GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gunkata's 2011 UG Autobahn 6MT

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Current Mod list:

APR Stage 2 (12/22/11 on)
Stoptech 4piston ST40 BBK w/ black calipers with slotted and zinc coated rotors :thumbup: installed 9/30/11
Prior brake setup: Boxster (Non-S) / Brembo Calipers w/ SS Lines - in some pics, till 6/5/2011, then back to stock calipers for a while with Stoptech pads, and USP (techna fit) front and rear SS lines, also using ATE Superblue fluid.
Stoptech Rear pads put on 4/4/12
AWE TBE (12/22/11), back to stock CBE with AWE DP 3/2/12
S3 Intercooler (1/16/2012)
AWE S3 IC Hoses (1/31/2012)
Carbonio Stage 1+2 Intake
Golf R Tinted Tails
Golf R Front Grille (upper)
S3 Short Shifter
DG Springs
Eibach 26mm Front and 23mm Rear Sways (rear removed on 1/16/12)
H&R 24mm Rear Sway Bar - 1/16/12 on
Magnaflow CBE (till 12/22/11)
Euro Headlight Switch
AWE Silver pedals
CIM Vent Boost Gauge
ECS Hatch Pop Kit
ECS Blue tinted blindspot mirrors
ECS LED plate lights (Racing Dash)
Parts4Euro Clear Sidemarkers (in early pics)
Color Matched Sidemarkers by member "john@FTC5" (current)
Black Pearl Mirror Covers by member "john@FTC5"
Gloss black License plate frame - VW OEM "GTI" frame,also by John@FTC5
Gloss Black lower front valence, painted by local shop
PIAA 4150K Fog Bulbs - fairly close match to the xenons, later swapped for Hoen H8 Xenon Match bulbs, then back to the PIAA's as they look good with the Lamin-X optic blue film.
LED City Lights 6000K
Lamin-X Optic Blue fog film
OEM Front lip in black
Various VAGCOM mods/coding
35% tint rear, 50% front and tinted rear bumper reflectors and third brake light (www.umbrawindowtinting.com)
Roof Vinyl Wrapped in gloss black by Extreme Graphics, Villa Park IL
RB Styling front VW Emblem (black gloss over chrome)
Rear VW emblem sticker inserts, CF "look" from Ebay
Debadged rear GTI emblem
"GTI" brushed aluminum seat inserts
TWM Performance Type R shift knob, satin with 6spd pattern
Magnaflow Exhaust tips on the stock CBE 4/7/2012
CarID interior dash kit, gloss black
USP RFB MK6 GTI/GLI 2.0TSI Compact Fog Light HID Conversion Kit H8 - 4300k

To be installed:
South Bend Stage 2 Daily Silent Clutch
APR K04 Kit

Wheels and Tires:

Sold, but in many pics: 18” OZ Ultraleggeras (18.5lbs), with 235/40/18 Kumho SPT

Winter and Track rims: 17x8 TR Motorsports (17.5lbs) with LM60 Blizzaks 225/45/17 for winter, Bridgestone RE-11's 235/45/17 for track.

Summer: VMR V708 (RS4 reps) 18x8.5 +45 and Sumitomo HTR Z III's for daily driving 225/40/18

Here’s the car in stock form :

And here’s one of the old cars to check out too ;)

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-memb...is-r-kw-v3s-damd-wheel-evo-x-mr-bbs-rims.html

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
R/Tinted LED Tails on with tinted bumper reflectors and third brake light:

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Pics of the Magnaflow exhaust, Carbonio Stage 1 intake, OZ Ultraleggera's with Star Specs, OEM black lip, pinstriped black grille. Please excuse the dirty engine bay.

Updated with Golf R grille and paintmatched sidemarkers:

The Porsche Boxster (non-S) BBK is just calipers and ss lines, pads, ATE superblue fluid - I retained the stock 312mm rotors with this kit. They will later be upgraded to slotted cryo rotors. The calipers must weight at least 5-10lbs less per corner now, compared to stock. IMHO, the initial bite is improved about 20-30%, and I'd say that there is probably a good 30-40% increase in hard braking on the street, so the track should show substantial results, if not for the most part in long term cooling/keeping the fluid cool.

Gingerman Raceway, MI 4/23/2011

DG Springs 5/2/2011

5/4/11 APR "Tuned" emblem replacing R Emblem - kinda felt weird having the R emblem since the R is coming, similar to a WRX with STI badges :lol:

Black Mirror Caps from John and additional settling of the DG Springs 5/12/11

6/13 - Here's some updated pics with the VW emblem and roof wrap. The wrap is pretty subtle, imho.

6/24/11 Pics of CF "look" VW "filler" stickers on the emblem, debadged/removed rear "GTI" emblem, and then the lower grille/valence was painted gloss black. I am very happy with both :thumbup:

August 6, 2011 @ Grattan Raceway:

8/16/11 -
Here's the BH plate and rear frame painted by john@FTC5, as well as the optic blue lamin-x on the fog lights. I like the film because it kinda "tones down" the side "glass" look that the fogs have.

The plate definitely... "sticks out", lol. But I like it, and it was my grandfathers plate in RI, but I never met him, as he died when my dad was like 19 or something. So I know it not only means a lot to me, but definitely my dad.

Track day 8/19 @ Autobahn Country Club, Joliet IL:

Stoptech BBK (made in the USA) installed 9/30/11 by DBESTGTI :

Pro-shots from the track day on 10/3 at Autobahn Country Club:

Winter 17x8 TR Motorsports with 225/45/17 Blizzaks:

AWE Pedals installed, Fall 2011:

(sorry for the dirty/wet interior - its been a rough and rainy end of fall here!)

Really compliments the interior:

March 2012: VMR 18x8.5 V708's mounted with Sumitomo HTR Z III's 225/40/18. Great price and service from Redline Motorworks.

TWM Performance Satin Type R knob, Golf Shifter boot, and gloss black shifter trim piece I got from Michal. (need to confirm brand). The knob is great and the shifter trim looks exactly like stock OEM black pieces, great little touch to spruce up that area.

April 7, 2012 Magnaflow tips put on stock CBE by a Meineke Muffler shop.

Comparisons-

Stock:

Magnaflow CBE:

Stock CBE with Magnaflow tips:

I like the look of this and am overall happy with it. It is noticeable if you go look under the car, and the welds are nothing too crazy - I thought I'd be more "excited" about this, but I am liking the look again and not having the soundmaker right now. They do sit a tad further out than the MF CBE, so I'd have to see how far they are in relation to other local catbacks like EJ, BB, and even APR.

Last edited:

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
Do you have any input on stainless brake lines? I've read mixed reviews. Those GTC01 remind me of Superleggeras, they look nice.

Arash007ir

Ready to race!
Golf R Tinted Tails (going on this weekend!!!!)
Euro Headlight Switch (going on this weekend)

Post some pictures when your done with these two.
I Haven't seen a GTI in Chicago area with LED taillights.
I hope to see you driving around so I get an Idea how they look on the car.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Do you have any input on stainless brake lines? I've read mixed reviews. Those GTC01 remind me of Superleggeras, they look nice.

SS - I had them on the STI. When you upgrade fluid and lines, and some slightly better aftermarket pads, you will notice the difference on the track and perhaps slightly on the street for extreme stopping. I love the GTC01 look, just wish they didn't weigh as much, but I may get them anyway and try to pick tires that weigh a few lbs less than another tire brand.

There is a GTD with them that I've seen. He posts on here - I think his username is Vauug or something. I will definitely be getting pics asap.

:paddle::laugh: say what?

McQueen77

Banned
Nice car man! Do you find that the 17"s give a bit of a softer ride than the 18"s you swapped out?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yes, it was definitely noticeable, but only slightly. However, I am most likely going back to 18’s for summer/track use, even though I know 17’s typically ride smoother, are better for mpg, and typically better for tracking.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
Thought I’d get the journal started as things start going on the car more and more.

Current and planned mods below:

APR Stage 1 (when released)
APR Front and Rear Sways (end of March)
ECS Hatch Pop Kit (currently on – liking it and kinda not liking it, we’ll see)
LED Rear Plate Lights (have ECS kit, will probably go with another kit though)
Parts4Euro Clear Sidemarkers (incoming)
Wheels/Tires – (March) Still trying to decide between 17” Enkei PF01’s (17lbs), 18” OZ Ultraleggeras (18.5), or 18” Enkei GTC01’s (21.2) (pay a slight weight penalty, but looks great)
DOT4 Brake Fluid, SS Lines, and upgraded pads (June most likely)
Traded my 18" Detroits for 17" Denvers for winter/snow action.
OEM Front lip in black (not in the current pics:

i like all those words.:lol:

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Thought I’d get the journal started as things start going on the car more and more.

Current and planned mods below:

APR Stage 1 (when released)
APR Front and Rear Sways (end of March)
ECS Hatch Pop Kit (currently on – liking it and kinda not liking it, we’ll see)
LED Rear Plate Lights (have ECS kit, will probably go with another kit though)
Parts4Euro Clear Sidemarkers (incoming)
Wheels/Tires – (March) Still trying to decide between 17” Enkei PF01’s (17lbs), 18” OZ Ultraleggeras (18.5), or 18” Enkei GTC01’s (21.2) (pay a slight weight penalty, but looks great)
DOT4 Brake Fluid, SS Lines, and upgraded pads (June most likely)
Traded my 18" Detroits for 17" Denvers for winter/snow action.
OEM Front lip in black (not in the current pics)

:

Sounds great - I work in Lisle , I will keep an eye out for you :thumbsup:

APdubbin

Ready to race!

Same here im really interested in how those tails look in person.
I def hope I see u around haha :thumbsup:
Nice thread man, im gonna stay chimed in.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

Sean R

Ready to race!
Welcome to the boards I am a fellow sub owner and made the switch I saw you post on Nasioc