GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattle on Deceleration

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Check for a deteriorated gasket and possible loose hardware and try tapping heat shields to recreate the sound and maybe try bending some corners to change the surrounding area. Let us know.

A loose heat shield is a good shout as they can make a similar noise, as the noise is easily reproduced it might be a good idea to have the car on a lift while the car is revved the same as in the video, I would think you could easily trace it that way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mk6Sam

Just thought I'd give an update.

Had the catback welded to the downpipe still didn't fix my problem...Car has a new downpipe gasket as well.

Don't see any signs of leaks anywhere. Could it be the wastegate on the turbo making this noise?

Appreciate any info, Thanks.

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
I'm having the same problem again. Before the sound was when from my wastegate on f23t was sliding off. Unfortunately the wastegate flap can only be inspected if you pull the down pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Ok so, I am having a similar issue and instead of making a new post I'll just post here.

My Beluga cat-back is hitting up against the heat shield that surrounds the fuel tank. Is there some sort of trick to get the rattle to stop? I can't bend the heat shield any further back and where the exhaust sits when the car is off is free and clear of the heat shield.

I've tried undoing the clamps where the cat-back meets the downpipe and where the mufflers attach to the rest of the cat-back. Just to try to get that cat-back further away from the heat shield but no luck... it still rattles... usually when I turn. But it will rattle when idling.

Would an appropriate next step be to replace the plastic hangers? The ones on there right now aren't cracked but I'm thinking they might be worn and if I get new, stiffer, ones it may hold the exhaust in place better and prevent the exhaust from moving around so much when driving and thus not rattle.

Am I correct in this thinking? And if so, what exhaust hangers do you recommend?

Thanks!

Mk6Sam

Thought I'd add more info to this thread. Doing more research, I'm 99% sure that it's my wastegate that is loose and/or "gone bad", not bad enough to throw any codes or have driveability issues though.

Found this video that shows exactly what I'm experiencing as well: https://youtu.be/9laswnZ_DH8

Guess I'll just drive it with the noise for now until something major happens that requires the need for a new turbo...might be in the market for a CCTA K03 lol.

jysaw

Ready to race!
Thought I'd add more info to this thread. Doing more research, I'm 99% sure that it's my wastegate that is loose and/or "gone bad", not bad enough to throw any codes or have driveability issues though.

Found this video that shows exactly what I'm experiencing as well: https://youtu.be/9laswnZ_DH8

Guess I'll just drive it with the noise for now until something major happens that requires the need for a new turbo...might be in the market for a CCTA K03 lol.

Will the wastegate clip fix it?

Mk6Sam

Can the wastegate be repaired/serviced?

On these turbos what I've seen/read is that you can't and have to buy a new unit. Luckily they are fairly cheap on the used market, because of people going with a bigger turbo.