GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: TSI Valve Cleaning in detail (Get Rid of That Carbon!)

redjet1

Passed Driver's Ed
What does the idle speed show on the tachometer? When you took off the intake manifold, did all of the injectors stay in the head? Or did they come out with the manifold?

I think the car is back to normal... man my mpg has been amazing these last few days...

Probably the car needed to readjust everything after the battery disconnect....

And yes, when I removed the manifold, all the injectors came out with it LOL... But so far don't smell gas nor see any leaks... Will probably change the injector O rings in another 20k miles when I get inside to clean the valves again.

Cheers! and thanks for all the help!

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
How much effort was it to get the intake manifold removed? I've read the DIY over a couple times, but don't have a clear picture of it in my head. I'm going to do the valve cleaning in a couple weekends, and am right at 60k miles now. Since I'm still struggling to diagnose my fluctuating idle during warm-up, I'm wondering if my intake manifold may just be a ticking time bomb at this point. Since a new one is only $150, I'm inclined to just replace it - and since I'm doing the valve cleaning anyway, I feel like I should just pick one up and do it then... but if it's really simple to remove the intake manifold again later, I'll hold off and see how just the valve cleaning does.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
I think the car is back to normal... man my mpg has been amazing these last few days...

Probably the car needed to readjust everything after the battery disconnect....

And yes, when I removed the manifold, all the injectors came out with it LOL... But so far don't smell gas nor see any leaks... Will probably change the injector O rings in another 20k miles when I get inside to clean the valves again.

Cheers! and thanks for all the help!

Haha yeah, if you had a faulty injector your fuel economy will now seem godly compared to before.

Good to know your car is back to normal - same thing happenes with my o2 sensors. It just needed some miles to burn off the crap on thw m from the cleaning and re-adjust.

If you don't have any misfires, your idle is good, your WOT runs are still at full power, and you are getting good mpg, then odds are your injector seals are good to go :thumbup:

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
How much effort was it to get the intake manifold removed? I've read the DIY over a couple times, but don't have a clear picture of it in my head. I'm going to do the valve cleaning in a couple weekends, and am right at 60k miles now. Since I'm still struggling to diagnose my fluctuating idle during warm-up, I'm wondering if my intake manifold may just be a ticking time bomb at this point. Since a new one is only $150, I'm inclined to just replace it - and since I'm doing the valve cleaning anyway, I feel like I should just pick one up and do it then... but if it's really simple to remove the intake manifold again later, I'll hold off and see how just the valve cleaning does.

Well, it took me 3 hours to get the manifold off, and ~ 2.5 to get everything back together. It is a pain in the ass getting the throttle body off, and the fuel injector wiring requires baby hands to unplug. You be the judge, but if it was me, I would just replace it then and not have to worry about it failing in the future either, since that is a common thing to go out with our tsi's anyways.

Put it this way - this is not a simple enough thing to just do when it fails on a moments notice - with this repair/cleaning, you need to plan it out ahead of time that your car will be down for a day at least. If the intake manifold were to crap out on you while on a commute to work or on vacation, you would be severely kicking yourself that you didnt just replace it then.

Last edited:

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Well, it took me 3 hours to get the manifold off, and ~ 2.5 to get everything back together. It is a pain in the ass getting the throttle body off, and the fuel injector wiring requires baby hands to unplug. You be the judge, but if it was me, I would just replace it then and not have to worry about it failing in the future either, since that is a common thing to go out with our tsi's anyways.

Put it this way - this is not a simple enough thing to just do when it fails on a moments notice - with this repair/cleaning, you need to plan it out ahead of time that your car will be down for a day at least. If the intake manifold were to crap out on you while on a commute to work or on vacation, you would be seveeely kicking yourself that you didnt just replace it then.

Haha - that's what I needed to know. Just ordered a replacement manifold.

redjet1

Passed Driver's Ed
Haha yeah, if you had a faulty injector your fuel economy will now seem godly compared to before.

Good to know your car is back to normal - same thing happenes with my o2 sensors. It just needed some miles to burn off the crap on thw m from the cleaning and re-adjust.

If you don't have any misfires, your idle is good, your WOT runs are still at full power, and you are getting good mpg, then odds are your injector seals are good to go :thumbup:

Tommygun! I'm not gone yet ! LOL

Last night just for the heck of it, I borrowed my friends vag com cable... and I realized that my car has misfire on all cylinders!!! random misfire but it happens when there is not much load on the throttle... arghh..... at full wot, it doesn't misfire. Just misfires randomly on all cylinders when cruising.

So today, I installed back the red R8 coils I had in storage... car idle is perfect I mean it seems like the engine is off! runs smooth, power is great and the great mileage hasn't changed... however still misfire.. will give it a few miles and see if anything adjusts...

Just might have to change the seals on all of them injectors eh? :thumbdown:

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Tommygun! I'm not gone yet ! LOL

Last night just for the heck of it, I borrowed my friends vag com cable... and I realized that my car has misfire on all cylinders!!! random misfire but it happens when there is not much load on the throttle... arghh..... at full wot, it doesn't misfire. Just misfires randomly on all cylinders when cruising.

So today, I installed back the red R8 coils I had in storage... car idle is perfect I mean it seems like the engine is off! runs smooth, power is great and the great mileage hasn't changed... however still misfire.. will give it a few miles and see if anything adjusts...

Just might have to change the seals on all of them injectors eh? :thumbdown:

Hmmm.. so did you clear all of the misfire codes after you instaled the r8s but the misfire codes came back?

Can you notice the misfiring? Does the car shudder at all when it idles cold?

A few things for you to try before you rip the manifold back off:

-Lightly tap on coil packs w/ rubber mallet to ensure threy are seated correctly.
-change one spark plug and see if that cyl's misfires go away
-check for boost leaks on the throttle body piping
-buy a decent injector cleaner, add it on your next fill up, and drive it normally to see if that gets any gunk out of your injectors/fuel rail (unlikely to help, but maybe)

Again, make sure your not getting a false reading by looking at old stored misfire codes. Clear everything then take another look.

Can you post your Vagcom results here? I mean a full scan too, not just the engine portion

redjet1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmmm.. so did you clear all of the misfire codes after you instaled the r8s but the misfire codes came back?

Can you notice the misfiring? Does the car shudder at all when it idles cold?

A few things for you to try before you rip the manifold back off:

-Lightly tap on coil packs w/ rubber mallet to ensure threy are seated correctly.
-change one spark plug and see if that cyl's misfires go away
-check for boost leaks on the throttle body piping
-buy a decent injector cleaner, add it on your next fill up, and drive it normally to see if that gets any gunk out of your injectors/fuel rail (unlikely to help, but maybe)

Again, make sure your not getting a false reading by looking at old stored misfire codes. Clear everything then take another look.

Can you post your Vagcom results here? I mean a full scan too, not just the engine portion

The misfires are only shown when logging on vag com. logging 014/015/016

I don't get any cel or epc.

When cold, car vibrates like when you run the A/C on. Nothing Major. but once it warms up, it drives like a champ...

Just concerned that Vag com logs shows random misfires on all cylinders...

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
The misfires are only shown when logging on vag com. logging 014/015/016

I don't get any cel or epc.

When cold, car vibrates like when you run the A/C on. Nothing Major. but once it warms up, it drives like a champ...

Just concerned that Vag com logs shows random misfires on all cylinders...

Wait, so you are not getting misfire codes thrown?

redjet1

Passed Driver's Ed
Wait, so you are not getting misfire codes thrown?

That is correct. No check engine light and no codes thrown. However when I am data logging the engine with Vag Com (vcds) on reading values 014, 015,016 it shows misfires logged on all cylinders at anytime.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
That is correct. No check engine light and no codes thrown. However when I am data logging the engine with Vag Com (vcds) on reading values 014, 015,016 it shows misfires logged on all cylinders at anytime.

As in, always its showing misfires? Or is it random? I guess I wouldn't worry about it if it isn't throwing codes... you said the idle is back to normal now or not?

redjet1

Passed Driver's Ed
As in, always its showing misfires? Or is it random? I guess I wouldn't worry about it if it isn't throwing codes... you said the idle is back to normal now or not?

Yes, Idle is smooth as silk (when engine warmed up.. ) when cold starting, it hesitates a little...

The misfires are shown random on vcds logs. It happens at any given rpm but usually while cruising. no misfire at Idle. No misfire up top high revs. Oh well... maybe there is a big piece of gunk stuck somewhere after the valves... going to seafoam it and go on a long drive to see if things get better..

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Yes, Idle is smooth as silk (when engine warmed up.. ) when cold starting, it hesitates a little...

The misfires are shown random on vcds logs. It happens at any given rpm but usually while cruising. no misfire at Idle. No misfire up top high revs. Oh well... maybe there is a big piece of gunk stuck somewhere after the valves... going to seafoam it and go on a long drive to see if things get better..

Hmm, well the seafoam might help, but its unlikely.. can you notice it missing? I mean, if its not throwing a code for it, I would think its fine.. its misfires on all cylinders though, not just one or two?

redjet1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmm, well the seafoam might help, but its unlikely.. can you notice it missing? I mean, if its not throwing a code for it, I would think its fine.. its misfires on all cylinders though, not just one or two?

Yeah, it misfires on all cylinders randomly... I think it is normal. I logged my friends stock gti and another stock cc and they all do this misfire thing... Also spoke with a friend who chips cars with revo tunes and he stated that they all misfire a little and that as long as the cel doesn't come on, then I'm fine...