GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally happened... sagging headliner on my 2011 GTI.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Solution seems simply.

Don't live in Florida. :D

That does seriously suck, if they don't handle it (or next time it happens) I can't imagine it's that awful expensive to fix. It's less than 4 hours to replace the entire thing and it doesn't need to be replaced most likely, just re-adhesived up. What's body shop labor rate down there? $70? $250-300....yeah, not cheap but if you do get stuck with the bill, better than thousands.

Uberryan

Banned
The headliner on my dads crown vic with 335k miles is in better shape :(

My dad has a 1975 dodge charger sitting in his driveway, under a car cover of course, but has the original interior and headliner still in place. No droops or sags anywhere. He lives a total of 90 miles SOUTH (so hotter and more moist) of me. I made sure I told VW this as a near 40 year old car has held up in the Florida heat better than their 3 year old "superior interior" quality GTI tiers.

stop whining and just replace dat shit wit gucci or lv print

No fuq u quid.

Solution seems simply.

Don't live in Florida. :D

That does seriously suck, if they don't handle it (or next time it happens) I can't imagine it's that awful expensive to fix. It's less than 4 hours to replace the entire thing and it doesn't need to be replaced most likely, just re-adhesived up. What's body shop labor rate down there? $70? $250-300....yeah, not cheap but if you do get stuck with the bill, better than thousands.

I know of a few shops nearby, but I'd just go for the stock material. The entire headliner had to be dropped in my MKV when replaced because the material apparently stretches out. If they can make it look new and just re-glue it, fine, but they might wanna drop and re-glue the entire thing because I'll be back at their door if it happens in a different spot later on.

nevekd128

Ready to race!
I've had a few VWs in the past. A 2002 Jetta, a 2007 GTI, and now my 2011 GTI and all three have always had this problem prematurely happen. The GTI and Jetta both occurred after 3+ years of ownership, but I literally just paid off this car in full, and purchased the title for it after barely 3 years of leasing it and this happens. I'm 25 days outside of my bumper to bumper warranty and of course this just has to happen. I've contacted VWOA prior to visiting a dealer, because this is obviously going to be a continuing problem through all the generations. Considering mileage is below 24.5K and I'm not too far outside of the bumper to bumper, I'm hoping they'll cover it. I can't believe that they still use the same cheap ass glue or whatever they're using in production. Such garbage. I could see if the car was 5+ years old, but c'mon!

dAT humidity

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Is this an easy DIY or something you have to do at a shop? How much does it cost to fix? My cousins 2002 Jetta has this issue..

Dfg0858

Passed Driver's Ed
Is this an easy DIY or something you have to do at a shop? How much does it cost to fix? My cousins 2002 Jetta has this issue..

Gf just took her mk5 jetta to get done about 2 months ago. They charged her $125 I believe and knocked it out in a day. I'm sure there's some DIY instructions out there on how to do it.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Gf just took her mk5 jetta to get done about 2 months ago. They charged her $125 I believe and knocked it out in a day. I'm sure there's some DIY instructions out there on how to do it.

Saw a DIY. Looks like you have to basically remove the A pillars and unbolt it. Remove all air bag clips and unbolt. Then unclip the edges, and it should come down and out through the trunk.

Then you apply adhesive (liberally) and reapply. Seem's straight forward and a pain in the butt, but doable.

spiker369

on air, don't care
Ft.Lauderdale huh? Why haven't you come to our meet yet then? :D
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63165

lol. But I recently installed interior LED's on another local's car that he recently bought preowned. 2010, and his is sagging in the same place, he's also got sagging around the front dome lights. Pretty much anywhere where the headliner has a cut or opening. Surprisingly he didn't know about it until I pointed it out.
He has a csg gti so maybe it has to do with the darker colored cars? :s

Uberryan

Banned
Ft.Lauderdale huh? Why haven't you come to our meet yet then? :D
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63165

lol. But I recently installed interior LED's on another local's car that he recently bought preowned. 2010, and his is sagging in the same place, he's also got sagging around the front dome lights. Pretty much anywhere where the headliner has a cut or opening. Surprisingly he didn't know about it until I pointed it out.
He has a csg gti so maybe it has to do with the darker colored cars? :s

Is this the same meet that used to hang out behind the Fort Lauderdale Ale House on Tuesday nights? If so, I used to go there all the time, and was around when it was a SFLMKV meet up.

And I think heat is a factor for sure. Humidity likely as well, which only adds to the heat index. Dark cars absorb heat as opposed to reflecting it. My MKV was black magic pearl, so this theory does fit the bill, but my MKIV was silver, so I dunno?

spiker369

on air, don't care
Is this the same meet that used to hang out behind the Fort Lauderdale Ale House on Tuesday nights? If so, I used to go there all the time, and was around when it was a SFLMKV meet up.

And I think heat is a factor for sure. Humidity likely as well, which only adds to the heat index. Dark cars absorb heat as opposed to reflecting it. My MKV was black magic pearl, so this theory does fit the bill, but my MKIV was silver, so I dunno?

So sir. I know what meet you're talking about, ours started last summer as just mk6's but has grown a little.

Hmm weird, maybe vw just can't get the upholstery thing down. :iono: my girlfriends beetle, 2006, has the door card leather falling apart too.

mcgti6

Ready to race!
diy took me and a friend who is experienced with re-doin mk4 headliners. but u hafta take off or at least unclip all the plastic trim on sides (order a buncha those airbag tabs that insert into the trim because they will all snap coming out. mk4 b pillar tabs are the exact same if u go to a junkyard instead of ordering em), remove visors, handles, and disconnect all the lighting. pulling the panel from the trunk = no problem. but, putting it back in, u hafta be very careful not to scrape it on all the plastic trim, unless u fully remove it. i jus unclipped it halfway and let it hang, lookin back tho i shouldve jus removed it completely. will take an hour or so to remove the panel.

overall took us like 6 hrs cuz we kept running into lil issues with plastic clips n whatnot. hadda get a new passenger side a pillar cuz the plastic vent was so brittle it broke when removing the pillar. so beware if ur car has been out in the sun for yrs.

did mine with like a sorta alcanterra type material, color black. looks nicer than oem i think but not to extreme to standout if i sell later.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Wow, I have never seen this on a modern vehicle, <10 years old.
Only VW would have this problem and not bother fixing it even though it was known on the mk4 and mk5 cars. Pathetic. For all the vehicle testing VW does in Florida, they sure can't seem to design a car to hold up to this weather...

diy took me and a friend who is experienced with re-doin mk4 headliners. but u hafta take off or at least unclip all the plastic trim on sides (order a buncha those airbag tabs that insert into the trim because they will all snap coming out. mk4 b pillar tabs are the exact same if u go to a junkyard instead of ordering em), remove visors, handles, and disconnect all the lighting. pulling the panel from the trunk = no problem. but, putting it back in, u hafta be very careful not to scrape it on all the plastic trim, unless u fully remove it. i jus unclipped it halfway and let it hang, lookin back tho i shouldve jus removed it completely. will take an hour or so to remove the panel.

overall took us like 6 hrs cuz we kept running into lil issues with plastic clips n whatnot. hadda get a new passenger side a pillar cuz the plastic vent was so brittle it broke when removing the pillar. so beware if ur car has been out in the sun for yrs.

did mine with like a sorta alcanterra type material, color black. looks nicer than oem i think but not to extreme to standout if i sell later.

I didn't realize yours started sagging. Almost every mkv owner in the area has had theirs begin to sag. Actually now that I noticed, most have been dark colored cars with the issue, with a TR MK6 in the mix...