GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dynaudio system - how does it measure?

untangle

Ready to race!
Use of the fader shifts the overall tonal balance of the system. This is mainly b/c the frequency response of the F and R drivers is quite diff (e.g., no tweeters in the rear).

Therefore, you have to use EQ to restore tonal balance after every nontrivial change in the fader.

(This is common in most cars.)

Bob

engineered2win

Ready to race!
Use of the fader shifts the overall tonal balance of the system. This is mainly b/c the frequency response of the F and R drivers is quite diff (e.g., no tweeters in the rear).

Therefore, you have to use EQ to restore tonal balance after every nontrivial change in the fader.

(This is common in most cars.)

Bob
Aren't there tweeters above the armrest in the rear doors?

I currently have a RNS510 with the oe Premium 8 speakers. I've noticed the internal amp is pretty weenie. I had a Pioneer Z130 in the car for a while and between the 8 band eq and marginally more power I noticed a huge improvement in sound quality. The Premium 8 speakers seem to be fairly decent if you can supply them with enough power. The RNS510 has muddy bass and the tweeters seem to be harsher than with the Pioneer. I'd like to keep the VW radio due to it's superior integration vs aftermarket navi units, but I definitely need an external amp. The overall tone of the music is somewhat painful to listen to admittedly. I also HATE the sound of satellite radio. I don't know if it's the poor quality or the equalization, but it's just irritating. I've noticed that bluetooth audio doesn't seem to be sent through whatever equalization algorithm as the other media sources in the radio. The bass and midrange sound a lot cleaner via bluetooth for whatever reason. I have the radio set to linear equalization in VCDS, but it still seems like there is some internal equalization but for all I know it's just a low powered amp.

I'm expecting to spend ~$600 on either a Cleansweep, 4 channel amp, and decent components for the front or retrofitting the dynaudio system. I've found the wiring harness', amp, and speakers on ebay.de. I just would like to know if you think an aftermarket setup would be better given the two systems would be roughly the same price and aftermarket being much easier to install.

Last edited:

untangle

Ready to race!
Tough decision

I'm not familiar with the '510 system. If there are tweeters in the rear door, they are probably only marginally effective for front passengers.

As to the OEM Dynaudio vs custom system, that's really tough.

I think that the Dynaudio route would be cleaner and lead to higher resale value for the car. But the Dynaudio has its own sonic limitations.

With either of your proposed solutions, remember that the head unit is also sonically flawed.

Audio mods in cars are a slippery slope - one that most of us have been down before.

I'd go the Dynaudio route (if I was sure that I could pull it off).

Bob

wargasm594

Ready to race!
Audio is certainly subjective. And a lot depends on what style music you listen to.

I tried the settings and thought it sounded horrible. Super muddy/muffled to my ears...

I'll experiment more once I have a proper sub installed and see how it goes.

I wonder how the Fender and Dynaudio compare? Anyone heard both?

hate to reply so late... LOL

Fender branded stereo is actually just Panasonic. :confused:

oh well.

How do you all set the bass so low and get away with it?

Obviously I need to test and see what's up.

tekyguy

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm actually listening at 18-23 for the most part at these levels. I'm also mainly listening to BPM on sirriusxm which is really bass heavy.

Does anyone have a pin out for the dynaudio amp harness? I'm about to hook up my amplified sub and I really don't want to play guessing games here.

tekyguy

Passed Driver's Ed

I just wanted to let you all know that I installed my powered sub yesterday and dialed it in today. I don't think the dynaudio amp is filtering any frequencies to the rear speakers because my sub is producing low end frequencies I never even heard on the stock setup. Here is under my hood and a few other pics.

Thanks to this thread for the wiring information on how to tap the rear speakers at the B pillars.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35644

The system sounds amazing and I'm still playing with the head unit levels as well as the crossover and level on the sub to get it right. I'll let you all know what I land at. Oh sub how I've missed you!!!

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
tekguy did you use a LOC off of the rear speakers for an input on your powered sub?

I'm trying to add a sub to a dynaudio system and have read this is about the only way to do it.....

bazooie

not a fan

I've had my 2012 autobahn with dynaudio for about a month, and ... I hate the audio quality. OP's db charts match what I'm hearing; too much treble, and the bass while punchy enough, has deep sustain which softens the impact and just ends up adding to my treble induced fatigue.

I'm not sure where the sub is, or how big it is. It sounds like one of those Bose audio tube contraptions in older model Mazda rx7s. I'll replace that for improved response.

I'm curious about the mid speakers though. My guess is that they may have built in tweeters, or are a plastic membrane. If so I think I might try some mid priced replacements from crutchfield. If not... Then is it really the cabin size???

Curious if anyone has tried replacing dynaudio sub/mids, maybe even the tweeters?

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
I'm not sure where the sub is, or how big it is. It sounds like one of those Bose audio tube contraptions in older model Mazda rx7s. I'll replace that for improved response.

I'm curious about the mid speakers though. My guess is that they may have built in tweeters, or are a plastic membrane....

The stock Dynaudio system does not have a separate subwoofer. There are (2) tweeters in the upper part of the front doors and (4) midrange speakers in the front and rear doors or rear seat panels if two door.

bazooie

The stock Dynaudio system does not have a separate subwoofer. There are (2) tweeters in the upper part of the front doors and (4) midrange speakers in the front and rear doors or rear seat panels if two door.

Ah, I was fooled by the gap in the midrange! Hmm, now I want to upgrade but don't know where to start.