GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reservations to Buying a Relatively Higher Mileage R?

munkey

Ready to race!
There is one for sale around me, a 2013, that has 40k miles on it (in service date of September 2012, so 20k per year).

It has the sunroof and nav, and I'm considering buying it. The problem is I feel they are asking too much money. I was very close to buying one with 17k miles on it for just over 29k++, but someone swept it and bought it from under me.

So I am thinking of getting this one now, but the asking price is 29k (asking price of the low mileage one was 30,500, and it had 2 years left on B2B warranty).

Should I consider this Golf R or is the mileage too high and I should wait for something better? It is the color and options that I want.

If I do consider it, what price should I offer?

Bfreiman

lalalalalalalalalalalala
I'm sure the car is fine at that mileage. Not sure what you should pay, but definitely a bit less than 29k

munkey

Ready to race!
As a post script, I will be selling my s2k to get into this R. I have dd-ed the s2000 for the past 2.5 years and I know I will miss it sometimes, but overall I am hoping the R is fun enough that I'll only miss it on those perfect days where you just put the top down and cruise.

But a kid is on the way so I want a car that is more responsible w/a backseat (but still fun).

How much is reasonable? I want to low ball at 25-26, but I don't know if that's out of line. That is honestly the price I want to pay to feel comfortable with it given it has 23k miles more than the one I almost bought for 29k.

They said they do have extended warranties available but I don't know if that's worth it.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
New ones were selling for 32k (after discounts)... a 2 model year old car with 40k miles for 29k... why would you do that? Wait for the new one..

munkey

Ready to race!
New ones were selling for 32k (after discounts)... a 2 model year old car with 40k miles for 29k... why would you do that? Wait for the new one..

I agree....the 2013 with 17k was virtually new, with 2 years left on the B2B warranty, nav +sunroof. So at 29k it made sense.

I would never pay 29k for this one. I'm trying to see what a reasonable price is.

The new one would have to be stick and I can't wait for those to come out (rumor is they won't be out until next summer at the earliest; dsg is out Q1/maybe Q2 next year).

Split second

I just bought a 13 R with 5800 miles for 29,500 after I beat the dealer up for a few weeks.. Hold out and something will come along.. Maybe go on autotrader and be willing to make a drive..

munkey

Ready to race!
I just bought a 13 R with 5800 miles for 29,500 after I beat the dealer up for a few weeks.. Hold out and something will come along.. Maybe go on autotrader and be willing to make a drive..

yeah for now I decided against getting that one unless it's closer to $25k.

There is one that just popped up near me with 11k miles on it; hopefully the dealer is willing to play ball though since it just go traded in they might try to gouge initially. 29,500 would be a fair price.

It has LED tails + exhaust + who knows what else (I haven't seen it yet) so that is a bonus and a negative - bonus bc it saves me that money, but negative bc I don't know how the car was treated and how the cam follower and, especially the clutch, are.

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Personally, I would not pay anything more than 26k for the R with 40k on the clock. People were buying 2013 golf R's for $29,000 with only a few thousand miles. A dealer around me wanted 28,800 for a fully loaded golf R two door with only 3,000 miles just to give you a feel for what you should be looking to pay.

munkey

Ready to race!
Personally, I would not pay anything more than 26k for the R with 40k on the clock. People were buying 2013 golf R's for $29,000 with only a few thousand miles. A dealer around me wanted 28,800 for a fully loaded golf R two door with only 3,000 miles just to give you a feel for what you should be looking to pay.

Thanks for the info - and I agree. If I decide to pursue it, I will offer 25k. It has been on their lot for some time so if they want to move it, they will. I'd go up to a max of 26k but there are other options and I would pay several thousand more for lower miles.

Ssalg

I purchases a 2012 with 31 k. Still had orig. warranty and an added 24k mi/ 2 yrs.

2 door. Sun roof. Nav. VW Certified.

$25 k - this was in June from a dealer.

Hope that helps in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

munkey

Ready to race!
I purchases a 2012 with 31 k. Still had orig. warranty and an added 24k mi/ 2 yrs.

2 door. Sun roof. Nav. VW Certified.

$25 k - this was in June from a dealer.

Hope that helps in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that is a great price! Actually I posted in another thread - I bought a different R :) One with just 10k miles on it.

JetTurbo

geezer

I paid 27K at CarMax for an excellent condition 42K mi 2-dr w/ sunroof/nav in March of this year. plan to replace it next year with a mk7 R.

If the car is stock, with scheduled maintenance, it should easily do over 200 K miles. Heck, my mk5 FSI was at 230 K when I traded for this car, old one was still running well, original clutch still working well. That said it was in need of a lot of scheduled maintenance. Rather than dump more money in the old car, bought the used R to hold me over until mk7s arrive.

If you can live with the price premium, go for it.

07STitoR

Ready to race!
I paid 27K at CarMax for an excellent condition 42K mi 2-dr w/ sunroof/nav in March of this year. plan to replace it next year with a mk7 R.

If the car is stock, with scheduled maintenance, it should easily do over 200 K miles. Heck, my mk5 FSI was at 230 K when I traded for this car, old one was still running well, original clutch still working well. That said it was in need of a lot of scheduled maintenance. Rather than dump more money in the old car, bought the used R to hold me over until mk7s arrive.

If you can live with the price premium, go for it.

To the OP yes that R is way over priced I paid $33,050 NEW with 11 miles on it before tax (MSRP $37,075).
Off topic but since our R's have the same motor as your old MK5 GTI when did you do the timing belt and head cleaning? I've read so many posts that you shouldn't wait till 100k to do the belt and that 80 is the farthest you can push the belt.

Last edited:

razr390

Go Kart Champion
yeah for now I decided against getting that one unless it's closer to $25k.

There is one that just popped up near me with 11k miles on it; hopefully the dealer is willing to play ball though since it just go traded in they might try to gouge initially. 29,500 would be a fair price.

It has LED tails + exhaust + who knows what else (I haven't seen it yet) so that is a bonus and a negative - bonus bc it saves me that money, but negative bc I don't know how the car was treated and how the cam follower and, especially the clutch, are.

Get a new GTI and trade it in for an R if you really need (not when the R gets introduced, maybe a year or two after that, when the market price is driven down).

29k for 40k miles is unjustifiable in my opinion.

The one with the mods, is also a bonus because the mods drive down 'value' for resale. Just go in there and tell them that you want a stock one but if the price is right you might. You're prob going to sell the mods or whatever yada yada (even though you're excited for them)