GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's talk reliability

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Based on reliability ratings... vw is low, BMW is low, Audi is low (not all models of course) etc. If you look at highest and lowest rating our cars aren't up there too high.

I understand that, and I'm saying that I believe it's at least partially due to the owners. When I replace an alternator in my garage it doesn't get documented, when Sally hears a "strange noise" she goes to the dealer and has it repaired. It costs her a pretty penny and she makes her dissatisfaction know. Volkswagens are bought by a lot of Sallys. I'm not saying that these cars are as reliable as many of the Japanese cars, but I suspect a lot of the numbers are inflated and that the difference between a VW and a Honda might not be as big as it seems.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Define "high failure rate". What leads to a high failure rate? Generally when you talk about German cars and them being unreliable time after time i see one constant, and that is the failure to properly maintain and service the car. German cars have to be maintained regularly and with quality parts. A relative of mine has a repair facility and you would be surprised the amount of people who bring in their BMW/Mercedes/Audi's with parts they bought online because they found a great deal. Well, sorry to break it to you the $40 china water pump you bought instead of the $180 OE/OEM pump won't last long.

So....you're trying to tell me the superior quality water pumps found at your local VW dealership is failure proof? LOL....Not sure what you've been taking/smoking but get real.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
So....you're trying to tell me the superior quality water pumps found at your local VW dealership is failure proof? LOL....Not sure what you've been taking/smoking but get real.

No need to be nasty. A lot of repeat failures of the VW water pumps have been to improper install by the monkeys at the stealership. I’ve seen it.

Sachz71

I just crossed 130,000 miles today and here is a brief overview:

Issues

- Waterpump (pre-recall) at 45k miles (warranty)

- Waterpump (recall) at 85k miles (warranty)

- HPFP at 42k miles (warranty)

Issues of My Own Doing

- Front Sway Bar End Link at 80k because of pothole

- Rear Wheel Bearing at 85k due to driving on bent wheel for about 50 miles

My GTI has been exponentially more reliable than my '03 Honda Element and it all comes down to the quality of parts used by VW versus Honda. The VW has little suspension rust at 130k driving in NYC and Upstate NY compared to the Honda which was complete trash past 100k miles. I believe VWs can be hit or miss depending on when certain parts have been updated, for example, the timing tensioner issue and intake manifold issue.

However, I do believe proper maintenance and proper driving goes a long way. Meaning, not driving off upon startup and letting the revs drop to idle first...keeping the revs below 2.5k or 3k until the oil is fully warm...using a 0w-40 oil in winter/summer...changing oil at 5k max compared to 10k intervals...DSG service every 35k-40k max.

I only had the radiator fan and the manifold change ( warranty) 35000 miles .
Carbon built up cleaning I thing is part of the maintenance of this cars
I am on the second manifold now this is cause when the Dealer installed the replacement they installed the old manifold type not the revised .
Water pump
Injectors tent to fail too
Coils.
5k oil change is better

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
No need to be nasty. A lot of repeat failures of the VW water pumps have been to improper install by the monkeys at the stealership. I’ve seen it.

Not being nasty, just stating what I've experienced.

I will have to agree with you about those monkeys at the stealership though... :lol:

Dans GTI

Ready to race!

Where did i say they are failure proof.

Last edited:

Mudkicker

Ready to race!
2011 GTI comfortable and fun to drive. Too many issues for me... Intake manifold, carbon build up, radio died, slave cylinder, RUST!!!
Next car will be a Toyota or Lexus.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
German cars are meant to be properly maintained and this, historically, has been something outside the scope of the average American.

Most Americans want a reliable car that they dont have to do a DAMN thing to for 10 years. Think early 00s, late 90s Honda or present day Toyota. You can literally forget to change the oil on those cars for 20k miles and you would barely notice the difference. As a previous commenter said... the second something goes wrong its not the owners fault at all... its the manufacturer of course!

I lived in Germany for years and learned a thing or two about how much respect they have for driving. Its not like you go take an easy test and then hop in a car for 30 minutes and then they sign you off... you go to whats called a "fahrschule" or driving school. You start on a manual... you drive day, night, rain, snow. The TUV inspection doesnt focus as much on emissions as they do shocks, brakes and tires. In Germany you HAVE to run Winter tires or Snow qualified A/S between OCT-APR.

They just have more respect for cars... Americans just want their cake and to eat it too

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
German cars are meant to be properly maintained and this, historically, has been something outside the scope of the average American.

Most Americans want a reliable car that they dont have to do a DAMN thing to for 10 years. Think early 00s, late 90s Honda or present day Toyota. You can literally forget to change the oil on those cars for 20k miles and you would barely notice the difference. As a previous commenter said... the second something goes wrong its not the owners fault at all... its the manufacturer of course!

I lived in Germany for years and learned a thing or two about how much respect they have for driving. Its not like you go take an easy test and then hop in a car for 30 minutes and then they sign you off... you go to whats called a "fahrschule" or driving school. You start on a manual... you drive day, night, rain, snow. The TUV inspection doesnt focus as much on emissions as they do shocks, brakes and tires. In Germany you HAVE to run Winter tires or Snow qualified A/S between OCT-APR.

They just have more respect for cars... Americans just want their cake and to eat it too

That's true, and a fair point, but I would say most of us here are car guys/girls? and pay pretty good attention to maintaining our cars. I don't like going passed 4k on oil changes... with rotella T6, I could easily do 7 or more, but it's cheap enough to change at 3-4 k. Brakes? I'm close to 50k and the stickers are fine, but I'd like to take it all apart, see how it's wearing, clean everything and put my stoptechs on. Tires I replaced pretty early at about 30 ish? With a UHP A/S, trans was done at 35 instead of 40k etc etc.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
That's true, and a fair point, but I would say most of us here are car guys/girls? and pay pretty good attention to maintaining our cars. I don't like going passed 4k on oil changes... with rotella T6, I could easily do 7 or more, but it's cheap enough to change at 3-4 k. Brakes? I'm close to 50k and the stickers are fine, but I'd like to take it all apart, see how it's wearing, clean everything and put my stoptechs on. Tires I replaced pretty early at about 30 ish? With a UHP A/S, trans was done at 35 instead of 40k etc etc.

I think thats exactly the difference with people on here vs "average consumer." Most of us are either willing to do the work/maintenance or pay to have it done right.

You know how many people i know who have automatics that cannot tell me when or if they have ever had the fluid changed?! its absurd.

I tuned my car at 1200 miles; have every bolt on available including a new turbo; spray water meth and track her about 4 times a year. I have had two failures:

-Clutch for very predictable and obvious reasons of adding double the torque

-Intake manifold that failed at 60k and was covered under warrenty.

These cars are excellent if you care for them

zrickety

The Fixer
Intake manifold under warranty by the previous owner, a small leak in the radiator replaced by me. 144k miles now, K04 most of it, driven hard, never carbon cleaned, runs great. Mechanically, this has been the most reliable car I've owned out 10 of them.

Pre95

Passed Driver's Ed
I think one big key thing no one has touched on thus far is vehicles ARE ENGINEERED TO FAIL within a "reasonable" amount of time. This "reasonable" lifespan has gotten shorter over the years...

Auto manufacturers didn't look at failure rates as a new car sales figure to bank on thanks to all of these great analytical economic advisers we have nowadays.. you know, the kinds that came up with "dead peasant insurance" policies on their employees.

At the end of the day, you can tell from a mile away that newer vehicles are NOT built for a 10+ year ownership. Plastic molded key components such as entire intake manifolds, rotating assemblies and making everything a single bundled part number. If that doesn't worry you, the fact that they have chosen to omit gaskets and simply glue half of the engine together should be another red flag that it's probably not the type of engineering that was thought for longevity or the ability to easily maintain. Why though?

Used cars. For years the used car market has driven CONSIDERABLY more sales then new vehicles on car lots, and it still does today but for how long? Think of it from a manufacturers perspective, right now the models you sold 5-10 years ago are outselling your new stuff... What if we just make it so in 5-10 years our old stuff won't be such a contender?

My .02

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I think one big key thing no one has touched on thus far is vehicles ARE ENGINEERED TO FAIL within a "reasonable" amount of time. This "reasonable" lifespan has gotten shorter over the years...

Auto manufacturers didn't look at failure rates as a new car sales figure to bank on thanks to all of these great analytical economic advisers we have nowadays.. you know, the kinds that came up with "dead peasant insurance" policies on their employees.

At the end of the day, you can tell from a mile away that newer vehicles are NOT built for a 10+ year ownership. Plastic molded key components such as entire intake manifolds, rotating assemblies and making everything a single bundled part number. If that doesn't worry you, the fact that they have chosen to omit gaskets and simply glue half of the engine together should be another red flag that it's probably not the type of engineering that was thought for longevity or the ability to easily maintain. Why though?

Used cars. For years the used car market has driven CONSIDERABLY more sales then new vehicles on car lots, and it still does today but for how long? Think of it from a manufacturers perspective, right now the models you sold 5-10 years ago are outselling your new stuff... What if we just make it so in 5-10 years our old stuff won't be such a contender?

My .02

That's an interesting take on it, what you see as being engineered to fail i personally see as being engineered to be more efficient. Just because for the past 30+ years cars have been made with aluminum components such as water pumps and intake manifolds there is no reason why they can't be made from plastic. Technology changes, and parts are re-engineered to be more efficient.
Thats why we are starting to see 400hp 4 cylinder engines now that get 30mpg. I do agree though that while cars become more efficient they do become more complex and basic maintenance will become harder and harder.