GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom/DIY True Cold Air Intake

Thumper

Autocross Champion
yeah not too sure how much air you get from down there. sure it's not as hot... but it might not suck in as much air so it sorta cancels out

This, plus the fact that it doesn't matter WHERE you pull air from (much) if the tube it goes through is hot. The filter is outside the engine compartment, but whatever it picks up is still piped through the plastic tube next to the engine. What's the temperature of the tube after test runs?

It's a good idea, but without some way to get air to that filter, I don't think it is as effective. Dyno it, then put the stock airbox back on and dyno again, be interesting.

Personally, I plan to just cut a hole in my hood and do a true RAM scoop. :laugh:

JhnR

Banned
ionoo

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
nice but ... I wouldn't take the risk and suck up water instead, accidentally!

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
sucking up water is not that big of a reality. Like others have said, unless you're sitting in a pond, it's not very likely. How often are you driving through three feet of water? I've owned 12 cars, and the GTI is the first car i've owned a short ram intake. In honda ricer world, everyone runs CAI's. My only issue with this intake is that there are so many bends, thus disrupting the flow and chnging the velocity of the air throughout the pipe at multiple points.

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
Is there any way to log IATs without VAG com?

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
And I know they may be significant but including the bend that my intake already had, theres only one more bend I added to the intake, the one that goes through the fender and attaches to the filter

Bender1

Banned
sucking up water is not that big of a reality. Like others have said, unless you're sitting in a pond, it's not very likely. How often are you driving through three feet of water?

It doesn't take that much - a few inches (which is routine in the north east certain times of the year) and a big truck in front kicking up a wake and bam... new engine time.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
That is basically where the 2.5L Carbonio places the filter. It is still at least 12" above the ground and is protected by the belly pan. I'm not worried about hydro locking at all.