GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$3k...

C4L

Banned
Say I have $3k to spend on some stuff for my currently stock CSG GTI DSG w/ Detroits (which I like). What do you guys think?

Suspension - $250

H&R Sport Springs - $200
8-12mm Wheel Spacers - $50 (added)

Performance - $2,000
APR Flash - $600
Carbonio Intake - $300
APR Downpipe - $600 (fixed)
S3 Intercooler - $500 (added)

Cosmetic - $550
Window Tint - $250 (35% Rear and 50% Front)
Body Color Bumper Side-marker Signals - $50
Lower Lip Spoiler - $250 (not too sure this is worth $250...)

TOTAL = $2,800.

Anything missing?

Last edited:

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
Instead of buying the APR catback exhaust I'd go with a downpipe instead. That way you can go straight to stage 2 and with the extra money you have and will save from buying a downpipe instead of catback I'd buy an intercooler. Maybe an s3 intercooler.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Could do engine mounts: VF Engineering engine and upper-transmission mount for $400 ($200 each), and a BFI or BSH torque arm insert for $35.

Alternatively, maybe a rear sway bar, which would run you $200-$300? (this'll be my next mod)

Or - perhaps a catch can setup? Forge's is real nice looking, and will eat up your left over $450 no problem :)

C4L

Banned
Instead of buying the APR catback exhaust I'd go with a downpipe instead. That way you can go straight to stage 2 and with the extra money you have and will save from buying a downpipe instead of catback I'd buy an intercooler. Maybe an s3 intercooler.

What would be the advantage of doing an aftermarket intercooler? They seem awfully expensive at $800+...

C4L

Banned
Could do engine mounts: VF Engineering engine and upper-transmission mount for $400 ($200 each), and a BFI or BSH torque arm insert for $35.

Alternatively, maybe a rear sway bar, which would run you $200-$300? (this'll be my next mod)

Or - perhaps a catch can setup? Forge's is real nice looking, and will eat up your left over $450 no problem :)

I considered a rear sway bar as well but I don't want the ride to be too stiff. I have a 65 mile daily commute and still want a decent daily driver.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Magnaflow can be had for under $500.

What color is your car? why smoked sidemarkers? :)

You don't "need" an upgraded intercooler - it is a popular mod and it is something I may do down the line, but you definitely don't need it. I was just fine at normal temps today in 95 degree weather in traffic for an hour and my car has been fine on a race track because heeeeyyyy, it's a front mount and lots of air is moving through it when you are doing 110mph :D But seriously, your list looks good!

Medussa

Ready to race!
Say I have $3k to spend on some stuff for my currently stock CSG GTI w/ Detroits (which I like). What do you guys think?

Suspension - $200
H&R Sport Springs

Performance - $1,800
APR Reflash - $600
Carbonio Intake - $300
APR Catback Exhaust - $900

Cosmetic - $550
Window Tint - $250 (35% Rear and 50% Front)
Smoked Bumper Side-marker Signals - $50
Lower Lip Spoiler - $250

TOTAL = $2,550.

What am I missing?
a hooker :thumbup:

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
What would be the advantage of doing an aftermarket intercooler? They seem awfully expensive at $800+...

They help you retain the power you will be making after getting your car reflashed. Especially now that it is summertime the after market intercooler will help prevent your car from getting heat soaked. Also why waste 900 on a catback exhaust? They add no power. Unless all you want is sound I'd spend that money elsewhere. The downpipe will give you a nice new growl an you add about 20-25hp with the stage 2 reflash which you could do right away if you buy the downpipe instead of the catback. Plus it's cheaper.

C4L

Banned
Magnaflow can be had for under $500.

What color is your car? why smoked sidemarkers? :)

Is Magnaflow decent? Could I get a Turboback Magnaflow for under $1,000? That would get me the DP, Midpipe, and Catback setup. That would be ideal. The APR Turboback is $1,500+.

My car is CSG. Body color is fine too. Just not amber and not clear.

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
I bought my s3 intercooler for $200. Pretty cheap for an intercooler. You'll have more benefits from the intercooler as opposed to the catback. Just keeping performance in mind I'm giving you my advice on that. For me personally I'm go before show. Lol

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Is Magnaflow decent? Could I get a Turboback Magnaflow for under $1,000? That would get me the DP, Midpipe, and Catback setup. That would be ideal. The APR Turboback is $1,500+.

My car is CSG. Body color is fine too. Just not amber and not clear.

You can skip the catback and just go DP.

I would get the body color sidemarkers, they really clean up the front end (check out my journal for my UG matched ones).

I bought my s3 intercooler for $200. Pretty cheap for an intercooler. You'll have more benefits from the intercooler as opposed to the catback. Just keeping performance in mind I'm giving you my advice on that. For me personally I'm go before show. Lol

A catback can maybe give 3-5whp, but its hard to say. Yes, overall, you will probably have more of an increase in any type of performance or prevention of heatsoak with the S3 IC.

Magnaflow only makes a catback.

yep.