GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering wheel alignment

maine-mk6

Passed Driver's Ed
I've noticed that my steering wheel isn't aligned with the wheels. If I make the steering wheel straight visually to the driver the car drifts right. Is there a way to correct this?

wmssbr10

Passed Driver's Ed
Adjust the tie rods. There is a video in the DIY section. Just did it this past weekend as I had the same issue.

JoeCap

Ready to race!
Adjust the tie rods. There is a video in the DIY section. Just did it this past weekend as I had the same issue.

I would advise against this. Unless you have an alignment rack in your garage, just take it somewhere and get it realigned.

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I would advise against this. Unless you have an alignment rack in your garage, just take it somewhere and get it realigned.

This, all day. Let the professionals take this job, they have the proper equipment.

There's too much that can get worn prematurely by trying to do this yourself.

zrickety

The Fixer
You can try a shop alignment...but if the wheel has been this way and the car tracks straight you can adjust both tie rods the same amount and it won't negatively change the alignment. For example, you say when the wheel is straight it goes right...you need to bring both wheels to left...so you could turn the right tie rod OUT about a couple flats (maybe quarter turn) and turn the left tie rod IN a couple flats (the same amount) and alignment will be the same with the wheel more centered. It took me a couple tries but I got it closer than 2 shops that worked on the car. Using chalk marks under there will help you keep track of where it was.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion

This is a really easy thing to do right if you're comfortable with tasks like changing your own oil or spark plugs.

If you want to be fancy buy a pair of $60 toe plates and make sure the measurements are the same after you make your adjustments. If you want to be cheap use some square metal tubing from a hardware store with some bungee cords (to hold tubing against wheel), bubble levels (to keep tubing level), and tape measures.

As long as you don't mess with the rear alignment and the thrust angle is good from a prior alignment you can't do much damage.