GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone else doing the Keto Diet?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Ive been doing it for almost a week now. Im down 10lbs(probably all water weight) and or due to cutting out soda and other beverages besides water.

The diet is pretty simple and made me realize how much crap is in so much food but my stomach has not been liking the adjustment period. Unless this is all part of the "keto Flu"?

Any experiences of others with the keto flu? Or how long before your guts stopped trying to dehydrate and kill you. lol

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
A buddy of mine did that and got very sick for a week and then he used some emergenc electro mix electrolyte stuff to help his body...I work in EMS and have read about and seen several studies that this diet may not be entirely all the that good for your body.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
Day 3 of keto style diet. Keto flu is basically carb withdraw. I have had headache, diarrhea, & fatigue. Passed a turd recently and it was solid, so that was a win for me. I keep carbs under 50g a day, but try to do less. My fat and protein intake is about the same, but I believe fat is suppose to be higher than protein.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I did this diet for about 3-4 months last year, went from ~230 lbs to ~200 taking it semi seriously without too much cheating.

Never actually got sick, keeping hyrated was crucial

I actually felt great overall. More energy, strength, less cravings, more appropriate appetite.

Another good by-product of this diet is to really limit your risk of developing diabetes.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
This is basically just cutting all carbs right? Man I need to have more will power. I suck at dieting so bad.
under 20 net carbs a day for full keto.

Day 3 of keto style diet. Keto flu is basically carb withdraw. I have had headache, diarrhea, & fatigue. Passed a turd recently and it was solid, so that was a win for me. I keep carbs under 50g a day, but try to do less. My fat and protein intake is about the same, but I believe fat is suppose to be higher than protein.
my first 3 days were simple... now ive got the squirts... (my first 3 days were filled with headaches and fatigue but i attributed that to the soda caffeine withdraws) maybe it was a combo of caffeine and carb withdraws.

I went full keto under 20 carbs a day. The first 3 days were around 20 carbs(but under) but the last 2 days i have been under 10 carbs. Yesterday i only did 4.6 net carbs. Although i am going to up my calorie intake as i think the defecit i was at was way too low they had me on 1400 calories a day(due to tables) but i checked a couple other places and i should be around 1800 calories a day for me weight and body fat percentage.

I did this diet for about 3-4 months last year, went from ~230 lbs to ~200 taking it semi seriously without too much cheating.

Never actually got sick, keeping hyrated was crucial

I actually felt great overall. More energy, strength, less cravings, more appropriate appetite.

Another good by-product of this diet is to really limit your risk of developing diabetes.

My buddy did it for about 3 months and lost 50 lbs with intense working out as well. I drink about 3 liters a day minimum in water now (never really drank water before).

I also got a magnesium/potassium supplement from GNC for the electrolyte replenish.

I hit the gym with my buddy who did the keto about 4 days a week.
I started at 236 and im down to 225 my goal is to be bellow 200. My buddy who got me on the diet and exercise plan was like 230 and he now weighs 185.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I would recomend any of you all who are on this deit to by tho keto test strips.. you just pee on it and it changes colors based on how many ketones are in your system.

I got them on Wednesday which was about 4 days into the diet fully ( i started officially on Sunday) but i had cut soda and really limited carbs probably less than 100 a day on last Thursday.
But anyways the test strip let me know i was in ketosis as i tested positive with large amounts of ketones in my urine.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Bart, Keto flu is the withdraws of symptoms of carbs. Also you need to lower your carbs a lot more ~30 and under is alright 20 and under good and 10 or under excellent.
Fat should be more than protein based on the ammount of activity you do. If you work construction and or train 5 intense days a week you would need more protein then someone who sits in a AC office and doesnt work out.

My typical day now is around 100grams of protien, less than 20 grams of carbs, and 140 grams of fat with calories around 1700. Thats a break down on my at 5'11" 225lbs with a calorie deficit of 30% and moderate exersice routine with 3 days of intense work out per week with 1-2 days of casual working out.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Drink more water. Like, a lot more. I keep a Brita pitcher on my desk, and I usually refill it twice a day. If you're bonking during workouts, Hammer Endurolyte pills work wonders (they're also great at hangover prevention).

...read about and seen several studies that this diet may not be entirely all the that good for your body.

The main point of it is to cut out sugar, fried foods, and bullshit snacks, and switch to getting your calories from protein, natural fats, and vegetables instead of processed carbs and fried salty snacks. I'm not sure how that isn't good for your body.

kram

Ready to race!
Have done Keto extensively with varying degrees of success throughout the years. Overall, I like it...I functioned just fine w/ minimal carbs & workouts/strength was generally good.

There are some potential downsides to it IMO. One is compliance...it can be tough with social events/general lifestyle. Right now, it wouldnt work for me so I take a less-restrictive approach & just track macros. Another is it can make you view carbs as the 'devil', which of course, they're not. You can get just as fat on a Keto diet as you can on a diet with carbs if you dont account for overall calorie intake.

A mistake I see a lot of people make (& I have made too) is eating too much protein & not enough fat. Keep your fat content way up if you want to see progress.

kram

Ready to race!
My typical day now is around 100grams of protien, less than 20 grams of carbs, and 140 grams of fat with calories around 1700. Thats a break down on my at 5'11" 225lbs with a calorie deficit of 30% and moderate exersice routine with 3 days of intense work out per week with 1-2 days of casual working out.

Man, 1700 calories seems awwwwwwwwwfully low for someone 225 lbs & training the way you do. You're not leaving yourself much room to drop calories if/when progress stalls.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
Bart, Keto flu is the withdraws of symptoms of carbs. Also you need to lower your carbs a lot more ~30 and under is alright 20 and under good and 10 or under excellent.
Fat should be more than protein based on the ammount of activity you do. If you work construction and or train 5 intense days a week you would need more protein then someone who sits in a AC office and doesnt work out.

I'm just doing it to lose weight quicker, as I have gained a ton of weight over the last 2ish years. My heaviest was 287, but I'm at 274 now, and I'll be happy at 240-245. That is my in shape weight anyway. I have my eating under control, so as long as I can do light workout and diet(eat at a deficit/keto) for a couple of months, I will more than likely introduce carbs back into my diet. I just won't be shoveling in an abhorrent amount of food everyday like I have been the last two years. Calories have been pretty low for a man of my size, 1400-1600, so we will see how that goes. I am curious whether or not I am achieving ketosis though. I need some of those strips.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Man, 1700 calories seems awwwwwwwwwfully low for someone 225 lbs & training the way you do. You're not leaving yourself much room to drop calories if/when progress stalls.
these calorie calculators are so off on some.. i did one and it told me to do 1400 calories, another the 1700 and another 2500.
I went for the middle one.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I'm just doing it to lose weight quicker, as I have gained a ton of weight over the last 2ish years. My heaviest was 287, but I'm at 274 now, and I'll be happy at 240-245. That is my in shape weight anyway. I have my eating under control, so as long as I can do light workout and diet(eat at a deficit/keto) for a couple of months, I will more than likely introduce carbs back into my diet. I just won't be shoveling in an abhorrent amount of food everyday like I have been the last two years. Calories have been pretty low for a man of my size, 1400-1600, so we will see how that goes. I am curious whether or not I am achieving ketosis though. I need some of those strips.
i bought the strips on amazon prime for like $5. GNC sells em for like ~10.