GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
josueleon89
Drag Racing Champion
 
josueleon89's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 69
Locked up engine

I was driving off a ramp and by mistake I pressed the gas all the way to the ground and the revs went all the way to the red numbers. So when I stoped to turned the car had already cited off so I tried to started again but all it does it's a click sound. So I need some help on wether buying a used one which I got a quote and it's 2700$ or maybe just go under the carter take it off and replaced the crankshaft metals if the crankshaft it's not mess up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
josueleon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #2
Nezoid
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: F23T DSG 2010 GTI
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by josueleon89 View Post
I was driving off a ramp and by mistake I pressed the gas all the way to the ground and the revs went all the way to the red numbers. So when I stoped to turned the car had already cited off so I tried to started again but all it does it's a click sound. So I need some help on wether buying a used one which I got a quote and it's 2700$ or maybe just go under the carter take it off and replaced the crankshaft metals if the crankshaft it's not mess up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
josueleon.. really hope you get the help you need. And I'm going to try and translate as I'm sure autocorrect is a bitch.. I'm guessing you have a 6mt.. and you were coming off/on the off/on ramp, and were in to low of a gear and redlined (7000+) the engine..

I don't have a standard GTI(you could have a dsg) so I can't compare.. but I'm guessing if the 6mt doesn't have overrev protections.. you could have toasted the motor..

Now after that.. I'm at a loss. What are you trying to figure out if buying what? You got quoted $2700.. for what? engine replacement? transmission replacement? Crankshaft "metals" replacement?

With the symptoms you've stated.. it could be a dead battery.. but giving the circumstances I doubt that is your issue.
I know you're in a crappy situation.. but the more information you give the forums.. the more they can help... Sounds.. Pictures.. anything... Provide a picture of the quote being done on your car.. anything. I'm sure there are plenty of people wanting to help..

Just try not to let autocorrect type your post, because it is difficult to read.. Either way GL.. Hope it isn't serious..
__________________

Last edited by Nezoid; 07-20-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Nezoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
josueleon89
Drag Racing Champion
 
josueleon89's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezoid View Post
josueleon.. really hope you get the help you need. And I'm going to try and translate as I'm sure autocorrect is a bitch.. I'm guessing you have a 6mt.. and you were coming off/on the off/on ramp, and were in to low of a gear and redlined (7000+) the engine..

I don't have a standard GTI(you could have a dsg) so I can't compare.. but I'm guessing if the 6mt doesn't have overrev protections.. you could have toasted the motor..

Now after that.. I'm at a loss. What are you trying to figure out if buying what? You got quoted $2700.. for what? engine replacement? transmission replacement? Crankshaft "metals" replacement?

With the symptoms you've stated.. it could be a dead battery.. but giving the circumstances I doubt that is your issue.
I know you're in a crappy situation.. but the more information you give the forums.. the more they can help... Sounds.. Pictures.. anything... Provide a picture of the quote being done on your car.. anything. I'm sure there are plenty of people wanting to help..

Just try not to let autocorrect type your post, because it is difficult to read.. Either way GL.. Hope it isn't serious..


Ok I'll try again lol, before my car was on the off ramp I had set it on neutral, so I was on my phone distracted and floor it by mistake, as i was on the off ramp, when I got at the end of the ramp the car had cut off so I try to turn it on and all I could hear it's a clicking sound every time I try to crank it. 2700$ it's the price of the used hunk engine I will post some pictures


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
josueleon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver
 
damagi123's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,449
your post is a mess so its hard to tell whats what but the manual has a fuel cutoff at 6800 or 7k I think if its tuned. You cant have over revved once and blown the motor unless theres something else going on here. Did you keep it at redline for 20 minutes straight? Are you tuned? Disabled rev lmiter? were you having timing problems and or was there oil in it lol? we want more deets here


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezoid View Post
..
lol i love the idea of an all ebay GTI great job
__________________
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
josueleon89
Drag Racing Champion
 
josueleon89's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
your post is a mess so its hard to tell whats what but the manual has a fuel cutoff at 6800 or 7k I think if its tuned. You cant have over revved once and blown the motor unless theres something else going on here. Did you keep it at redline for 20 minutes straight? Are you tuned? Disabled rev lmiter? were you having timing problems and or was there oil in it lol? we want more deets here



lol i love the idea of an all ebay GTI great job


The engine had oil, always check it every month. I went all thru the red line for about 3 to 7 seconds. And after that, the engine cut off. My engine it's stock. I have not touched the rev limiter. See if my car was just sitting at the house iddiling and I would floor it by mistake it will only go to probably 3500 rpms or so. It will not go all the way to the red line. But if I was on the highway and set it on neutral and floor it it would of go all the way to the red line


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
josueleon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
thatspsychotic
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
thatspsychotic's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 GTI 4DR DSG, '14 Forester XT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western MA
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by josueleon89 View Post
The engine had oil, always check it every month.
Being as little as 1 quart low caused my low oil emergency warning to beep at me during hard turns in an autocross run. I wouldn't rule out high-RPM oil starvation if you were going around a corner on an offramp. If that's the case the motor is toast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josueleon89 View Post
I went all thru the red line for about 3 to 7 seconds.
First, do you mean all the way through redline as in showing 8k RPM? How did you keep your foot on the gas for that long without noticing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josueleon89 View Post
And after that, the engine cut off. My engine it's stock. I have not touched the rev limiter.
If you haven't touched the rev limiter, it should never exceed 6800 or 7100 RPM depending on the factory rev limiter. If you saw something beyond that, the only way it could get there is if you money-shifted into too low of a gear and just haven't told us that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josueleon89 View Post
See if my car was just sitting at the house iddiling and I would floor it by mistake it will only go to probably 3500 rpms or so. It will not go all the way to the red line. But if I was on the highway and set it on neutral and floor it it would of go all the way to the red line
That's the factory ECU doing its job. No rev limiter will prevent the revs from going to the moon if you downshift into an inappropriately low gear. Honestly, that's the only thing that would make any sense at all here, but you haven't volunteered that story yet.
__________________
Present: APR Stage 1+ v2.4 | APR Carbonio | R8 Coils | GFB DV+ | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport Deadset | SuperPro Offset LCA Bushings | Enkei Raijin Gunmetal 18x8 et45 | Michelin PSS 245/35R18 | NewSouth Perf. Mech Boost Gauge

Future: ST Coilovers | H&R 26/22mm Swaybars | APR/ECS Catch Can
thatspsychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
thatspsychotic
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
thatspsychotic's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 GTI 4DR DSG, '14 Forester XT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western MA
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by josueleon89 View Post
I was driving off a ramp and by mistake I pressed the gas all the way to the ground and the revs went all the way to the red numbers. So when I stoped to turned the car had already cited off so I tried to started again but all it does it's a click sound. So I need some help on wether buying a used one which I got a quote and it's 2700$ or maybe just go under the carter take it off and replaced the crankshaft metals if the crankshaft it's not mess up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You may want to try again with language that is more clear and detailed.

Take the thing to a mechanic. Could be something as simple as a coincidental starter failure, but if you were driving really fast around the corner and also redlined it, there's a chance that it got oil starved from the hard cornering and could have burned all the bearings even if the revs were limited to 6800 RPM by the rev limiter.
__________________
Present: APR Stage 1+ v2.4 | APR Carbonio | R8 Coils | GFB DV+ | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport Deadset | SuperPro Offset LCA Bushings | Enkei Raijin Gunmetal 18x8 et45 | Michelin PSS 245/35R18 | NewSouth Perf. Mech Boost Gauge

Future: ST Coilovers | H&R 26/22mm Swaybars | APR/ECS Catch Can
thatspsychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #8
josueleon89
Drag Racing Champion
 
josueleon89's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 69
Yes I did had it around 7k revs for about 4 secs, and a trying to avoid taking it to the shop unless it's the dealer but now I know it is the engine cause I took off the belt and try to give it a few turns to the main pulley and it wi not go any where. Am pretty sure the bearing are melt it to the shaft


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
josueleon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #9
josueleon89
Drag Racing Champion
 
josueleon89's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 69
I just can't believe that VW engines are so delicate, I had a Nissan 95 Altima and had rev. It almost to the max a few times and never gave a problem.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
josueleon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #10
josueleon89
Drag Racing Champion
 
josueleon89's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 69
The cheapest engine price I found it's 2700$ !!!!! Why am never buying VW ever again. Das auto !!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
josueleon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #11
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion
 
FocalPoint's Avatar
 
Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 4,661
That's reasonably priced, considering this issue is a direct result of your actions.
__________________
FocalPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #12
c72k
FIA GT Champion
 
Drives: Mk5 GTI Fahrenheit
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPoint View Post
That's reasonably priced, considering this issue is a direct result of your actions.
This. Plus, it would help if the OP could compose a response better than first grade level.
c72k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #13
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 09 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 479
A modern engine toasted after only 4 seconds of redlining it? Did it have no oil? I feel like there must be another issue.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #14
josueleon89
Drag Racing Champion
 
josueleon89's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
A modern engine toasted after only 4 seconds of redlining it? Did it have no oil? I feel like there must be another issue.


It sound weird and odd but it happens.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
josueleon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.