GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe questions

burnsbp

Hello all I’m new to the car scene. I have a mk6 gti 4 door MT6. I currently have a cts turbo intake and a forge blowoff. I recently just revived my down pipe and was planning on installing it today but a friend had a comcen with the downpipe sense I am untuned and have a blowoff. Just asking if you guys have any input on this as I am unsure. Thank you

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i ran a turbo back exhaust for like a week before getting tuned. No issues besides the CEL from the downpipe. Other than that it ran okay

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
i ran a turbo back exhaust for like a week before getting tuned. No issues besides the CEL from the downpipe. Other than that it ran okay

Ive tried flashing back to stock with my turbo back exhaust. It ran perfectly fine but threw o2 sensor lean codes even with spacers.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Same car, i ran dp on stage 1 didnt see any issues. Local tuner told me stay out of throttle because it might lean out..mejhhh went stage 2 pewpew

CHerna

Ready to race!
Same car, i ran dp on stage 1 didnt see any issues. Local tuner told me stay out of throttle because it might lean out..mejhhh went stage 2 pewpew

that's a myth. well, with these cars anyway.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
that's a myth. well, with these cars anyway.

Yeah the only CEL the downpipe causes is a faulty O2 Sensor/Cat Efficiency because sensor bank 2(on CCTA) or sensor bank 3(CBFA) are only there to check how efficent the CAT is cleaning the exhaust gases. When you change the DP the gases pass through the new cat(or lack there of a cat) with higher levels of "bad" gas in them which throws the code that your cat isnt working efficiently(or scrubbing the exhaust of those gases).

Sensor bank 1/2 (depending on motor) is the one that has to do with fueling and AFR which checks for how much fuel is in the exhaust gas mixture. This can provide a lean out code but only if you put a spacer on it. The only one that should ever get a space is the LAST O2 sensor furthest from the turbo the other sensors should not be touched as those can cause your car to run lean/rich.