GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NLS Short Shifter Review...

dasVW.com

Ready to race!

VWghost26

Ready to race!
Installed mine on my 2.5l golf tonight after work. Install was not too bad at all. Took a little time making room to work on it. Had to remove the battery shroud, battery and battery support. After I figured that one out it took a matter of 5 minutes to put the new shifter in. If you put the gear shift in neutral in the beginning it allows you to push the oem shifter kit down and use that distance to get some leverage to (bump) it off. Well rather using the spring action of it to help pull it up and off the spline. After the install I wasn't entirely sure that it was going into gear. Very short throw now compared to stock. I don't mind it at all but I'd be interested to see if someone develops one in the 20 - 25% throw reduction like the oem euro piece. I think that would be the perfect match of reduced throw and smoothness for shifting. ]I find it definately a little more noisy going from gear to gear (clicks in like every says) and some added effort is required. But those are side effects that I can live with for the new feel and sportiness of the shifts now. Build quality seems decent except the machined face where NLS is engraved there seems to already have some rust developing already (arrived that way). But the oem shift kit was rusting after 14,000 kms anyways. Overall a great upgrade. I don't think I'd look for a side to side shift kit as I don't want the chance of a mis-shift and its not that far side to side to begin with. Might look into the verdict and 42dd bushings down the road but I'll wait for this to break in a bit and see if I need more. Doubtful. Little wary about the torque wrench that I used to tighten it down. What would be the side effect if it was slightly too loose or too tight? I doubt it would be off by more than a pound or two. Also the shift knob sits a little higher now in gear where it does not need to travel as far and the angle is less. I notice it a bit but it will be forgotten in a day I'm positive.

VWghost26

Ready to race!
I fixed the little issue i was having and its like butter now. Feels amazing. Shifting from 1-2 is no prob.

Bushings added to the shifting mechanism will not affect vibration once so ever.

You have the GTI i think there is a different brand who makes the shifter for it similar to the NLS. Nuespeed i think...

Yeah my shifts are not feeling very buttery. What issue were you having and what was the fix? Its only been a day since its been installed but I'd assume that a shifter doesn't need to break in. But my shifts are anything but smooth.