GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Two new problems - Rattles and Fuel Gauge

Rcosta

Hi all,

I'm sure you've had this question/questions asked a million times in different ways however I haven't come across a thread directly referencing my problem. (Mk6 GTI 2012)

Problem #1: Rattling/Vibrating at idle
This occurs only on cold starts, so generally only in the morning on my way to work. After about 5 minutes of driving, whenever I'm idle at the lights it will vibrate and sound like it's coming from the dash. It never does this problem in the afternoon. Would it be the fuel lines if it only occurs when it's cold?

Problem #2: Fuel gauge hitting empty
This only just occurred for the first time this morning. I pulled up to some lights and noticed that the fuel gauge was on empty (was full while on the motorway). When I pulled up to work and turned my car off and back on again, the fuel gauge reset and was working normally.

Obviously I'll take the car to the dealership but would like a bit of insight if anyone has had this problem before.

Thanks.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Problem #1 is normal I believe. My 2012 has done this ever since I've owned it (only on cold starts in the morning). Once the engine is up to temperature (usually even before), it'll stop. Not sure of the cause, but I can tell you that's normal unless you're experiencing a crazy rattle sound.

I also get a lot of clicking and snapping sounds that sounds like plastic breaking in half coming from the steering area after driving a few minutes after a cold start. Dealer says it's "normal" lol.

Got nothing for ya for #2. Never heard of that on a GTI yet.

Hi all,

I'm sure you've had this question/questions asked a million times in different ways however I haven't come across a thread directly referencing my problem. (Mk6 GTI 2012)

Problem #1: Rattling/Vibrating at idle
This occurs only on cold starts, so generally only in the morning on my way to work. After about 5 minutes of driving, whenever I'm idle at the lights it will vibrate and sound like it's coming from the dash. It never does this problem in the afternoon. Would it be the fuel lines if it only occurs when it's cold?

Problem #2: Fuel gauge hitting empty
This only just occurred for the first time this morning. I pulled up to some lights and noticed that the fuel gauge was on empty (was full while on the motorway). When I pulled up to work and turned my car off and back on again, the fuel gauge reset and was working normally.

Obviously I'll take the car to the dealership but would like a bit of insight if anyone has had this problem before.

Thanks.

Rcosta

I thought the first problem might be normal. It vibrates at the same frequency of the engine and can't be heard when standing outside. Figured it might just be the warm-up process. Have gotten used to the sound now so it doesn't bother me as much. I also just noticed the snapping noise on the wheel this morning.

For my fuel gauge problem I'd say that it's a sending unit problem, or the sensors are stuffed (https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/vw-fuel-gauge-working). It went to zero again when I was almost home from work yesterday. And now today on my way to work it seems as though my fuel gauge isn't displaying correctly as it's saying I've only used a small amount yet I've driven to and from work 3 times (about 2.5 hours highway driving) since filling. Going to test it tonight by going for an hour drive to see how much the fuel moves.

Rcosta

No VAG scans but here's a video of when it was particularly cold and the noisiest it's ever been. Generally its 2/3 or half this loud. Tends to go quieter when I switch the AC off as well. Sometimes stops completely but rarely.

https://youtu.be/lRSOxOvuDy8

I took a video demonstrating my fuel problem as well if anyone would like to see that.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
No VAG scans but here's a video of when it was particularly cold and the noisiest it's ever been. Generally its 2/3 or half this loud. Tends to go quieter when I switch the AC off as well. Sometimes stops completely but rarely.

https://youtu.be/lRSOxOvuDy8

I took a video demonstrating my fuel problem as well if anyone would like to see that.

Mine has never sounded anywhere near that. I'm thinking it might be more of a problem w/ your AC blower/motor or something.

Rcosta

Yeah, strange that it only happens when it's cold though that's why I can't seem to find anything about it. At least it's under warranty and I have videos of the problems. I'll be sure to update once I bring it in.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I had a nasty vibration but it was due to my old exhaust. Went away once I switched it. Yours does sound like a blower rattle or something. I can't imagine they wouldn't be able to figure that one out if you leave it with them.

Rcosta

Haven't had a chance to take it into the dealership yet however just a quick update on the fuel gauge issue.

Hadn't happened again since the day it first happened, however I just refueled yesterday (And did quite a bit of driving the night I filled it up) and nothing happened. However it occurred again this morning. Seems to happen when it reaches a certain amount of fuel, but once past that threshold it goes away until I re-fill. Very strange, will hopefully have a chance to get in contact with my dealership this week.

Thanks for the replies lads.