anytime soon. The weekend cost $350 after membership dues for the year, and while thats not SUPER expensive, its a bit much to do very often. Plus, the brakes I want are about $250 to go all around, and I spent well over $100 on gas and food for the weekend. Right now my next planned event is in October, but its at VIR. That should give me time to get new brakes and a track set of wheels and tires (cheap light Sparcos and Federal 595RSR's). You should definitely do the VIR event, the guys I plan on going with are all planning on camping out in the paddock and grilling out all weekend, should be a blast!

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Probably not anytime soon. The weekend cost $350 after membership dues for the year, and while thats not SUPER expensive, its a bit much to do very often. Plus, the brakes I want are about $250 to go all around, and I spent well over $100 on gas and food for the weekend. Right now my next planned event is in October, but its at VIR. That should give me time to get new brakes and a track set of wheels and tires (cheap light Sparcos and Federal 595RSR's). You should definitely do the VIR event, the guys I plan on going with are all planning on camping out in the paddock and grilling out all weekend, should be a blast!

Yea I wouldn't expect you to go often. It does seem quite expensive. I would be down for the VIR event. But I'll be deployed at that time. I wish I had gone to this event looking back now.

Sent from my damn iPhone.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Yea I wouldn't expect you to go often. It does seem quite expensive. I would be down for the VIR event. But I'll be deployed at that time. I wish I had gone to this event looking back now.

Sent from my damn iPhone.

Gotcha. Hindsight is always 20:20 though. When are you getting sent out? Depending on how tax returns and quarterly bonuses pan out I may be able to fit one more in before October.

You should definitely check NASA Sooutheast and Mid-Atlantic websites to see what events they have near you before you head out. It didn't change what I wanted to do with my car so much, but it definitely moved some priorities around as far as order of mods.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Quick highlight reel from the weekend, didn't put most of my passes in there, as that would have made the video about 3x as long (/modesty)

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Got some new (to me) parts yesterday. Can't wait to put them on!

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
How are your H&Rs and Koni Yellows behaving? I am seriously thinking about getting a spring/shock combo now that Koni has some awesome offers. I will either get yellows or oranges. Orange seems to be like the yellow on its softest setting and it is cheaper :)

Regarding springs, I am really confused. People have good things to say about H&R sports and super-sports. However, both are progressive. And some camps believe that linear is better. I think linears are better with the stock shocks, but if I am upgrading the shocks themselves, progressives should be good. What are your thoughts?

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
I'm still on stock struts, but the springs have held up great so far, especially on track. They really cut down on the body roll. I personally like the progressive since they allow for a smoother daily drive than I would think a comparably stiff linear spring would.

What are these Koni offers of which you speak, are they having a sale?

Also, got my track pads and new brake fluid in today! Hopefully this will keep the brakes firm through all my sessions and keep things from catching on fire again. I do plan on making some kind of vent into the back of the dust shield to help with this as well

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Oh, I thought you already have installed a set of Konis. The discount is everywhere, Koni's official website/Tirerack. It is a flat 25% sale. I am placing the order some time next week.

As for the springs, I think I will eventually go with DG. That is the kind of drop I am looking for and they are linear which I prefer.

Congrats on the Hawk pads! I had installed Stoptechs and they definitely improve the brake bite :thumbsup: