GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WHERE ARE YOU GETTING YOUR AFTERMARKET PARTS?

JhnR

Banned
dude the GTi (modded or not) is no comparison to the feel and ride in an R. I am HAPPY I bought it and can't wait to be 2+

You still comin to Cali i want a ride.

JhnR

Banned
wanna buy my cherries? :) lol im debating if i should sell them get coils...

MJM Autohaus

GolfMkV Sponsor
On the big software debate you guys have going on the 2nd page, as well as a little of on this page near at the top, we here at MJM Autohaus (www.mjmautohaus.com) would like interject a little as a long time software dealer of APR, NEUSPEED and REVO. We've flashed hundreds of cars here in-house and can give you guys a little insight on the differences between them all, what they do, what they don't do, what to expect and which might be best for your car based on the type of driving you do, your budget, power goals, etc.

We've flashed cars with each the three (3) companies listed above and can tell you that, for the most part, when doing a simple "Stage I Flash", you're not going to see a whole lot of difference between the three in respect to power (at least that you can feel with the butt dyno). We've done it many times. This is, of course, if you're talking about a bone stock versus a bone stock car - NO OTHER MODS! We've done it and can tell you that they're all within a horsepower or two of each other. Meaning, you're not going to flash one with Chip A and run it head-to-head at the track or on the street against Chip B (again, stock for stock) and have one pull away from the other. It's pretty darn close, though; we're talking half a fender or so, and even then, a lot of that can depend on the fuel used, how the other components on the car are working, who the driver is, etc. For the most part, it's a wash (give or take). Again, this is on a "Stage I Flash", if you will.

Okay, now where the three (APR, REVO and NEUSPEED) differentiate is with the different settings each does (or doesn't come with) for an extra few bucks. For example, both APR and REVO, for an additional charge, allow you to turn the software on and off with a Valet mode (i.e. for instances when a wife might drive it, a buddy might borrow it, your son is taking the car, it's being valeted, etc). You can essentially turn the software off altogether, putting the car back to complete stock power levels. This is something you cannot do with NEUSPEED, however, the NEUSPEED software does not have the ability for the driver (you) to turn the program on and off; only we can do it at our shop, it's not something the owner can do without us. With APR and REVO, you can do it yourself from the cockpit of the car. In addition to being able to turn the software on and off, both APR and REVO allow you to change settings on the software dependent on the octane of fuel you'd like to run (i.e. 91 octane, 93 octane, 100 octane, etc). With APR, these things are done via your OEM cruise control buttons for ease of use and the stealth factor. Your cruise control will continue to function as normal, but will give you the ability to scroll through the programs you have purchased with your APR ECU Upgrade (for an extra fee). The procedure is simple and involves only two steps with APR. With REVO, functions similar to these (and more) are done via an SPS unit, that like APR's options, are extra in price (on top of buying the software). The SPS unit from REVO allows you to tinker with boost, fueling and throttle; something not available from APR or NEUSPEED.

In addition, both APR and REVO have "Stage II" files for most turbo cars that allow you to achieve additional horsepower and torque with a "Stage II Flash" when adding things like full turbo-back exhaust, intake, front mount intercooler, injectors, etc. And to take it even a step further, REVO (and now recently APR) allow for custom "Stage III" software for your DIY big turbo guys who would like to source your own turbos, manifolds, bigger injectors and choosing to do the reliable, turn-key and well engineered Stage III+ Turbo Kit from APR (as seen in the MJM Autohaus in-house demo car). Choosing which software is right for you is dependent upon a few things (including cost) and we've tried to outline each of them for you. NEUSPEED is typically going to be the least in cost, while APR is going to be the most. Feel free to email us HERE with any questions on software for your car if you're local to us. If not, check out your local APR, NEUSPEED or REVO dealer for any questions we may have not covered here.

ThatJohnGuy

pppffftttt
So show me WHERE in the WORLD I can get a switchable file tune from APR for my 2012 Golf R. It doesn't exist yet. Well it might but it is not out on market.

I have to disagree with you respectfully. The Neuspeed was a more agressive tune than APR. I know personally from MkV experience. I lived in Camarillo for a while. I had APR, they had Neuspeed. I even had an intake on. still walked.

With more respect, I am set. I am waiting for the new GIAC file. I know APR is coming out with their updated file by Christmas, but hopefully GIAC will be out by then too. I have never had an interest in Revo, and Neuspeed is too far away to be practical. The nearest APR dealer is 4.5 hours from me. The nearest GIAC, 35 minutes. \

On an positive note, that was a GREAT post that really puts it into Barney tatus for all to understand. Thanks for the input man!

ThatJohnGuy

pppffftttt
Getting ready for more power I see :)

I still need to ride in an R.. I've sat in one and it's super nice but never felt tha powaaa

I will be in Ventura/LA counties next week. We will have to meet up. I will take you up stunt road in my R :p

MJM Autohaus

GolfMkV Sponsor
So show me WHERE in the WORLD I can get a switchable file tune from APR for my 2012 Golf R. It doesn't exist yet. Well it might but it is not out on market.

I have to disagree with you respectfully. The Neuspeed was a more agressive tune than APR. I know personally from MkV experience. I lived in Camarillo for a while. I had APR, they had Neuspeed. I even had an intake on. still walked.

With more respect, I am set. I am waiting for the new GIAC file. I know APR is coming out with their updated file by Christmas, but hopefully GIAC will be out by then too. I have never had an interest in Revo, and Neuspeed is too far away to be practical. The nearest APR dealer is 4.5 hours from me. The nearest GIAC, 35 minutes. \

On an positive note, that was a GREAT post that really puts it into Barney tatus for all to understand. Thanks for the input man!

Well, "walked", while it shouldn't be, is actually quite the subjective (and exaggerated word) in racing. To us, a chipped GTI 2.0T would "walk" a stock Golf 2.5L head-to-head (by car lengths). Let's be honest, that is no race whatsoever. And again, we've run (literally) dozens of freshly chipped cars head-on here behind our shop that we've done right here in-house and "Stage I for Stage I", nobody is "walking" anyone (at least with our customer cars we've done it with). But like mentioned above, that depends on what you consider "walking" to be. We've laughed at guys on YouTube claiming they walked their buddy's car when beating them by a half a fender was what they were considered to be "walked." That's hardly being "walked", no? Half a fender?

Also, keep in mind that we posted this for the new guys who might not be real savvy with VAG performance horsepower. By reading your post, you seem to know a little about the differences between the three and have some knowledge and solid experience. Not trying to bench race or argue with anyone; just trying to get the newbs a full-on explanation or answers to a "FAQ" page if you will. The APR vs. REVO. vs. GIAC battles get extremely heavy on the web (especially on the Vortex), and while we stay out of the mud-slinging and brand battles in those threads, we simply want to give you OUR EXPERIENCES with each, both with our cars and our customers. If you've claimed to have seen a NEUSPEED car "walk" an APR car, so be it, but we've done tons of them here for over a half decade with both and have never seen that happen. I suppose it's not impossible, though, as there are certainly some variables that should be taken into consideration.

As far as GIAC goes, there is no doubt that they put out a quality product. We don't do their flashing in-house, but we have sold their plug-n-play chips for many, many years for the older MK3 and Corrado models. Mr. Garrett knows what time it is; no doubt about that. GIAC is 100% software - they aren't spending time and R&D on intercoolers, exhausts, brakes and intakes - all software all of the time! There is something to be said about that, as respected forced inducted tuners AWE Tuning and VF-Engineering use their software with their kits. We have no experience with any of their OBD port files in-house to speak of, but reading their feedback online, they seem to have very happy campers rocking their wares. It's not a priority right now for us as a shop, but maybe one day offering their stuff at our facility will be a consideration.

ThatJohnGuy

pppffftttt
yeah Walked was used loosely.. I am not really into the "racing" aspect of all this. I am still learning terms ha ha It was about door to headlight until I don't know what happened and he just started going... I am sure both files have been updated and revamped since 2007. I might be remembering the wrong pull all together ha ha.

I do get and appreciate the knowledge you brought in both your posts. I am still a noob in a sense. I will always consider myself a noob. I think that someone with ZERO knowledge or experience could make an informed decision based on your posts.

I am also making my choice of GIAC on the mods I will be putting on and where they are coming from. :) Like you said certain vendors work close with GIAC. I happen to be stocking my car with their parts I am looking into the stage 2 and 2+ tunes more than the Stage 1. I have APR stage 1 now, but will be switching as soon as GIAC comes out with their file. There is nothing wrong with APR at all, but at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and being satisfied right? :)

Lets see if I can order anything off your site..